Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Conure on craigslist

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Shelly 
#1 ·
Those of you that have sunnys, i have heard the screaming on You Tube, i don't know if i can handle it. I seen a 6 year old Sunconure on Craigslist. Lady says she is cuddly and only loud for a while in the afternoon and never at night. She has a good sized cage with a play top on it that would come with her. 300$ I am waiting for more information. If you had to do it over again would you get a sunny? Would you get a baby? Should i do it? MBS is rearing its ugly head big time lately!:eek:

#5 ·
Haha..."her Kiki is a doll!" Not right now! She's a little teenager!
Let me see...I absolutely love Kiki, would not trade her for anything. I got her for a really good price at the Bird Farm and she has been a really fabulous pet and friend ever since. She does scream at times, and it can be loud. I know some people really can't stand that. I am used to it, and I can handle it, as long as I'm not already irritated about something else, haha. In my honest opinion, it's really not that bad, especially when compared to birds such as macaws and cockatoos. She is definitely not for an apartment. You must also know that this bird could develop screaming habits, on top of whatever noises he/she usually makes. This can be fixed of course but will plainly stink if ever developed.
I suggest you go visit the bird and see for yourself how loud the screams and squawks are. You will probably be surprised at first, but try to evaluate whether that's something you could get used to or overcome.
Any questions I'd be glad to answer! Let us know what you decide. If I were you I'd take her. ;)

#6 ·
There's really no cure for MBS! I think I infected Shelly when I got Harley! :eek:

I think Sun Conures are absolutely beautiful, but they are WAY too loud for our house!

Good luck with MBS!!! We've all been there!

#7 ·
There is no cure for MBS, but, if there were, you would not find it here. ;)

Sunnies are beautiful, affectionate, and only you can evaluated whether or not you can handle their noises. It is totally an personal thing. I'd much rather listen to a conure, any conure, than a macaw or a cockatoo, but I don't have either of those birds, either.

I wish you well in your search for your next bird(s). :)

#10 ·
Sun conures are absolute little dolls, great birds. The noise isn't that horribly loud, really, but the pitch is piercing. Some people can handle it, most cant. That's really the biggest down side of sunnies :shrug: Personally, I can listen to a macaw or cockatoo scream all day and not be bothered but a sun conure is like nails on a chalk board haha

#12 ·
I had a Sun Conure for a while. He was young when I got him and was pretty quiet and as he got older (over a year) he kept getting more noisy as time went on. He would call from the minute he heard my steps on the porch outside until I responded to him. Or if I layed down on the couch (his cage was in the dining room area) he would be good until he heard me get up and then get noisy again. :rolleyes:

I could tolerate the noise pretty well but Hubby was not liking the loudness of the Conure. So to keep marital peace in the house...I rehomed him. :( I think if I had a separate bird room where I could close the door if needed I would have kept him. But having him in the main living area was not working. And I didn't want to have to rehome Dear Hubby. :lol:

Everybody's situation and noise tolerance level is different. Good luck with your decision.

#13 ·
Thank you everyone for all your advice and knowledge. I have found since that she is laying eggs which consernes me. Plus i am leaving on vacation next month and would have to leave her again. I guess i need to think about not only if i can stand the noise but who ever takes care of them while i am gone. Bob, i know about the situation with the Sunny's getting rehomed and that is why i was checking with my peeps here to see what they thought. I have migraines more once in a while and OMG i would hate to have to hear that piercing scream at that time. I totally can't imagine that. I think i am going to wait for my perfect Harley bird to show up out of the blue and make me fall in love. Thanks so much everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.