Quaker or cockatiel - Talk Parrots Forums

Small Parrots Discuss specific (smaller) species in this forum: Budgies, parrotlets, cockatiels, on up to conures, quakers, and poicephalus.

 9Likes
  • 2 Post By SilverSage
  • 2 Post By SilverSage
  • 2 Post By SilverSage
  • 2 Post By SilverSage
  • 1 Post By SilverSage
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Age: 16
Posts: 7
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quaker or cockatiel

I've been thinking about getting a bird for a while now and it would be my first bird. I've done a lot of research on different species. My list used to include green-cheeked conure and budgie, but there are no GCCs in the country where I live and I'd like to get a hands-on bird so budgie might not be an ideal bird, either. Now I'm thinking of a quaker or a cockatiel. What are your experiences with these birds? And if you have other species in mind, feel free to recommend them.
Turquoise1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:25 PM
 
SilverSage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
I've had both. I always recommend cockatiels. They are in my opinion the ideal pet bird, and I've lived with everything from finches to a macaw. Nothing beats a well raised cockatiel for sweetness. They can talk, the come in lots of colors, they are sweet and affectionate, relatively inexpensive, almost never developed aggressive biting habits (unless you majorly mess them up somehow), they are relatively quiet... basically perfect.


However each person has different desires and different perfect matches. While I think cockatiels are ideal, my perfect match is an Indian Ringneck. It isn't something you can figure out online. The best thing you can do is find a way to spend a good amount of time with ADULT BIRDS (that's really important!) of both species before making your choice. There are differences that just can't be described online.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Peepers and Turquoise1 like this.

Blue Headed Pionus: Mel
Maximilian's Pionus: Sam and Lady
Indian Ringneck: Blue
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Tex, Delta, Buddy, Acu, Sully, Shiloh, Shantilley
Cockatiels: Kiowa, Apache, Chinook, Lakota, Battle
Budgies:Napoleon, Angel, Benning, Thunder, Lighting, Trooper, Marie
Fly Free Scout, IRN.
SilverSage is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverSage For This Useful Post:
Turquoise1 (03-11-2017)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Age: 16
Posts: 7
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
I've had both. I always recommend cockatiels. They are in my opinion the ideal pet bird, and I've lived with everything from finches to a macaw. Nothing beats a well raised cockatiel for sweetness. They can talk, the come in lots of colors, they are sweet and affectionate, relatively inexpensive, almost never developed aggressive biting habits (unless you majorly mess them up somehow), they are relatively quiet... basically perfect.


However each person has different desires and different perfect matches. While I think cockatiels are ideal, my perfect match is an Indian Ringneck. It isn't something you can figure out online. The best thing you can do is find a way to spend a good amount of time with ADULT BIRDS (that's really important!) of both species before making your choice. There are differences that just can't be described online.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. My home country kind of sucks when it comes to pet birds because the options are pretty limited. Even quakers are quite rare here so I might get a cockatiel. I've heard they are quite dusty so what can I do about that?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Turquoise1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:31 PM
 
SilverSage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
May I ask where you live?

And yes cockatiels produce dust. It is fairly easy to manage; give a shallow bowl of water to bathe in at all times,and if your bird doesn't take advantage then you can take them in the shower with you, use a spray bottle, or any number of other bathing options. Use a damp cloth to clean up around the cage area daily to minimize dust.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Peepers and Turquoise1 like this.

Blue Headed Pionus: Mel
Maximilian's Pionus: Sam and Lady
Indian Ringneck: Blue
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Tex, Delta, Buddy, Acu, Sully, Shiloh, Shantilley
Cockatiels: Kiowa, Apache, Chinook, Lakota, Battle
Budgies:Napoleon, Angel, Benning, Thunder, Lighting, Trooper, Marie
Fly Free Scout, IRN.
SilverSage is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverSage For This Useful Post:
Turquoise1 (03-11-2017)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Age: 16
Posts: 7
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
May I ask where you live?

And yes cockatiels produce dust. It is fairly easy to manage; give a shallow bowl of water to bathe in at all times,and if your bird doesn't take advantage then you can take them in the shower with you, use a spray bottle, or any number of other bathing options. Use a damp cloth to clean up around the cage area daily to minimize dust.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in Finland. And how does it work if you want to take a cockatiel in the shower with you?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Turquoise1 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 PM
 
SilverSage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
You can buy shower perches, hold them on your hand, or put them on your shoulder. Some love it, some tolerate it, some hate it lol. Just be sure no matter what that no soap of any kind gets on them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Peepers and Turquoise1 like this.

