A hard decision - Talk Parrots Forums

Parrot Health, Maintenance, and Safety Discuss parrot health, parrot care, parrot safety and maintenance.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: greece
Age: 30
Posts: 27
Thanks: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
A hard decision

So i've got a male tiel who can't breath right and makes a sound when breathing from his nostrils, most of the time he breaths with his mouth open. Now, he is at vet's office for the second day but he showed no improvement. His behaviour is normal though. The vet did everything but didn't see anything. We thought it maybe due to water because he isn't careful when he drinks water but he should have improved after the meds if it was due to water.
It may be due to a seed or a feather.. he must have a radiography of his trachea but the vet wants to do anaesthesia in order to do this.. which is dangerous..
So he told me to think about it while we still wait to see if his health improves.
I don't think that letting him like this is a solution, it will only get worse, but putting his life in danger since his mood is fine after all.. sounds bad as well.. But his trachea is in really bad condition .. so he must be in pain..
Opinions?

Last edited by nana2424; 01-18-2013 at 06:59 AM.
nana2424 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
I think that could be a case of air-sac mites which can be treated with ivermectin. Ask your vet about that, as it is surprisingly common without regular preventative measures and can be treated easily

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: greece
Age: 30
Posts: 27
Thanks: 19
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
the vet gave him invermectin still not improvement after 24h.. he said that we will wait for another 24h to see..
also gave him other medication. but no improvement.

Last edited by nana2424; 01-18-2013 at 07:33 AM.
nana2424 is offline  
 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM


 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,245
Thanks: 325
Thanked 620 Times in 487 Posts
Rep Power: 33
                     
This is my personal opinion... I think if he has poor quality of life or the risk of having to be put to sleep over this.. The risk of him getting worse and suffocating. I would have the procedure done... My opinion is it is better to go peacefully under anesesia than to collapse and die... However this is a very personal decision that YOU have to be able to live with afterwards ... Good luck to you both.
ParrotletsRock is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome