Bird Tricks - Talk Parrots Forums

Talk Parrots General General parrot discussion, questions, help and information.
Thread Description: Has anyone bought Bird Tricks on line

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lanoka Harbor NJ
Posts: 65
Thanks: 49
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Bird Tricks

Did any of you buy the videos from Birdtricks.com?
They sent me one and I followed the suggestions and it worked fantastic but now they want me to buy more, of course, they are not expensive but since the first one worked I just wanted to know if they were all like that or was that just bait.

I am having a problem with my Conure it appears that his original owner frightened him somehow and although he really looks like he wants to interact with me the minute I try the step up he either backs off (then I do to) or he dies that nibble to see if my finger is stable or whatever and I let him but he sometimes bites it a bit too hard...

Yesterday I left the door open and he came out and as soon as I got up he flew over tome to my shoulder but he will not come out of the cage.

I am hoping the videos might help =but want to know if these guys are OK...

Thanks...
Buddys Mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Have you tried clicker and target training yet? I highly recommend it for building a relationship between yourself and a bird It bridges the gap and removes fear

Birdtricks are very good, but it's up to yourself whether or not you wanna fork out for it all

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to catalinadee For This Useful Post:
Buddys Mom (02-19-2014)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:03 AM


 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 464
Thanks: 129
Thanked 287 Times in 179 Posts
Rep Power: 15
             
I have a hard job taking them seriously. they have stolen most of their content from others. Rewritten it and push a hard sell.
And I do have it on good advice not all they put up is good. I do ave a small collection on file of some of the problems found with them.
They have been trying to drum up business on You Tube answers. Picking on the gulable poor advise first time bird owners.
Barbara Heidenreich is a much better option for help. Honest and qualified. Not a couple of brothers who see away to earn easy money.


A tribute to my lost ones. RIP.
clawnz is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clawnz For This Useful Post:
Buddys Mom (02-19-2014), MissyBird (02-26-2014), wyrinth (02-21-2014)
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 103
Thanks: 94
Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
IDK about "not expensive", the whole package right now is/was on special for ~$300....

-Eric
Turk
Dobby
Peeps
Shelby Cinnamon GCC
Jalapeņo
Mochi
Squirrel Yellow Sided GCC
etc1006 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to etc1006 For This Useful Post:
Buddys Mom (02-19-2014)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lanoka Harbor NJ
Posts: 65
Thanks: 49
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Thank you all, yes I am doing target training and it is amazing. My problem is he will not step up coming out of the cage but will once he is out. I rescued him.

I would never spend $300.00 on some CD's from some crazy brothers. I would rather spend it on more birds and learn how myself.

I will check out Barbara Heidenreich, this is not my first bird I have had birds all my life but never a Conure. He is beautiful and is really starting to come around, thanks to the target training. It is amazing how he comes running when he sees it.
Buddys Mom is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:25 PM


 
aether-drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 34
Posts: 328
Thanks: 202
Thanked 226 Times in 124 Posts
Rep Power: 9
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawnz View Post
I have a hard job taking them seriously. they have stolen most of their content from others. Rewritten it and push a hard sell.
And I do have it on good advice not all they put up is good. I do ave a small collection on file of some of the problems found with them.
They have been trying to drum up business on You Tube answers. Picking on the gulable poor advise first time bird owners.
Barbara Heidenreich is a much better option for help. Honest and qualified. Not a couple of brothers who see away to earn easy money.
I agree...they are all about rebranding and recylcing. Ideas, products, you name it. I do like Jamie-Leigh's blog and YouTube videos, and the free stuff posted on the BirdTricks site, but that's about it. It's not that their info is bad or wrong, but it feels like a cash grab more often than not. Their "special programs" are overpriced and ripped off from other sources. You can get the same info from people like Barbara Heidenreich for cheaper, or just free info from talking to people on forums. Recently I asked on another forum about the BirdTricks "special organic parrot food", and it turns out it's just TOPs pellets repackaged and rebranded. Likewise, I'm pretty sure their all-natural, safe toys you can order a subscription for are just Planet Pleasures toys rebranded. But they're selling these things as if they're the ONLY source you can trust, and anything else you buy will kill your birds.
aether-drifter is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to aether-drifter For This Useful Post:
etc1006 (02-22-2014)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddys Mom View Post
Thank you all, yes I am doing target training and it is amazing. My problem is he will not step up coming out of the cage but will once he is out. I rescued him.

I would never spend $300.00 on some CD's from some crazy brothers. I would rather spend it on more birds and learn how myself.

I will check out Barbara Heidenreich, this is not my first bird I have had birds all my life but never a Conure. He is beautiful and is really starting to come around, thanks to the target training. It is amazing how he comes running when he sees it.
Silly question maybe....but if he is target trained, why not target him onto your hand while he is in cage?
Wayne361 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lanoka Harbor NJ
Posts: 65
Thanks: 49
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne361 View Post
Silly question maybe....but if he is target trained, why not target him onto your hand while he is in cage?
Not a silly question at all. First let me say I want things to happen yesterday, got it? I am not very patient but I am learning to be.

As a mater of fact I did try that several times and it did not work, actually I gave it a try two days ago and voile.... I just stepped right onto my hand like he was doing it forever.

So I guess I did have enough patients to manage to make this work,
Now that he finally got it, he is coming to me all the time now..
Thanks for asking...
Buddys Mom is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddys Mom View Post
Not a silly question at all. First let me say I want things to happen yesterday, got it? I am not very patient but I am learning to be.

As a mater of fact I did try that several times and it did not work, actually I gave it a try two days ago and voile.... I just stepped right onto my hand like he was doing it forever.

So I guess I did have enough patients to manage to make this work,
Now that he finally got it, he is coming to me all the time now..
Thanks for asking...
np....one thing you will need to develop (and you will) is patience when it comes to parrots. They dont march in tune with our time schedules, nor our wants at all times. But training definitely is your best option to have a cooperative bird. Another site to check out is theparrotforum.com There are tutorials/video for taming/training. Very informative. So is his book "The Parrot Wizards Guide to Well-Behaved Parrots by Michael Sazhin. I have the book and it is fantastic. He puts an emphasis on having a great pet parrot through training. Covers all the basics.

To stay on topic, since he is now stepping up ensure that you do something positive, in the birds eyes, EVERY time you ask him to step up. If you are currently targetting and giving treats, start to fade the target stick/treats and just use verbal cue "step up"....just ensure the bird gets something in return i.e. head scratches, taken out of cage, play time, cuddle time etc. This will anchor the behaviour, based on positive reinforcement. Bird will have no reason not to step-up because the bird knows he/she is rewarded each and every time.

Hope this helps,

Wayne
Wayne361 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome