I thought that it would be a nice idea to make a thread about things we have done to make out fids lives better and things we plan to improve on the in future. one persons changes for the better might help give ideas to others.
i hope many people participate and don't be too shy about things you haven't changed but are going to! just list your changes or plans and write a sentence or two about it
- more play space. i keep adding to my play gyms to make their hours outside the cage more fun filled.
- diet change. fo a while i have been trying to switch to mostly pellets. right now i have both a seed dish and a pellet dish which they all eat out of both of them.
- bigger cages. i have recently gotten a large flight cage and i am planning to get another for the other half of the flock soon.
- bathing. this is my new thing that i do. i figured out that half of my flock really loved being misted with water, so a few times a week i will spray them down (hopefully this will help keep them cleaner and lest dusty).
- cleaning water dishes. before i only used to change the water and run my finger around the dish to clean it and once a week i would take a toothbrush head and scrub the water dish. now i scrub the water dishes every day to keep them cleaner
- vacuuming. for a few months now, i have been vacuuming my room everyday. i used to do it only every other day
Plans for the better:
- more veggies. only half the flock likes lettuce and two of the birds will eat broccoli. i plan to give them more of a variety and hopefully they will eat more
- cleaning under the tree- right now it is too cold out to take the 1/2 of shower curtain out from under the tree and wash it off. when it warms up i will wash it more often again. its not so much of the poop that is bad, but the dust from them being over it all day
- more toys. they already get as many toys as they want but i want to make toys specifically for Pickles because she acting like a hen and chewing everything. so rather than "yelling" at her i will give her more opportunities to chew on something else other than my windows (egg cartons are just not enough for her