Join Date: Aug 2014
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
need help deciding
Hi everyone. I am fairly new still to this message board. I have been looking to get an African Grey Congo for a long time now. When I first posted my intro post on another parrot message board, some suggested that I adopt an older bird. At the time I could not find one. Well now of course I find one. So here are my options and I can not decide.
Option 1) I get a younger 4-5 month old and order the DNA sexing with it. It will have to be shipped here by airplane which worries me about stressing the bird out. I skyped yesterday with a person who works at this location and got to see the two available now. They looked healthy, happy, and perfect.
Option 2) I drive 4 hours away from where I live to adopt a bird from a breeder who says this bird was not used for breeding, and says she is around a year old but really has no proof of that. He says shes a girl and she is friendly, you can pick her up and everything and she does say a few things like Hi, what are you doing, etc. I did ask for pictures of this bird as well, she also looks, healthy, no feather plucking, etc.
I realize that its hard to tell a birds health from skype or a picture and this gurantees nothing, but it made me feel better to see them both. I am just really worried that with no age on option 2 I might be buying a bird thats is a lot older than this breeder thinks. I also don't want to drive all that way and this bird have been misrepresented. So if there is anything else I should ask or do before doing that option please let me know.
Cost really doesn't matter all that much but I will say that option 2 is cheaper by 800 dollars.