Blue Headed Pionus: Mel
Maximilian's Pionus: Sam and Lady
Indian Ringneck: Blue
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Tex, Delta, Buddy, Acu, Sully, Shiloh, Shantilley
Cockatiels: Kiowa, Apache, Chinook, Lakota, Battle
Budgies:Napoleon, Angel, Benning, Thunder, Lighting, Trooper, Marie
Fly Free Scout, IRN.
SilverSage is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverSage For This Useful Post:
Turquoise1 (03-11-2017)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Age: 16
Posts: 7
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
You can buy shower perches, hold them on your hand, or put them on your shoulder. Some love it, some tolerate it, some hate it lol. Just be sure no matter what that no soap of any kind gets on them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can I only get one cockatiel and how long can he/she be alone during the day? Are they independent? And how noisy are they (not that a bit of noise is a problem, just curious)?
Turquoise1 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 PM
 
SilverSage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
There is no need to get two, and they can be alone during the day if you provide lots of things to keep their minds busy like foraging toys.

Volume is something that can't really be described. Their calls are typically really high pitched whistles, which some people don't mind and others hate. You really need to spend time in person with them to get a good idea of the noise. Also keep in mind that a bored bird, sick bird, scared bird, or lonely bird are all going to be a lot louder than a happy bird.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Peepers and Turquoise1 like this.

Blue Headed Pionus: Mel
Maximilian's Pionus: Sam and Lady
Indian Ringneck: Blue
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Tex, Delta, Buddy, Acu, Sully, Shiloh, Shantilley
Cockatiels: Kiowa, Apache, Chinook, Lakota, Battle
Budgies:Napoleon, Angel, Benning, Thunder, Lighting, Trooper, Marie
Fly Free Scout, IRN.
SilverSage is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverSage For This Useful Post:
Turquoise1 (03-11-2017)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Age: 16
Posts: 7
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
There is no need to get two, and they can be alone during the day if you provide lots of things to keep their minds busy like foraging toys.

Volume is something that can't really be described. Their calls are typically really high pitched whistles, which some people don't mind and others hate. You really need to spend time in person with them to get a good idea of the noise. Also keep in mind that a bored bird, sick bird, scared bird, or lonely bird are all going to be a lot louder than a happy bird.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alright and thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.
Turquoise1 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 PM
 
SilverSage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Thanks: 6
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
No problem, best of luck


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turquoise1 likes this.

Blue Headed Pionus: Mel
Maximilian's Pionus: Sam and Lady
Indian Ringneck: Blue
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Tex, Delta, Buddy, Acu, Sully, Shiloh, Shantilley
Cockatiels: Kiowa, Apache, Chinook, Lakota, Battle
Budgies:Napoleon, Angel, Benning, Thunder, Lighting, Trooper, Marie
Fly Free Scout, IRN.
SilverSage is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverSage For This Useful Post:
Turquoise1 (03-11-2017)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
hello I would recommend a cockatiel, quackers can be quite vicious most of the timeand extremely loud. yet cockatiels are less noisy and vicious... well if there tamed or hand reared
thebirdexpert is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 PM
 
XxSkai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
based on my research (and being at my friends house who owns 3 quakers and one cockatiel a crazy lot...) I would say cockatiels are generally nicer and easier on you. Turn on the tv/radio and leave them with plenty of toys and clean food and fresh water and they should be fine if they are healthy. However, it is best that you do bond with the cockatiel. They can be especially vocal in mornings and evenings, and they get night frights so cover the cages if you can. They are generally easier and have a calmer demeanor. Quakers are prone to squaking which is really annoying if you hear it all day but cockatiels are generally queter and whistle to themselves a lot. its cute.
XxSkai is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:05 PM
 
Pandapaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Ive had tiels they were nosier then my quaker who talks my tiels never did
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=8-fxwD4iwJ8

Instagram @official_budgiebonkers
Pandapaws is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:08 PM
 
XxSkai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapaws View Post
Ive had tiels they were nosier then my quaker who talks my tiels never did
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=8-fxwD4iwJ8
Strage because my tiel only talks during the morning and the evening. :P I guess they are all different.
XxSkai is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome