Do Conures Need Cuttlebones & Vitamin K
Talk Parrots Forums

Go Back   Talk Parrots Forums > Talk Parrots > Parrot Nutrition, Diet and Feeding

Discuss

in the

Parrot Nutrition, Diet and Feeding

section at TalkParrots.

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
birdsrloud

I was reading about cuttlebones for supplemental calcium or a mineral blocks. My conure isnt on a full pellet diet yet but I'm working on it. I have always read that roundybush has enough calcium in it for the birds but if sunny beep isnt eating much of them yet, do I need the cuttlebone?

I also read about the vitamin K deficiency in Conures which is a dangerous health condition called Conure Bleeding Syndrome and they suggest feeding Kale. Does anyone know if this sundrome is common with conuresor just a rare occurance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
twink (Sue)

My conures are on pellets, but I always have a cuttlebone/mineral block in their cages too. I don't see how it can hurt, I believe they will only take whats needed by them, so I would stick one in sunny beeps cage. ( love the name ).
Kale and all green leafy veg is a very good source of vitamin K, so be sure to offer it to them often, eggs ( occasionally ) are also another good source of vitamin K.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 AM
birdsrloud

Thank you, It makes sense when you say it couldnt hurt about the cuttlebone. I always worry about everything and over think things. I will get some kale and try different dark leafy lveg. if he will eat it. I have to keep putting new foods in his dish and it takes him a while to try them.

Last edited by birdsrloud; 10-07-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
brekke668 (Carol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsrloud View Post
Thank you, It makes sense when you say it couldnt hurt about the cuttlebone. I always worry about everything and over think things. I will get some kale and try different dark leafy lveg. if he will eat it. I have to keep putting new foods in his dish and it takes him a while to try them.
One way to get birds to try dark leafy veggies is to weave through the bars of the cage or hang them from a clip. Th weaving is how I got my tiels and bugies to try greens.

2 members found this post helpful.