Hello, everyone. I was pretty active in this group for a short time...after I was sure I was caring for my blue and gold macaw properly... I'm embarrassed to say I stopped looking. (Just looked and saw it says I joined in 2016 and never made a post? That doesn't sound right, but maybe I don't remember the name of the group I was most on...I thought it was this one!)
Something TERRIBLE has happened. Congo Jack is DEAD. I went out to his indoor/outdoor avairy with my four year old to feed him...and there he was, dead as can be on the concrete floor.
We were horrified and shocked. We called his vet immediately...he went to Avian & Exotics, probably the best avian vet in the country. We sent him off to the lab for an expensive necropsy....which revealed nothing.
All I can say that changed (which only seemed important in retrospect) is his paper was a little watery...looked like more watery waste plus suddenly playing in his water bowl. His poop always was pretty squishy, due to being fed a homemade mixture of veggies, fruit, legumes, and nuts...but as far as anything "different" it is really all I can think of.
Does anyone have any idea what it could have been that a necropsy wouldn't show???? His vet said carbon monoxide...but he had an electric heater that wouldn't emit any, and his "door" was open that night as the temps has not been that low yet.
I feel like a bad bird owner. My vet assured me we are absolutely not bad bird owners, and that another bird would be lucky to have a home with us in a 20ft by 60ft avairy constructed at great expense with all bird safe materials. I am not so sure... because our beloved Jack just dropped dead, and we don't even know why. They only thing they found in the necropsy, and our vet was hesitant to even mention it...is that he was a "little skinny" but that it was normal for birds in large enclosures to be a bit muscular in comparison. We did switch him from two feedings per day to one large one...but he had been to the vet since then and had gained weight since his last visit...and he had been on one feeding for a few years already.
I just...I can't think of anything else, anything else at all
Anyone have any ideas what could have possibly happened to poor Jack that a full necropsy wouldn't show????
Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk