Wanting to get a bigger bird - Talk Parrots Forums

Talk Parrots General General parrot discussion, questions, help and information.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Wanting to get a bigger bird

Hi, my hubby and I are researching bigger birds to add to our family. We have 2 budgies right now but in the next year we want to get something a little bigger. A few birds we have discussed are an umbrella cockatoo, Indian ring neck I love the lutino one and an African gray. Well today we went to a exotic bird store and they had all their big guys in an open aviary and had a bad experience when a full grown cockatoo flew onto my back and than my hubby's leg it was pretty scary. After we left the room he flew into the door and was trying to get to is. Not sure what he was trying to do. Anyways I feel a little intimidated by this species now. We were able to hold and pet a 10 week old African gray and was soo sweet nothing like the other bird we wanted to take him home but it's not something we want to do on impulse. We want to make sure what ever bird we choose we will all feel comfortable with them. My kids are 5, 7 and 11 now and our house is always loud and busy. We have talked about it and decided we will be getting a baby this way we don't end up with a guy like the one in the pet store lol. When the time is right we want to be happy with our choice.

Thanks for reading
Lillahine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 PM
 
Izilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
I don't have much experience with those species, but:
I have heard a lot of people saying IRNs can be very bitey and aggressive. I have an internet friend who has a IRN who is velcro bonded to her but he still bites her badly (to the point of her crying) every day. He also doesn't get along with any of her other birds and has injured them: bitten off toes, broken legs, etc
My sister has an AG who is extremely aggressive to the point where he puffs up and hisses at anyone who approaches his cage for any reason, but she never gave him any attention whatsoever so he isn't used to interaction :C
My grandmother's AG is velcro bonded to her and is super sweet most of the time, but he does still bite her badly enough for ER visits to stop the bleeding. And if anybody else goes near him - or my grandmother - he attacks them.
I don't know anybody with a cockatoo, so I cant say much about them ^u^;

I guess my point is any bird can be like that cockatoo, without warning, for reasons you might not be aware of, even if they're velcro birds. Its something to take into consideration, especially with such young kids. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a bigger bird, mind you! Just keep in mind that all birds can and will bite and bigger beaks mean bigger bites.

Hopefully people with more experience with those specific species will reply with some advice. For all I know, the IRN and AGs that I know are unusually aggressive and its not normal for them to bite to those extents when they're bonded.

Izilla is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM
 
BirdCrazyJill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 12
Thanked 450 Times in 340 Posts
Rep Power: 9
   
have you thought about maybe not so large of a bird, and one that might be more family friendly (not necessarily likely to bond to only one person) like a conure species or even a cockatiel? They are definitely bigger than budgies and have wonderful personalities It might be something to look into!
BirdCrazyJill is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirdCrazyJill For This Useful Post:
MissyBird (10-09-2014), wyrinth (10-05-2014)
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM


 
wyrinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, USA
Posts: 1,058
Thanks: 1,411
Thanked 748 Times in 515 Posts
Rep Power: 12
       
Hi, welcome to the forum.

When you say bigger, how big is bigger?

There are many birds that are bigger than a budgie, but smaller than a cockatoo and enjoy being part of the family.

As for getting a baby so that it adjusts better to your family....many baby personalities change dramatically when the bird hits puberty, sometimes with an adult birds you know what you're getting. I am not trying to discourage you from getting a baby, I am just advising not to discount an older bird just because it's older, sometimes that is a good thing.

It is good that you are taking the time to research your new bird and there are plenty of friendly, helpful people on this forum that can help you.

Stitch Pikachu Thor Loki

BlazeCinder Sunday

Storm Sky
wyrinth is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:56 PM


 
4thebirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,616
Thanks: 1,109
Thanked 903 Times in 591 Posts
Rep Power: 17
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillahine View Post
Hi, my hubby and I are researching bigger birds to add to our family. We have 2 budgies right now but in the next year we want to get something a little bigger. A few birds we have discussed are an umbrella cockatoo, Indian ring neck I love the lutino one and an African gray. Well today we went to a exotic bird store and they had all their big guys in an open aviary and had a bad experience when a full grown cockatoo flew onto my back and than my hubby's leg it was pretty scary. After we left the room he flew into the door and was trying to get to is. Not sure what he was trying to do. Anyways I feel a little intimidated by this species now. We were able to hold and pet a 10 week old African gray and was soo sweet nothing like the other bird we wanted to take him home but it's not something we want to do on impulse. We want to make sure what ever bird we choose we will all feel comfortable with them. My kids are 5, 7 and 11 now and our house is always loud and busy. We have talked about it and decided we will be getting a baby this way we don't end up with a guy like the one in the pet store lol. When the time is right we want to be happy with our choice.

Thanks for reading
I wouldn't say ringnecks would be a great match for a family. The are very temperamental. So are the other two species you mentioned. I would probably recommend a conure for a family with kids, or a cockatiel.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Owned by & slave to: Oliver, Gemma, Cozette, & the English Budgie Crew
4thebirds is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
I was wanting a conure or a tiel but I have heard many people say that are they are very noisy. Also my hubby loves macas but I don't want something that big, honestly I didn't even realize how bib the cockatoos were till yesterday. We love the size of the African gray and I think they are soo pretty. It's not going to be a "family" pet but definitely needs to be able to deal with love from every member though. We love our budgies but feel a little unsatesfied with their interaction with us.

I didn't know thir personality could change during puberty, we were once thinking about a rescue but don't want a troubled bird. Besides the adoption fees are way more than what babies go for. Not trying to say all adults are bad but I guess we wanted to be there as young as we could so it would be bonded to us better. We just thought an older guy might be "broken" and could have behavioral problems. We just love our animals and want to have a be able to give them a forever home. That's why we are doing research now this way we have plenty of time to all the info now before we decide what we will be getting.
Lillahine is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 AM
 
Izilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Any species you get will be noisy at some point, parrots and noisy go hand in hand.

Your options are limited for what you're wanting in a bird, plus adding young kids into the mix complicates things even more. I personally haven't heard of ringnecks, cockatoos, or AGs working out as family parrots as a general rule. I would suggest you look at something that isn't quite so prone to aggression with beaks that can cause so much damage since you have young kids. Other than parakeets/budgies, cockatiels seem to be the most recommended for families. I do think they can have trouble with egg laying and having "night frights", but I was too young to remember our 'tiels. I know people here have them and can clarify, though!

Izilla is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 AM
 
Marina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 33
Thanks: 12
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
A few days ago I was looking for info on White-fronted Amazons (my parrot's species) and found a post on an Italian parrot forum, the poster was married with three kids, they wanted to get an African Grey but the breeder, after learning about the children, the time they had to devote to the bird and their lifestyle suggested a WFA instead.

They have a lot of personality, are sizable but not intimidating (10 inches at most when full grown and, honestly, theirs is the biggest beak I feel confortable with), they can be moody at puberty and in season but their body language is very clear.

My Puck isn't noisy, part of it is due to training, though, when he flock calls we answer from whatever room we are in and he calms down, if we had started by running to the cage, instead, he would have learned that if he wanted attention he had to scream.

Last edited by Marina; 10-06-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Marina is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
A few days ago I was looking for info on White-fronted Amazons (my parrot's species) and found a post on an Italian parrot forum, the poster was married with three kids, they wanted to get an African Grey but the breeder, after learning about the children, the time they had to devote to the bird and their lifestyle suggested a WFA instead.

They have a lot of personality, are sizable but not intimidating (10 inches at most when full grown and, honestly, theirs is the biggest beak I feel confortable with), they can be moody at puberty and in season but their body language is very clear.

My Puck isn't noisy, part of it is due to training, though, when he flock calls we answer from whatever room we are in and he calms down, if we had started by running to the cage, instead, he would have learned that if he wanted attention he had to scream.
I read these guys are not recommended for families with children and tend to be a one person bird. If we do get a a bigger bird it would really be for my hubby and I not so much the kids. We just don't want them to get attacked or picked. I do realize birds will make noise and it doesn't bother me but constant screeching isn't something we want. After reading some of these responses we might have to wait a lot longer. I did want to get another budgie but was told if I did I would have to get 2 because 3 not a good number.
Lillahine is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 69
Thanks: 71
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
I would not suggest you go for a cockatoo or macaw at this point. Start with the ringneck or even a gray. Those are awesome birds and build your knowledge and comfort level with this size first. The bigger birds are a more harder to deal with. We have so many of them in rescues, because people want and dont know what they are getting into. Then the birds suffers because we can no longer take care of it. I have 2 large macaws and am quiet familiar with there needs, moods, hormones and bites, lol Good luck in your search.
carolz is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:00 PM


 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,245
Thanks: 325
Thanked 620 Times in 487 Posts
Rep Power: 34
                     
What about a goffins cockatoo? They are much smaller and a lot of fun, I have no idea about temperament or how needy or moody they are tho, also there are galahs... Again I do not know about temperament. Just tossing out more research for you...lol
ParrotletsRock is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:30 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 69
Thanks: 71
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Goffins are not as needed as the larger cockatoos, great idea that would be perfect also.
carolz is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotletsRock View Post
What about a goffins cockatoo? They are much smaller and a lot of fun, I have no idea about temperament or how needy or moody they are tho, also there are galahs... Again I do not know about temperament. Just tossing out more research for you...lol
Im going to look int both, I love the looks of the galahs. I honestly didn't know how big the umbrellas were till we went to see them. We didn't have much time to look at the other guys because the one who flew at me than a big blue macaw flew at my husband so we got the heck out of there. We have ruled out that big of a bird.
Lillahine is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolz View Post
I would not suggest you go for a cockatoo or macaw at this point. Start with the ringneck or even a gray. Those are awesome birds and build your knowledge and comfort level with this size first. The bigger birds are a more harder to deal with. We have so many of them in rescues, because people want and dont know what they are getting into. Then the birds suffers because we can no longer take care of it. I have 2 large macaws and am quiet familiar with there needs, moods, hormones and bites, lol Good luck in your search.

The gray and the ringneck were on my wish list lol but people on here are saying no. I am seeing mixed info on the internet too some are great and some not so much.
Lillahine is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
 
BirdCrazyJill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 12
Thanked 450 Times in 340 Posts
Rep Power: 9
   
Have you looked into seeing if there are any bird rescues near you? if there are, it would be a good idea to visit and possibly interact with some birds there, just to see them in person and get some information on different species. Not all rescues birds are "broken", I understand what you are saying, but some just need a little work and are/were in situations that were not their fault. That might be a good option as well
BirdCrazyJill is offline  
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM


 
4thebirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,616
Thanks: 1,109
Thanked 903 Times in 591 Posts
Rep Power: 17
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillahine View Post
I was wanting a conure or a tiel but I have heard many people say that are they are very noisy. Also my hubby loves macas but I don't want something that big, honestly I didn't even realize how bib the cockatoos were till yesterday. We love the size of the African gray and I think they are soo pretty. It's not going to be a "family" pet but definitely needs to be able to deal with love from every member though. We love our budgies but feel a little unsatesfied with their interaction with us.

I didn't know thir personality could change during puberty, we were once thinking about a rescue but don't want a troubled bird. Besides the adoption fees are way more than what babies go for. Not trying to say all adults are bad but I guess we wanted to be there as young as we could so it would be bonded to us better. We just thought an older guy might be "broken" and could have behavioral problems. We just love our animals and want to have a be able to give them a forever home. That's why we are doing research now this way we have plenty of time to all the info now before we decide what we will be getting.
Well if you are worried about noise from a conure or cockatiel, then cockatoos won't work. Almost any large bird will be louder than its smaller cousins. Even ringnecks have a piercing yell. They are very moody birds that require at least a moderately advanced owner.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Owned by & slave to: Oliver, Gemma, Cozette, & the English Budgie Crew
4thebirds is offline  
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 03:58 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
I do not recommend any of the species you are interested in. Reason being, they change so much once they reach sexual maturity, as it was already said. They are all cute and sweet as babies, but once of a certain age they become a handful and will get "broken" (as you described the rehome birds) if they are not handled properly. You have to remember that all those "broken" birds in rescues started at one point as sweet babies. Due to people's inexperience with the species, lack of proper time and conditions, they develop behavioral problems.
For a family with young kids, I would recommend either a cockatiel or perhaps a conure, although they can get loud and nippy as well. I have two cockatiels and they are very sweet and tame. They love to be petted on the head and fed treats. They eat with the family and are not noisy at all.
Keep in mind that all birds will flock call more or less, so a flock call of a cockatiel is definitely not as loud as a flock call of a cockatoo.
I know it's very attractive to see videos of bigger pet birds, but also keep in mind that those big birds live very, very long. They also don't "grow up" and reason as they age. They stay perpetual toddlers. They need constant stimulation and attention.
Anyway, I am not trying to be negative, but you have to be realistic about your situation. With three kids under 13, do you really have time to devote to a needy pet? Do you work or you stay home? Do you want to commit your time and energy to a pet that will live 50+ years?
I am glad you are thinking hard about this. It is not a light decision. Once you adopt an animal, you are responsible for its well-being. There are so many people who don't think like that though, hence all these birds in rescues. It's sad, really.

My Fids -Candy and Tony
eduardo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to eduardo For This Useful Post:
Izilla (10-08-2014)
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 PM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 100
                     
Right, here goes! Hope this helps

I have had experience with all 3 species you're interested in. Personally, out of the 3 you have chosen I would recommend the grey (but this does come with some BUTS that I will get on to in a moment)

Cockatoos. I love um. I've had experience with a few different species and my favourite has always hands down been the bare eyed cockatoo AKA little corella. I owned a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo and I can honestly say it is like having a toddler with a can opener on its face and a voice that could be so loud your ears felt like they were bleeding I have stood next to screaming umbrella cockatoos and have had to walk away, they're that loud (and I LIKE loud bird noises!). At another time I was stood next to an aviary full of blue eyed, umbrella and salmon crested cockatoos and guess what they did? Flock call. Yup. My eyes nearly watered my ears hurt so bad hahaha! You tend to see them as cuddly, gorgeous and gentle babies but there is a HUGE dark side to owning an umbrella. Don't get me wrong, people can most definitely keep them, but they are definitely not a beginners bird. If you absolutely must have a cockatoo then a galah is probably the easiest to manage (and still very hard!) as they're rather like a large, chubby cockatiel. I do not recommend cockatoos. Especially if you don't want loud. Now you mentioned you were interested in cockatiels? If you want a bird that is highly unlikely to make much noise then a female cockatiel can make an absolutely awesome companion parrot. They're so often over looked because they're not as flashy as other parrots but honestly, they can be just as sweet and cuddly as anything else! They are far easier to manage than a 'too, a bite isn't going to hurt all that much and they're much easier to get on with! They're by far more predictable too. I have found that cockatoos can go from snuggling with you and being your best bud to taking a chunk out of your arm because they've had enough! Now I'm not saying all cockatoos are bad, not at all, but they are best left to people who won't be intimidated by them which is pretty hard not to be haha! So don't feel bad if you don't feel like you could handle one, most people aren't able to either But yeah, a female cockatiel is typically a quiet bird but you've got to remember that all birds are unique and you've always got to expect some noise!

Indian ringnecks. I owned a wonderful IRN called Echo. She wasn't hand raised and I had her from a store where she had been quite neglected. What I have learnt about them is that even when hand raised, once they hit maturity they can be quite skittish and unpredictable. Although they aren't loud, they do have quite the high pitched call too. Youngsters go through a bluffing phase which can be quite scary if you don't know how to handle it but even once this is over they can still have a bit of attitude. It's very sad that a few cute ringnecks on YouTube, like Marnie or Bowie, have made them quite a popular companion parrot. Most of them are very hands off and don't care much for being on you or around you what so ever. They can also be extremely aggressive towards other birds. Echo began to enjoy my presence in the room and would occasionally waddle over to me, but that was as far as we would get. It never bothered me, I think it's just a species trait! A really, really awesome alternative, again another species I have kept, has got to be the Alexandrine parakeet. These guys get pretty big! They LOOK like ringnecks, just bigger! They have rather intimidating beaks but honestly, they are the SWEETEST companion parrots ever and I have no idea why people over look them for the IRN (no offence to the ringnecks, I love them very much!) because I find them to be the exact opposite! They're inquisitive, naturally friendly, very gentle for such a large bird, love to give you cheek kisses (and waggle their tongue at you haha) and even though they're quite large they don't have very loud vocalizations. If you're looking for a large companion parrot that doesn't come with too many issues then they're definitely a great choice!

I haven't owned any African greys, but I've worked with a few. I find them inquisitive, skittish, somewhat unpredictable and quite grumpy as adults in all honesty. They seem to go one way or another. They can either be super tame or very standoffish, which is a shame. The ones that I have worked with have been very, very willing to interact with you but when it comes to being physically on you and things they've panicked and backed off, usually poofing out feathers and growling at the same time! I find them to be very shy. I don't know, maybe it's just me? Maybe it's because I've never lived with one! But as I said, I've known a few that have got to know me (especially the one at the college I used to attend, Arnold) and that's how I have found them. There have been quite a few people on the forum with very cuddly and interactive CAGs, so it's not all of them! It's just again based on the individual bird. Unless you go meet one and get a feel for them before you buy them then you can't really predict what they're going to be like. I really like the Timneh African grey, which most people don't consider when buying a grey! They're a bit smaller, darker and easier to manage. I have found them to be very quiet compared to their CAG cousins! Like I said though, I've not lived with one, so maybe somebody else can help you there

You mentioned that you liked conures but didn't want one because of the noise? Sun conures, Jenday conures, blue crowned conures and so on so forth all belong to the Aratinga conure family and they can most certainly crank it up with their vocalizations. The green cheek conure, black capped conure, painted conure, pearly conure, maroon bellied conure yadda yadda all belong to the pyrrhura conure family and are considerably more quiet. Conures are typically a little bit nippy at times but they're usually very cuddly and sweet birds. I've had a few of them and I think they're great. Have a look in to the green cheek conure. A lot of us on here have had them or have them so you have plenty of people to ask questions to!

You also mentioned that your fella likes macaws? What about the Hahn's macaw? They're loud, I will say, but they're the smallest species of macaw and are the size of a medium sized conure

I can't think of anything else, I'm half asleep writing this so it's probably all a load of rubbish but hey, I tried

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to catalinadee For This Useful Post:
wyrinth (10-08-2014)
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
This is all great info. The macaw my hubby wants to bet is a hyacinth? I guess they. From what he says gentle giants. But owning budgies only I think that's just toooo much of a size difference. I am trying to talk him into a tiel or a conure and kind of step up to bigger birds. We do feel like a more interactive bird is what we want though. Like I said before we are wanting so eating bigger in the future so out kids are a few years older.





Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinadee View Post
Right, here goes! Hope this helps

I have had experience with all 3 species you're interested in. Personally, out of the 3 you have chosen I would recommend the grey (but this does come with some BUTS that I will get on to in a moment)

Cockatoos. I love um. I've had experience with a few different species and my favourite has always hands down been the bare eyed cockatoo AKA little corella. I owned a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo and I can honestly say it is like having a toddler with a can opener on its face and a voice that could be so loud your ears felt like they were bleeding I have stood next to screaming umbrella cockatoos and have had to walk away, they're that loud (and I LIKE loud bird noises!). At another time I was stood next to an aviary full of blue eyed, umbrella and salmon crested cockatoos and guess what they did? Flock call. Yup. My eyes nearly watered my ears hurt so bad hahaha! You tend to see them as cuddly, gorgeous and gentle babies but there is a HUGE dark side to owning an umbrella. Don't get me wrong, people can most definitely keep them, but they are definitely not a beginners bird. If you absolutely must have a cockatoo then a galah is probably the easiest to manage (and still very hard!) as they're rather like a large, chubby cockatiel. I do not recommend cockatoos. Especially if you don't want loud. Now you mentioned you were interested in cockatiels? If you want a bird that is highly unlikely to make much noise then a female cockatiel can make an absolutely awesome companion parrot. They're so often over looked because they're not as flashy as other parrots but honestly, they can be just as sweet and cuddly as anything else! They are far easier to manage than a 'too, a bite isn't going to hurt all that much and they're much easier to get on with! They're by far more predictable too. I have found that cockatoos can go from snuggling with you and being your best bud to taking a chunk out of your arm because they've had enough! Now I'm not saying all cockatoos are bad, not at all, but they are best left to people who won't be intimidated by them which is pretty hard not to be haha! So don't feel bad if you don't feel like you could handle one, most people aren't able to either But yeah, a female cockatiel is typically a quiet bird but you've got to remember that all birds are unique and you've always got to expect some noise!

Indian ringnecks. I owned a wonderful IRN called Echo. She wasn't hand raised and I had her from a store where she had been quite neglected. What I have learnt about them is that even when hand raised, once they hit maturity they can be quite skittish and unpredictable. Although they aren't loud, they do have quite the high pitched call too. Youngsters go through a bluffing phase which can be quite scary if you don't know how to handle it but even once this is over they can still have a bit of attitude. It's very sad that a few cute ringnecks on YouTube, like Marnie or Bowie, have made them quite a popular companion parrot. Most of them are very hands off and don't care much for being on you or around you what so ever. They can also be extremely aggressive towards other birds. Echo began to enjoy my presence in the room and would occasionally waddle over to me, but that was as far as we would get. It never bothered me, I think it's just a species trait! A really, really awesome alternative, again another species I have kept, has got to be the Alexandrine parakeet. These guys get pretty big! They LOOK like ringnecks, just bigger! They have rather intimidating beaks but honestly, they are the SWEETEST companion parrots ever and I have no idea why people over look them for the IRN (no offence to the ringnecks, I love them very much!) because I find them to be the exact opposite! They're inquisitive, naturally friendly, very gentle for such a large bird, love to give you cheek kisses (and waggle their tongue at you haha) and even though they're quite large they don't have very loud vocalizations. If you're looking for a large companion parrot that doesn't come with too many issues then they're definitely a great choice!

I haven't owned any African greys, but I've worked with a few. I find them inquisitive, skittish, somewhat unpredictable and quite grumpy as adults in all honesty. They seem to go one way or another. They can either be super tame or very standoffish, which is a shame. The ones that I have worked with have been very, very willing to interact with you but when it comes to being physically on you and things they've panicked and backed off, usually poofing out feathers and growling at the same time! I find them to be very shy. I don't know, maybe it's just me? Maybe it's because I've never lived with one! But as I said, I've known a few that have got to know me (especially the one at the college I used to attend, Arnold) and that's how I have found them. There have been quite a few people on the forum with very cuddly and interactive CAGs, so it's not all of them! It's just again based on the individual bird. Unless you go meet one and get a feel for them before you buy them then you can't really predict what they're going to be like. I really like the Timneh African grey, which most people don't consider when buying a grey! They're a bit smaller, darker and easier to manage. I have found them to be very quiet compared to their CAG cousins! Like I said though, I've not lived with one, so maybe somebody else can help you there

You mentioned that you liked conures but didn't want one because of the noise? Sun conures, Jenday conures, blue crowned conures and so on so forth all belong to the Aratinga conure family and they can most certainly crank it up with their vocalizations. The green cheek conure, black capped conure, painted conure, pearly conure, maroon bellied conure yadda yadda all belong to the pyrrhura conure family and are considerably more quiet. Conures are typically a little bit nippy at times but they're usually very cuddly and sweet birds. I've had a few of them and I think they're great. Have a look in to the green cheek conure. A lot of us on here have had them or have them so you have plenty of people to ask questions to!

You also mentioned that your fella likes macaws? What about the Hahn's macaw? They're loud, I will say, but they're the smallest species of macaw and are the size of a medium sized conure

I can't think of anything else, I'm half asleep writing this so it's probably all a load of rubbish but hey, I tried
Lillahine is offline  
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 AM


 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,245
Thanks: 325
Thanked 620 Times in 487 Posts
Rep Power: 34
                     
A hyacinth macaw will set you back around $10,000.!! That's just for the bird, not counting cage and accessories.
ParrotletsRock is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome