Join Date: Mar 2017
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
What toys are safe and unsafe for birds?
I just got my new tiel for about a week and a little more now. All the toys in her cage are handmade and I think completely safe. However, I don't really want to handmake ALL the toys for her because it takes quite a while, but I don't want her to get strangled in any loose threads because she likes shredding things. So far, the toys she has:
1. a braided toilet paper rope
2. a coconut hut with a ladder
3. a little paper box seed foraging toy
She seems to be pretty occupied but after another week I know I have to switch around the toys. What toys do you recommend?
By the way, if you want to know how to make the toilet paper rope toy for your destructive birds, its super simple and for sure keeps them occupied.
1. take 3 long pieces of toilet paper and tie them on one end. Leave a lot of toilet paper so you can secure the rope in the cage.
2. braid the 3 pieces of toilet paper tightly, enough so that your bird can chew but not enough so it can get strangled, occasionally (every few inches) ripping out a small section of toilet paper , making a little extra piece of paper your bird can shred.
3. tie the end with a loose piece of toilet paper gently and hang in the cage.
I am pretty confident that Smokey can't get strangled in the toilet paper because...
~ the little extra strips of toilet paper are only AT MOST 1 inch long or less.
~ Smokey can easily shred the toilet paper with no problem AT ALL
~ and the toilet paper rope is tightly braided so she can't get strangled in it. I always check the rope to make sure there are no extra long pieces she can get trapped in.
So, do you recommend any toys that are safe? Most of the toys I see are actually unsafe so I do need much advice...!