Some of you may have seen this but I was only recently directed to this story on Facebook about the dangers of rope in bird toys. We don't have our baby yet but this is definitely something I'll watch out for....
“I adopted 3 Cockatiels from you in March this year (Muffin Billy & Grey). We changed Grey’s name to Preston and although he was not hand tame, it didn’t take long for him to wiggle his way in for scratchies. I noticed that he was not himself and took him to Avian Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital at Camden. It turned out that Preston had been eating the cotton from wood chew toys held together by rope. He was at the hospital from 3 December 2012 and we tried to get him to pass the blockage naturally. However on Tuesday 11 December 2012 I decided to allow Prof David Phalan to surgically remove the blockage, as it was his only chance. I was at the hospital for the procedure and when Preston came out of surgery I sat with him for an hour. David showed me the clump of cotton fibre and seed that he had taken from Prestons crop and stomach. He seemed bright and alert and his crownies were all standing up. I thought this was a good sign and it wouldn’t be long before I could finally bring him home. However, later on that evening, David phoned me to tell me that Preston had had a seizure and passed. I have decided to have Preston cremated and I should get his ashes tomorrow or Wednesday. Avian Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital has posted on their facebook page a photo of the mass removed from Preston with a warning. I have been devastated by the loss and question why we can buy dangerous and toxic toys for birds but not children. What is the difference as all my birds are my babies and I would do anything for them. I have now removed all toys with rope from the aviary and all other bird houses. We should be doing more to get this message out so no one else has to go through the grief I have just had to deal with.”
We would like to take this opportunity to educate you all on the dangers of providing rope & fibrous toys/products to your birds. Birds cannot digest rope or fibre, so if your bird is chewing rope or fibrous products and eating it, the fibre will become a blockage in their system and they will become very ill and if not treated early will die (more information is available on the article link below).
We do provide an important notice on our rope toys, bungee’s, rings, happy huts and birdy buddies to warn people of these dangers. The reason we sell these products is that there are a lot of birds that do not chew rope or fibre. Also selling these products gives us the opportunity to provide people with the education and warning about the dangers of rope and fibre and better equips people to then monitor their birds and assess whether they are rope/fibre chewers or not. Whereas if customers could not purchase these items from us and went and purchased them from another avenue, they would not get this extra education and warning.
Please if you have any rope or fibrous products in your bird’s cage and your bird is chewing them, we highly recommend you remove it and replace it with other safe chewable items.
Here is a great article written by an Avian Vet on “Foreign Body Ingestion”. We hope you all take the time to read it. http://www.parrotrescuecentre.com/pr...m?ArticleID=34