Eating Snuggle hut - Talk Parrots Forums

Talk Parrots General General parrot discussion, questions, help and information.
Thread Description: Why

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Julie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 183
Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Julie
Eating Snuggle hut

Hi,

boy this forum has slowed down a lot, I wonder why? Anyways the few that are here I was wondering if you have experienced your bird eating his furry snuggle hut? My Sun Conure eats the floor and sides of his hut. I know this can't be good for him. He loves to sleep in a hut so I hate to take it out and leave him on a perch at night. Anyone have any ideas to share?

I can sure use the help in this one.

Thanks
Julie
Julie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 PM
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 21
Posts: 176
Thanks: 15
Thanked 67 Times in 56 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Griff
From what I've heard, snuggle huts aren't good for birds at all. I would take it out.
Griff is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Griff For This Useful Post:
Mr Peepers (10-08-2015)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:04 PM


 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 464
Thanks: 129
Thanked 287 Times in 179 Posts
Rep Power: 15
             
Crop compaction is very likely in this case. So I am saying you need to remove it asap.

You consider making or get one made of safe materials. Even one made of cardboard that you can replace every time it is dirty or chewed out. That would stop the real worry of threads causing major life issues down the track.
There also plastic material ones, that may work for you.
So I feel there are options that will still allow a hut environment but be safer than the one you have now.


A tribute to my lost ones. RIP.
clawnz is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clawnz For This Useful Post:
Flapping Mama (10-09-2015), Mr Peepers (10-08-2015)
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:44 PM



 
Mr Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,136
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 656 Times in 569 Posts
Rep Power: 16
   
I'm with Clive on this, any fibers that build up in the crop can cause big problems to your bird. Check out different types of huts, some can be made out of wood or safe bamboo or wicker.

My Safe Bird Store has one in plastic.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/HUTS_..._Bird_Hut.html













Check out this cool video of a natural wood hut being easily assembled.







Mr Peepers is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr Peepers For This Useful Post:
clawnz (10-09-2015), Dodo (10-10-2015), Flapping Mama (10-09-2015), MissyBird (11-01-2015), wyrinth (10-12-2015)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:59 PM


 
Flapping Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,647
Thanks: 1,255
Thanked 933 Times in 718 Posts
Rep Power: 13
       
The coconuts for the lovie are too cute, Mr. Peepers.
I bought a grass mat and tied it together to get a tube. This will be big enough for a sun conure I think.
In the corner of my aviary you can see a house for small bunnies where I put branches for sitting inside. This would also be suitable.
I personally never buy plastic toys, because the parrots could chew them and swallow parts of them.




(Please click to enlarge)
Flapping Mama is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flapping Mama For This Useful Post:
MissyBird (11-01-2015), Mr Peepers (10-10-2015), wyrinth (10-12-2015)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:42 AM
 
Dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 79
Thanks: 15
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
I think that many forums are much less active now due to Facebook. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

I never bought happy huts for any of our birds, because I remember reading once about the dangers of birds' claws being caught in the fibers of some of those huts.

Our birds basically just use their cages to eat in and sleep in and are free-flying during the day, and find their own places to nap, be it a paper bag, drawer or cardboard box (our tiel) or a human shoulder, underneath some hair (lovie) or my clothes closet (budgies).

"All animals wearing fur, feathers and scales are angels. Birds are special angels. They already have their wings."
Dodo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodo For This Useful Post:
Mr Peepers (10-10-2015)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:48 AM
 
Dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 79
Thanks: 15
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Mr. Peepers, the lovie sitting in the coconut reminds me so much of my late beloved Mott The Hoople! How adorable.

The coconut certainly seems to be safe enough, but I'd worry about the string/rope on the coconut hut.

"All animals wearing fur, feathers and scales are angels. Birds are special angels. They already have their wings."
Dodo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodo For This Useful Post:
Mr Peepers (10-10-2015)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:11 PM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 100
                     
Please remove it and replace it with something like the others have said. Crop impaction is quite common with the snuggle huts. I do use them, don't get me wrong! But should I see any chewing or damage to the hut it's gone. Luckily, none of mine have bothered yet

I agree about the Facebook thing. With Facebook groups the use for forums is becoming less. Facebook allows people to keep everything in one place and as there are a lot of users already forums get neglected. Forums also seem to cycle a bit. It used to be not that busy when I firs came on here quite a few years ago but a few people joined and it picked up well. A lot of the people originally here left due to personal circumstances, leaving it quiet again. It picks up from time to time. I log in daily and see new threads have been made which is nice. The forum will hopefully become more active again soon

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to catalinadee For This Useful Post:
Mr Peepers (10-10-2015)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:17 PM



 
Mr Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,136
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 656 Times in 569 Posts
Rep Power: 16
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapping Mama View Post
The coconuts for the lovie are too cute, Mr. Peepers.
I bought a grass mat and tied it together to get a tube. This will be big enough for a sun conure I think.
In the corner of my aviary you can see a house for small bunnies where I put branches for sitting inside. This would also be suitable.
I personally never buy plastic toys, because the parrots could chew them and swallow parts of them.




(Please click to enlarge)

I love the coconut huts as well, and I've seen a few snuggle huts made of branch mats tied together in a triangle shape. So your idea of turning a grass mat into a hut is a great idea.

If you look around for types of natural options of safe woods or products you can use in your cage for your birds you can probably make your own snuggle hut easily.

I really like this idea.







Mr Peepers is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Peepers For This Useful Post:
Flapping Mama (10-10-2015), MissyBird (11-01-2015)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:21 PM



 
Mr Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,136
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 656 Times in 569 Posts
Rep Power: 16
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
Mr. Peepers, the lovie sitting in the coconut reminds me so much of my late beloved Mott The Hoople! How adorable.

The coconut certainly seems to be safe enough, but I'd worry about the string/rope on the coconut hut.

[email protected] the Hoople, I know you are a true Canadian All the Young Dudes!

I think if you know your birds well enough you would know whether they would bother with the rope/string. SPX is not a destructive bird that bothers with ropes on any toys or bother with the material of boingy ropes but I had another budgie that would chew through these things like mad causing me to remove them from the cage entirely.

You just have to watch and see what your birds do to any new toy and then know how to adjust the toy and change the ropes or ties if you get a chewer.





Mr Peepers is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 PM



 
Mr Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,136
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 656 Times in 569 Posts
Rep Power: 16
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinadee View Post
Please remove it and replace it with something like the others have said. Crop impaction is quite common with the snuggle huts. I do use them, don't get me wrong! But should I see any chewing or damage to the hut it's gone. Luckily, none of mine have bothered yet

I agree about the Facebook thing. With Facebook groups the use for forums is becoming less. Facebook allows people to keep everything in one place and as there are a lot of users already forums get neglected. Forums also seem to cycle a bit. It used to be not that busy when I firs came on here quite a few years ago but a few people joined and it picked up well. A lot of the people originally here left due to personal circumstances, leaving it quiet again. It picks up from time to time. I log in daily and see new threads have been made which is nice. The forum will hopefully become more active again soon

YES!





Mr Peepers is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Peepers For This Useful Post:
Dodo (10-10-2015)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 07:11 PM
 
Dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 79
Thanks: 15
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
[QUOTE=Mr Peepers;319025][email protected] the Hoople, I know you are a true Canadian All the Young Dudes!

You are right, Mr. Peepers.

After Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople, I remember The Dudes. If you tell me that you saw the band at The Edgewater Hotel or The Maples Inn with your birds as companions, I'll flap my wings! Your birds had better have been 18 years old! Neither one of those famed places exists now, more's the pity.

Our birds don't play with toys, or even mirrors, if you can imagine that. They are very interactive among themselves and with Mr. Dodo and I (we are retired from our jobs, but have other projects ongoing) so they are never bored.

Cheers to a fellow Canadian:


"All animals wearing fur, feathers and scales are angels. Birds are special angels. They already have their wings."
Dodo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodo For This Useful Post:
Mr Peepers (10-11-2015)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 02:41 PM



 
Mr Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,136
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 656 Times in 569 Posts
Rep Power: 16
   
[quote=Dodo;319065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Peepers View Post
[email protected] the Hoople, I know you are a true Canadian All the Young Dudes!

You are right, Mr. Peepers.

After Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople, I remember The Dudes. If you tell me that you saw the band at The Edgewater Hotel or The Maples Inn with your birds as companions, I'll flap my wings! Your birds had better have been 18 years old! Neither one of those famed places exists now, more's the pity.

Our birds don't play with toys, or even mirrors, if you can imagine that. They are very interactive among themselves and with Mr. Dodo and I (we are retired from our jobs, but have other projects ongoing) so they are never bored.

Cheers to a fellow Canadian:


Ah, sadly I never got to experience MTH during the late 70's and early 80 years. My older brother and a couple of older cousins did see MTH with Ian Hunter then they enjoyed playing a certain song over and over again because it had curse word in it which drove all of our parents crazy so this is how I got to know the band and a few songs that I liked from the LP below.


That bad word song.






Where is or was the Maple Inn? I've never heard of it.

I was told the Edgewater was a disaster of a dive hotel that had a reputation as bad as the Drake and the Gladstone Hotel from days gone by. When I mentioned the Edgewater to my older brother he got a strange smile on his face so I know he's been there and done that in the Parkdale monument.

I grew up in the wrong time and missed all the fun apparently.





Mr Peepers is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:10 PM
 
Dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 79
Thanks: 15
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
I'd forgotten all about that old song, "B***ard". I just remembered another one, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy". That's not a bad tune. (1975).

Oh, the Maples Inn was also located on Lakeshore Road in Dorval, just down the street from the Edge. Many people who lived in the area complained for years about the ruckus coming from that joint - loud music, fights, drunkeness, you name it. It made the Edgewater seem like a church!

My late sainted dad even heard about it, and always referred to the Mapes as being "that den of vice."

There's a Facebook page devoted to the den of vice, if you'd like to have a look. Lots of great old pics of the place. Maples Inn Crowd

Please feel free to PM me, we can get in touch and I can tell you some stories from those good old daze...your brother might get a kick out of them as well.

Mr. Turkle, my pied peachface lovebird, has finally settled down after a morning of doing his drama queen thing, and is napping on the back of my right shoulder under my hair as I type.

Since this is a parrot forum, I thought I'd add a couple of snippets about our birds...

Donald, DH's beloved cockatiel, is going through one of his molts and is napping in a drawer in the living room.

Budgies? Wyette was singing and chirping her heart out, for a female budgie, she's got the nicest song I've ever heard. They are resting, too...

Cheers!

"All animals wearing fur, feathers and scales are angels. Birds are special angels. They already have their wings."
Dodo is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:00 PM



 
Mr Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,136
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 656 Times in 569 Posts
Rep Power: 16
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
I'd forgotten all about that old song, "B***ard". I just remembered another one, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy". That's not a bad tune. (1975).

Oh, the Maples Inn was also located on Lakeshore Road in Dorval, just down the street from the Edge. Many people who lived in the area complained for years about the ruckus coming from that joint - loud music, fights, drunkeness, you name it. It made the Edgewater seem like a church!

My late sainted dad even heard about it, and always referred to the Mapes as being "that den of vice."

There's a Facebook page devoted to the den of vice, if you'd like to have a look. Lots of great old pics of the place. Maples Inn Crowd

Please feel free to PM me, we can get in touch and I can tell you some stories from those good old daze...your brother might get a kick out of them as well.

Mr. Turkle, my pied peachface lovebird, has finally settled down after a morning of doing his drama queen thing, and is napping on the back of my right shoulder under my hair as I type.

Since this is a parrot forum, I thought I'd add a couple of snippets about our birds...

Donald, DH's beloved cockatiel, is going through one of his molts and is napping in a drawer in the living room.

Budgies? Wyette was singing and chirping her heart out, for a female budgie, she's got the nicest song I've ever heard. They are resting, too...

Cheers!

We may be talking about 2 different places here.


I tried to find the Maples Inn in Toronto, ON. but had no luck. But I did find one in Pointe ClaireMontreal. That's wild there was an Edgewater in Montreal as well.

The Edgewater Hotel here in Toronto is located at the corner of Roncesvalles and Queen and King St. West/




Years back the Edgewater got a much needed face lift and remodel inside and oddly it sort of looks like a hotel from Miami.

The famous sign was removed from the icon building and perhaps some of the bad history went with it.






Mr Peepers is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 PM
 
Dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 79
Thanks: 15
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
I was born in Toronto, did you know that, Mr. Peepers? I lived the first nine years of my life there.

Lived in Montreal and its environs since then, give or take a few stints here and there in other Canadian cities.

I met a friend when I was fourteen at high school in an area of Montreal called the West Island (I fondly refer to it as "The Waste Island"). We became best friends.

She moved to Toronto after the year we met due to her father's job, and I visited her there twice a year for many years.

While underage, we visited such venues as The Horseshoe Tavern, and I wish I could remember the name of this club that was located in downtown Toronto...we sneaked in (underage) to see a band called
. Remember that band? We had a blast. The club had different levels on it. My friend and I were sitting on the ground level near the stage watching the band, and a guy was sitting a level above us, five or six steps up to his. There was a wooden fence separating us, yet he was able to reach down to our table, hoist his jug full of beer, and fill our glasses. He did this continuously that evening. We asked him to join us as he was being so generous, but he shook his head and said that he was fine where he was. He was alone, too.

And some say Toronto isn't a friendly place...

Some of my friends' Toronto pals used to tell me that they liked to listen to me speak because I have a 'Montreal accent'. It's softer and less harsh than most Ontario accents are. When I lived in Kingston, Ontario, I noticed their accents immediately. Same as when you go down east, the Nova Scotia accents are really nice to listen to, soft and almost melodic compared to some in Canada. And the Newfoundlanders' accents and expressions!

"All animals wearing fur, feathers and scales are angels. Birds are special angels. They already have their wings."

Last edited by Dodo; 10-18-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Dodo is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:00 PM



 
Mr Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 5,136
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 656 Times in 569 Posts
Rep Power: 16
   
WOW Dodo, flash back here.

Cool that you lived in Toronto and got to see some of the clubs here and the beginning of a Canadian revolutionary of music.

I didn't recall this song by Fludd you posted but I did recall "Cousin Mary" SWEET sounds.

The Horseshoe Tavern is still going strong with tons of acts playing there all the time. I wonder if the other bar you are thinking of was The El Mocambo on Spadina near College st?

It was destined to be a fitness club or something more horrible a little while back but thankfully one of the guys from The Dragons Den show bought it up and is going to turn it back into what it once was.

The El Moc had acts like the Rolling Stones Elvis Costello, Bon Jovi, the Ramones, Queens of the Stone Age and U2.

I'm happy they are saving it.





Mr Peepers is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM
 
Dodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 79
Thanks: 15
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Peepers View Post
We may be talking about 2 different places here.


I tried to find the Maples Inn in Toronto, ON. but had no luck. But I did find one in Pointe ClaireMontreal. That's wild there was an Edgewater in Montreal as well.

The Edgewater Hotel here in Toronto is located at the corner of Roncesvalles and Queen and King St. West/




Years back the Edgewater got a much needed face lift and remodel inside and oddly it sort of looks like a hotel from Miami.

The famous sign was removed from the icon building and perhaps some of the bad history went with it.

I need to visit Toronto again, Mr. Peepers. You'll laugh, but the last time I was there I only went there with DH, because he wanted to please his sister by visiting her mother (the dreaded MIL - I used to call her "Ol' Mama Bin Laden"!)

Oh, that was fun. A flight that lasts fifty-five minutes sitting with a claustrophobic!

We had our talking budgie, Westie, at the time. We had had him since he was only a few weeks old, and we missed him dreadfully. A friend of ours who had birds looked after him while we were away.

We missed Westie so much that we'd go to a nearby mall to gawk at the budgies in a pet store. All the while Ol' Mama Bin Laden nagged at us not to jaywalk - hey! - we are Montrealers. Jaywalking is second nature to us.

"All animals wearing fur, feathers and scales are angels. Birds are special angels. They already have their wings."
Dodo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodo For This Useful Post:
Mr Peepers (10-19-2015)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome