in the

Small Parrots

section at TalkParrots.

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM
bucky91

How much do Senegal parrots cost?

Hello everyone

I think I've decided to get a Senegal parrot for my next bird. The local pet store has one, and I just fell in love. He was such a sweetheart too! However, they're asking $800. Is this reasonable, or way over-priced? About how much do breeders usually charge for a Sennie? I live in Canada, but I'd think prices in the States are somewhat similar.

2 budgies, 2 starlings & a conure

RIP Blueberry, you will be missed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 PM
shanna81 (Shanna)

Just looked on bird farms website. They charge $399

Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 PM
MeanneyFids (Casey)

ive contacted a breeder once too, they offer $650 i believe for a handfed baby

Those Meanney Fids FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Those-...284656?fref=ts
Bird Information Photo Gallery: http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Me...?sort=3&page=1
All posts and photos of mine posted here are copyrighted by Casey Meanney. They are not to be reposted elsewhere without my permission.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Lovebirdlover (Kennedy)

Pet stores always charge a big up charge from the breeders

there was a green cheek conure at my pet store asking for 500
and im sure they bought it for 250 from a breeder.. %100 profit! they are crazy.. LOL

Icicis- Green cheek conure
Shaylee- Bichon Frise

Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 PM
shanna81 (Shanna)

the normal gcc at our pet store is $650!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 PM
bucky91

$650 for a GCC? That's crazy :O There's a lady near where I live who hand-raises them and sells for $170.

$800 does seem a bit overpriced for the Sennie. Even though I really shouldn't get another bird at the moment, I think I'll have to drop by the pet store on Tuesday and ask about him/her. I wonder if they'll tell me who the breeder is? He seems pretty tame, so I'm assuming he was hand-raised.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 AM
shanna81 (Shanna)

I know it is. They have an IRN for $695. Its over 2. No wonder, they are so gigh priced.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 AM
catalinadee (Daisy)

I think that is over priced personally. It all depends where you're from though. Your best bet is to get one from a breeder!

Old 10-31-2011, 04:30 AM
cioci t

It really depends on where you live. I paid $350 for my GCC from one bird store but I've seen them selling for $500 at another. I got my p'let from a breeder but he wasn't a bargain so even some breeders are overpriced.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Shelly

i THINK YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR A BREEDER THAT HAND FEEDS THEM. THEY ARE USUALLY CHEEPER THAT WAY. GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM
nanay (Donna)

I think the prices in Canada are higher than the prices in the states. I don't know how the money compares, either, but whenever I've seen people discussing prices on the forums the Canadian prices are always considerably higher.

My senegal was $350 at a bird store. She was hand fed, but she was on sale because she was weaned and had not yet been purchased. Most of their birds sell while they are still being hand fed. Many species of birds are no more expensive at my bird store than they are from private breeders. Other species are, so it just depends on supply and demand like anything else. Because I can go in and play with the babies while they are being hand-fed, and I do not have to worry about any health issues during this time, I think it is worth it. However, I understand that no everyone has a store like this in their area.

Thanks Shivani for the awesome siggy!
X2
Stanley (bourkes), Roni (senegal), Elisa (lineolated parakeet) and Doug (pacific parrotlet), Daisy (maximilian pionus), Shira (green cheek conure), Ashlynn, (grey), Taylor (princess of wales parakeet), Joelle (quaker), Benny (cockatiel)

Old 11-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Jenny

Every area is different - supply and demand affects costs. At a bird store, the prices are higher than a breeder to be sure. However, if its a quality bird store the bird will be socialized and handled in ways a breeder can't do - meeting new people every day, stepping up willingly for them, being around other bird species, eating all kinds of new foods, etc. I speak from experience having worked at a very good bird specialty store. The breeder's birds were sweet, to be sure, but by the time we had weaned them out they were fantastic pets. Great with kids, adults, men, women, anyone who wanted to hold them could pick them up and snuggle

$800 does seem a little high even for a pet shop, but like others have said it's hard to gauge depending on the area. Bird in FL are cheap because there are SO many breeders here.

Odds are, the shop won't tell you the breeder. Why would they? They know you will just go buy one direct from the breeder. However, if you are attached to this specific bird, see what deals they can offer you. Ask if you can put a deposit and do a payment plan, or if they will give a discount based on the birds age, or if you buy the bird and cage/food, can you get a discount? Most places are willing to negotiate, especially on the price of other items. We never discounted our birds, but depending on the bird would offer 20-40% off cage/toys/etc depending on the amount of other goodies you were buying because the store made absolutely NO profit on the birds, but we marked up other items quite a bit and had a lot more wiggle room.

You have to think of it this way, guys. Yes, the store bought the bird for $300 from the breeder, but then they had to pay staff members to feed it and wean it, pay for any vet trips, pay to feed it and house it for however long, etc. We were lucky to break even on our birds and we had a high mark up on birds - bought quakers for $50, sold them for $150. Bought sunnies for $150, sold them for $450, etc etc. But we bought them at 2-4 weeks old, weaned them, they all went to the vet before going on the sales floor, all got polyoma vaccines ($100 for that alone!), etc. This obviously varies from store to store, but most run about the same. Mind you, I'm referring to the specialty stores, not the chain ones. I have no experience on how they run behind the scenes, but I've worked in 2 specialty shops and worked closely with the owners of a third down here in FL and they all do the same thing. The money isn't in the birds - it's the life long customers you gain by selling the birds who come for supplies, cages, toys, etc. The store I worked at was open for almost 20 years before it went into new hands and has gone horrible - and we had customers who had bought birds there, and shopped there, for all 20 years

Sorry to go on a tangent about the bird shops :blush: Just wanted to explain why they do what they do

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM
bucky91

Thanks for the tips everyone

You're right, Jenny, I doubt they'd want to tell me who the breeder was. Oh well...I went in today, and the Sennie had been sold. They now have a maroon-bellied conure who is every bit as sweet! I just can't decide between a Sennie or conure I think I'll just choose the first one with the sweetest personality that comes along, whatever they are