Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemp Seed

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  jodeg 
#1 ·
I just got a 16oz bag of Hemp seed to use as a treat for my Scarlet Chested Parakeet. All I can say is WOW, he loves it. I will use it along with millet for training. I think right now he will get some in a dish on his playgym to get used to flying to it. Once he gets use to it there, I will feed him from my hand, and have him come to me if he wants the treat.

See less See more
#3 ·
Both of my birds LOVE hemp seed! I use it primarily for clicker training sessions, but also give them one when I walk by their cages, can't help myself!

#4 ·
My birds also love hemp seed! They really go for it if I give them some!

#15 ·
Birds often like it MORE than millet! And millet is a must have! It's gone within seconds :lol:

#17 ·
It is illegal to sell viable hemp seed in the US, so is this seed that you are able to find in the health food stores roasted or something?

#20 ·
It's a small, hard shelled seed, larger than a millet seed. My Parrotlet can actually crack them open and eat the seed faster than my Conure, so the size is perfect for us!

I save the hemp seeds specifically for training, and I also usually give each bird one seed now and then when I walk by their cages, so they know my fingers bring good things! But it's not given to them with their regular food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.