Getting a Quaker Parrot!

in the

Small Parrots

section at TalkParrots.

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 AM
parrotsrmylife

Getting a Quaker Parrot!

So I may be getting a Quaker from a breeder. I just wanted to know if Quaker Parrots are good pets? What are their qualities? Do they like to hang out with their owners a lot, ect. I've done a lot of research but I really would like more info just to know what I am getting Right now I have my sweet beautiful cockatiel Smokey and my three budgies Lemon,Sprite,and Sunshine. I thought I would add another Addition to my bird family. And people who own quakers, I would love to hear about them!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 AM
katew (Kate)

Welcome to the forum.
Plenty of Quaker owners although I am not one.

Please like me on Facebook Kamelina-Kreations
Kamelinajewelery.wix.com/kamelina-kreations

Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Solace. (Renae)

Keiko *can* be loud, and I mean quite loud, so if you have neighbors close-by, noise level is something to consider, although we had Keiko when we lived in a unit previously, and he was pretty quiet the 2 years we were there, but that all changed when we moved into a house, and now he is louder more often than he was, luckily we live on an acreage though! Keiko is very social, affectionate, playful, cheeky, funny, and smart. He loves dancing and talking, they have the cutest voice, it is kinda squeaky/raspy, and they sound like a seagull when the scream, lol. Quakers can also become cage aggressive, and they tend to bond to one person, if it is just you that is going to be spending one-on-one time with the Quaker, then it doesn't really matter, otherwise, socializing them while they are young will help keep him/her social and less likely (still could) to bond to one person.

Quakers are certainly a huge pleasure to be able to share your life with, but of course they are not for everyone.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
hipeopleoftheworld

This question was calling my name!!!

First of all, I have two so the loudness is a quadrupaled. The only noise that somewhat bothers me is their screech they signal for stress, danger, or a contact call. Well, that's what I've found. I love this light, soft purring sound! It's super cute! They also make kissing sounds all the time. (Might have been me or the breeder, but they like to do it in front of someone the like!)

As for cuddliness, when I went to meet the breeder in a parking lot, she had two quakers in her hand cuddling her as she was driving! (One was Fred.) When I met them, they didn't really care that I was new. As long as the breeder was there they thought I was friendly so they were too! I currently have them on my shoulder and was giving them scratches. They love to get scratches!

The mess is actually quite small. That was the main reason I didn't get the two for one deal at first. No dust, minimal feathers flying (So far...), and teeny tiny poops. It takes like 5 or more of their poops to equal what my grey's was.

The downsides are they just get cage aggressive. I honestly can't think of any other! Overall, you won't be let down!

Kona-Green Quaker
Fred (so far)-Blue Quaker
I'll miss you, Scully-African Grey
Ruby-Chocolate Labrador
Mylee-Black Toy Poodle
16 fish in a freshwater 38 gallon aquarium

Last edited by hipeopleoftheworld; 12-05-2011 at 03:27 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
brittbritt (Brittney)

I have a 7-8 year old Quaker named Zazzy. She was given to me about 2 months ago now. I love her dearly already.

With her being a little older and not a baby she is set in her ways. She only likes me so far and has bitten my daughter and my husband a couple of days ago.

We are very close though and she gives me kisses and will dance if you ask her to. When she wants me she will scream bloody murder for sure. Once I let her out or give her attention she settles down.

For the quirky personality traits she has her loving me so much makes up for it.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
catalinadee (Daisy)

I think that quakers can make fantastic pets and they wont let you down, providing you can put up with cage aggression and the obvious noise they make. They're also a good size to work with! I think the others covered most of what you need to know though

Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
parrotsrmylife

Thanks guys! This helps a lot! I am pretty sure of my decision of a Quaker Parrot but just wondering what are your thoughts on Rainbow Lorikeets and Indian Ring neck Parrots? Those were my two other options before deciding about a Quaker Parrot. I'm still kinda not sure but I will probably end up with a Quaker haha

Old 12-06-2011, 03:24 AM
solo (jess)

i dont know about Rainbow Lorikeets but i have an Indian Ring neck who is the sweetest baby ever he talks beautifuly he isn't to loud and hardly ever screams but he does talk LOTS. he can be moody but you learn to read their body language. he was a year and 3 months on the third and ive had him since he was 9 weeks old. he is not what you would call a velcro bird but he sure does love attention

Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Pandapaws

Along as the baby is well socialized you shouldn't have a problem. Though they can get cage aggresssive or maybe that's just my moms bird. Quakers are extremely good talkers to.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:37 AM
catalinadee (Daisy)

I would not recommend the lorikeet unless you know about their diets. They eat nectar and fruits and cannot eat seeds or pellets. You'll have to look into it. They make fantastic companions and are certainly beautiful birds. They can be quite loud though with a high pitched call. IRN can also be amazing companions. They go through what is called bluffing, where they act really aggressive. IRN aren't as loud but they can be when they want to be. They're harder to remain tame too and require handling quite often. A hand raised baby would be a great choice for you though

Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 PM
lillard1 (Lilly)

IRN's are actually pretty loud. Some aren't, but most I've interacted with talk AND call out. Their pitch is high and gets to me more than even an aratinga conure. Lorikeets also can be noisy and have a shrill pitch, and are so active they are always on the go, which would get too tiring for me. They're also nippy, and a lot of people don't want to deal with the huge mess, noise, and nippiness and right now there's a whole bunch of lorries that need homes on CL and it's sad. if you like the personality of quakers one of the smaller conures might be perfect. Clownish and cuddly, but most aren't as noisy and aren't inclined to get cage territorial. I do have to admit that Quakers are so cute, though.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Solace. (Renae)

I have an Indian Ringneck and a Red-Collared Lorikeet.

Lorikeets make a terrific companion IMO, but it is a decision that shouldn’t at all be taken lightly considering what comes with owning one. They can be quite demanding — their specific diet needs (flowers, fruit, pollen, and nectar being a few) and diet preparation, they need a lot of one-on-one attention, and they can be messy… their poops are liquid and they can squirt really far, so you have to be prepared to clean at least 4 times as much as what you would with a parrot, they squirt down their cage, all over their toys, perches, etc, and all over the carpet, but that can be managed by putting vinyl under, and around the cage. Besides all that, I will say they are very affectionate, playful, full of energy, funny, clowny, and intelligent. Tookie can get loud, it is a shrill I don’t think everyone could handle, but Tookie only screams and lets out loud shrills a few times during the day. We all adore Tookie, he does have his favorite people here, and not so favorite people, but he is hilarious and so much fun, he dances and talks, he lays on his back and plays with toys, he is pure joy!

Indian Ringnecks are a big favorite of mine, I have had my Indian Ringneck, Keiba, since he was quite young (pretty much a baby, I got him before he weaned) and having had the experience I have had with him I would not look back and I would certainly do it all over again. Indian Ringnecks are another bird that can be demanding, they need lots and lots of one-on-one attention otherwise they can revert back to being wild. They are smart, friendly, playful, and affectionate, depending on their personality, you may come across Indian Ringnecks that are a bit more hands-off than others, this is normal as not every Indian Ringneck is the same. My Indian Ringneck, Keiba, is extremely cuddly and affectionate, he is a big cuddle bug and loves kisses, I couldn’t be happier with him and I definitely recommend an Indian Ringneck, they cop a lot of bad talk, but I beg to differ with a lot of things that have been said about them, and I have even hand-raised Indian Ringnecks that turned out to be lovely and very human friendly. Yes, they can be loud too, I wouldn’t say it is any worse than a Lorikeet though.

I would do plenty of research on each of these species, and if you can, visit a few different Lorikeets and a few different Indian Ringnecks firstly before you make a decision, you may find both of these species are not for you, or one of them may be, and one of them may not be.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Abby

Firstly, welcome! I love your budgies' names. Adorable! Pictures, please?
I do not know a lot about the birds you are asking about as I haven't had much experience with them. It's great you are learning about them before you make your decision though, that's wonderful. Have you thought about conures? Green cheeks are great, and I have a sun conure myself.