So I have some news.
I finally asked my mother if I worked really hard at my job and possibly got a second job, and saved up money, if I could bring home another large parrot. (Kind of like when I saved up and bought Alex - for those of you who don't know, about a year ago, I saved up and bought an African Grey. He is in a different home now.)
Why I didn't say "good news" and only "news" is because...she really hasn't given me an answer yet.
But that's actually a good sign! Usually when I ask for pets her immediate response is no, but I can see she is struggling to decide whether she should say yes or no this time. She has "mixed feelings" she says. Basically, I know she hates the messes, the noise, how I neglect to clean up poop when the birds poop all over the house (teehee..oops
) but on the other hand she knows I love birds, and she knows it would be really good for me to set a goal like this and to work hard saving up for the money.
So, I'm not going to bug her about it. I'm going to let her think and give her time. Meanwhile, I'm going to look for a second job, research more on macaws, get more hours at the job I already have, and blab about it all here. LOL!
At the Bird Farm where I buy my birds and bird supplies, they have Greenwing Macaw eggs as well as Blue and Gold Macaw eggs right now. What I was thinking is, as my birthday is coming up soon, (July 11), I could ask my parents (if they agree to this, of course) if they could put in a deposit to hold one of the macaws. That way I'll be a couple hundred dollars into buying the bird already, and while I wait for them to hatch and become old enough to go home, I can save up money like crazy.
And, even if in the end my parents decide they don't want me buying a macaw while I live with them, I can still spend the summer saving up for a macaw and then put all the money away and use it when I move out, which should be in the next couple of years.
So, I'm excited! I will be contacting the Bird Farm soon to find out more about these eggs and how much a deposit will have to be.
What I'm already struggling with deciding is which kind of macaw I should purchase...a Greenwing, or a Blue & Gold? The Blue & Gold is $1200, and the Greenwing is $1600. I think if they were the same price, I'd go for the Greenwing, but as one is more expensive than the other, I have to consider that it will take more time/energy and if I'm racing against time to get the money before they are ready to go home, would it be better to settle with the cheaper macaw? In the future I might get a second macaw, which will probably be whichever one of these two I don't buy now (unless a Hyacinth somehow enters the picture, of course!!) So yeah...opinions? I also wanted to know how much of a size difference there is between the two macaws? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!