Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Outer Sydney Australia
Thanked 235 Times in 170 Posts
Rep Power: 37
Rats can get through a space less than 2cm wide. And they are predatory carnivors and would much rather have a nice tasty bird than the seed. They will eat the seed if there is nothing else. I am pretty sure at the moment there is a worldwide rat and mouse plague. I know there certainly is in Australia and I heard there was one in Florida at the moment.
I am having all sorts of fun getting rid of them at the moment. They come up the storm water drains and as we have had alot of rain here and they don't like getting wet we have more coming up than normal. I live in a semi rural area and they access the drains that runs into the creek. My dogs just got a big one last night. All my aviaries are on concrete slabs and I put broken glass under the concrete when we laid it. They can't chew through glass but they can chew through everything else. I have even seen them chew through over 2 inches of concrete to get into an aviary but not if there was broken glass under it.
Being on a pension I found poison very very expensive and rats are smart. They can remember smells and they basically say to each other, don't eat that Fred ate some the other day and died, and they won't touch it. What I have found to be much cheaper and very effective is using Plaster of Paris Powder. I mix drinking chocolate powder into that and put it where my other animals can't get at it but the rats can. They get thirsty and go and have a drink and get terminal constipation from it. Then if one of my dogs or the cat get hold of a body or sick one the only thing that happens is they get a boost of calcium. The same for the raptors and owls around me, it doesn't harm them either. Plaster of Paris is very cheap and a little goes a long way and I just use a generic drinking chocolate powder, much cheaper than poison and they don't seem to get put off by it.
Another hint I got on Friday night was get a plastic shopping bag, put some poison in that (only about a tablespoon of powder or pellets) and put some peanut butter on top of the poison, grab the bag and work the peanut butter into the poison and scrunch it up. Put it where other animals can't get at it. Rats like to chew through boxes or bags and will chew into it and get the bait. The peanut butter masks the smell. You can do the same thing but use melted chocolate, rats just love peanut butter or chocolate.
I have absolutely no problem killing rats. They are nasty horrible things and the only good one is a dead one.