To clip or not? - Talk Parrots Forums

Talk Parrots General General parrot discussion, questions, help and information.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Pandapaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 13
   
To clip or not?

Is their anyone that don't clip there birds wing feathers? I only do if I absolutely need to. But right now all mine are mostly flighted.

Instagram @official_budgiebonkers
Pandapaws is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 PM


 
nanay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 3,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 40
                     
Currently the linnie is not clipped, and we will leave her flighted unless it becomes a problem.


Thanks Shivani for the awesome siggy!
X2
Stanley (bourkes), Roni (senegal), Elisa (lineolated parakeet) and Doug (pacific parrotlet), Daisy (maximilian pionus), Shira (green cheek conure), Ashlynn, (grey), Taylor (princess of wales parakeet), Joelle (quaker), Benny (cockatiel)
nanay is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 5,750
Thanks: 734
Thanked 474 Times in 379 Posts
Rep Power: 42
                     
That's how I'm starting to see it. It used to be really important to me to clip my birds' wings, but now, I don't mind. Like Nanay said, I don't really clip unless it becomes a problem in any way.




DIGBY 4-year-old male Congo African Grey

Last edited by Abby; 01-12-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Abby is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Pandapaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 13
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
That's how I'm starting to see it. It used to be really important to me to clip my birds' wings, but now, I don't mind. Like Nanay said, I don't really clip unless it becomes a problem in any way.
For me I like how they look flighted then clipped it make them look cooler.

Instagram @official_budgiebonkers
Pandapaws is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 AM
 
LittleGems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
   
I prefer fully flighted whenever possible!
LittleGems is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 AM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
All of my indoor birds are clipped to stop them from smacking into windows, obviously all of my outdoor birds are fully flighted. Do it if you think the birds will be best off that way. I personally don't like doing it because I feel guilty when I do but it's for the best seeing as we've got a lot of large mirrors and windows haha.

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
 
beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada ON.
Age: 24
Posts: 339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Mine are all left unclipped I only clip if I need to!


Thanks Becca!
People Use Duct Tape To Fix Everything.. Jesus Used Nails.
beth is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM
 
LittleGems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinadee View Post
All of my indoor birds are clipped to stop them from smacking into windows, obviously all of my outdoor birds are fully flighted. Do it if you think the birds will be best off that way. I personally don't like doing it because I feel guilty when I do but it's for the best seeing as we've got a lot of large mirrors and windows haha.
I found my birds smacked into windows/mirrors/walls MORE when they were clipped. If something startles them into flight, they can't control where they go. I had some birdie injuries from this. Fully flighted they can maneuver properly and avoid knocking themselves out! Once they learn what mirrors and windows are, they don't fly into them - so I just make sure I show them the "invisible barriers" and then all is fine.
LittleGems is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Pandapaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 13
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGems View Post
I found my birds smacked into windows/mirrors/walls MORE when they were clipped. If something startles them into flight, they can't control where they go. I had some birdie injuries from this. Fully flighted they can maneuver properly and avoid knocking themselves out! Once they learn what mirrors and windows are, they don't fly into them - so I just make sure I show them the "invisible barriers" and then all is fine.
or when there clipped and try to fly and they hit the floor like a brick I like my flighted.

Instagram @official_budgiebonkers
Pandapaws is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
 
LittleGems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliafan23 View Post
or when there clipped and try to fly and they hit the floor like a brick I like my flighted.
Yes, that too! I had a couple young Linnies come to me overly clipped, they drop like rocks and ended up breaking most of the feathers off their tails from crashing so much I can't wait for them to grown their feathers back in
LittleGems is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
 
Pandapaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 13
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGems View Post
Yes, that too! I had a couple young Linnies come to me overly clipped, they drop like rocks and ended up breaking most of the feathers off their tails from crashing so much I can't wait for them to grown their feathers back in
I got a budgies like 4-5 months ago and he was way over clipped and dropped like a brick and squeaked every time he fell now his flights are mostly back in.

Instagram @official_budgiebonkers
Pandapaws is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM
 
Apple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 685
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 14
     
I am a flighted gal.

Apple is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 07:38 AM


 
Solace.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 799
Thanks: 0
Thanked 87 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 27
                     
I have never, and never will, clip any of my birds wings!

Shiro, one of the Cockatiels here, is disabled and canít fly, he never will be able to again, whoever clipped his wings didnít just clip them, they butchered his whole wing, I believe they cut right to the bone, and for this reason, I will not have my birds wings clipped. I have also had birds come to me with tacky clips (done so wrong), and one wing clipped.

Solace. is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 AM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGems View Post
I found my birds smacked into windows/mirrors/walls MORE when they were clipped. If something startles them into flight, they can't control where they go. I had some birdie injuries from this. Fully flighted they can maneuver properly and avoid knocking themselves out! Once they learn what mirrors and windows are, they don't fly into them - so I just make sure I show them the "invisible barriers" and then all is fine.
Really? Mine are so much better without it! My birds can have safe landings and hardly ever crash, but none of mine have ever hit a window etc while clipped! May be I'll try leaving them next time. I used to have flighted birds but I did have one hit a window hard and I felt so sorry for it, so I wanted to make sure they didn't again, since then I've clipped. Only 4 of my birds are clipped as the others are in aviaries.

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 AM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace. View Post
I have never, and never will, clip any of my birds wings!

Shiro, one of the Cockatiels here, is disabled and canít fly, he never will be able to again, whoever clipped his wings didnít just clip them, they butchered his whole wing, I believe they cut right to the bone, and for this reason, I will not have my birds wings clipped. I have also had birds come to me with tacky clips (done so wrong), and one wing clipped.

That poor bird! How could they have done that? Seeing that now I can understand why you wouldn't want to clip

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:08 PM
 
Bobioden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,048
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 15
         
Oliver is fully flighted, and an excellent flier. Now that he knows the lay of the rooms, he goes in and out with no problems. I have counted up to 15 seconds where his has been in flight between his cage, the rooms, and back to his cage. He loves it.




Bobioden is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 AM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
That's awesome! He's coming along well Bob

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome