Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i think i need help...

6K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  Jessica E 
#1 · (Edited)
so once again i am becoming "obsessed" with larger birds. i am pretty sure i need one ;) i just feel like that a bigger bird is what i am missing in life. im not sure how to describe it....

i was watching a parrot documentary (parrot confidential), and there was people who were rescuing all of these parrots, and all i kept thinking was " i really want to do that". i always go on Craigslist to look at any birds on there, and there are a lot in need. yes yes i know i cant save them all, but there are some really nice tempered ones that come through that i would love to have.

and then i think that i only have parakeets and those are simple, but then i think that i give my parakeets more toys and attention than some of the parrots i find on CL. there is always a person giving away a large bird and there are no toys.... i could give it a better life with out even trying and just doing what i usually do, making toys and spending my day with them.

i love my little flock, but i remember the time i snuggled with a 'too, a rescued 'too. and i just think that i really want a snuggly parrot (that isnt the only reason), a bird that i can really enjoy and not just watch, one that i can bond with. if i spoil my little flock, imagine how much a larger parrot(compared to a keet) would be spoiled? for one who doesnt own other birds, i have a good idea of what i would get myself into- possible biting, screaming, more cleaning, plucking etc. etc. so its not like i am oblivious to those things and i want one just to hold or to talk, i want one for the bond, the unspoken bond that can't be explained with words.

am i going crazy here?!?

See less See more
#2 ·
Also remember, a larger bird needs a larger cage, larger dishes, larger toys, more food, and all of this costs a LOT more money. ONE toy for a 'Too or Macaw can run upwards of $40. So do you really think you could spoil a larger bird when one toys costs $40?
Not trying to discourage you just want to make you think. :)

#3 ·
it is a good point. this thread will allow me to see different problems and i will see if i have a solution for them :) if i got one online, they usually come with their cage and everything, which cut costs of a new cage, etc. i also make my own toys. a keet toy that is $8, i can buy the toy parts and make it for about a dollar, which saves a lot of money in the end. i would plan to do the same; only it would be like a $20+ toy only costing like $5 to make :) and there is just the simple things like paper products to add to toys and as of this year, we are growing our own loofa gourds, which will soon be cleaned and added to my bags of toy parts.

i have also thought about making bigger toys, and i realized that most of the toy parts i buy come in many sizes, so i could really just make the same toys, but super size them

#4 ·
I think you're perfectly capable of owning a different bird :) what would you like? Would it have to be a cockatoo or would you have something Senegal sized etc? Cause it's not just the big guys ;)

#5 ·
Other cuddly birds are tiels and conures... They are much more bird, still in a smaller more handleable package and with less of a lifetime commitment (up to 30 years instead of 50-75 or more) they both bond tightly to people and are great birds. Tiels are actually the smallest of the too family.

#6 ·
I too would recommend getting a smaller "big" bird. Like tiels or conures. Cockatoos are not really birds, their a life-style choice. :) You're also pretty young and I assume have a lot of big events that have not happened to you yet...getting married, having children, etc. If you commit to a large bird now, will you be able to keep your commitment, will you be happy, will the bird? When I was younger, I really wanted a large dog, but my parents didn't let me, so I volunteered at a shelter and got my big dog "fix". Perhaps there is a rescue near you that might need volunteers? I'm not saying that you're not capable of taking care of a large bird and it's really great that you're thinking about it before you commit!

Reactions: Abby and meadiva
#8 ·
all of this is mostly just an unreachable dream... unless a christmas miracle happens, which i really doubt :(

i would love a tiel, but i would also love to jump straight into big birds. i have always loved greys, but i seem to become more obsessed with macaws and 'toos, along with the greys. in the back of my head, i am telling myself that jumping that far in size would me be very mature of me to do.

i am not going to college and i have no plans to have kids :p i do not like kids, so my pets are my kids :D

i feel better talking about it. makes me feel like i have a chance, but in reality, i am getting myself excited over nothing. which is sad because there are many parrots out there that could use a home and care, and an owner who would turn away a plucked bird, because it is the attitude that matters, not the looks :eek:

#10 ·
I too watched the show Parrots Confidential and after watching that, I am surprised you want a larger bird. I knew there were many rescue places for parrots but was shocked at how overwhelmed most of them were. I have had larger birds and the smaller are so much easier to care for. But you seem to know what you are getting into more than most people. I would check around for rescues and maybe you will find your dream bird.

#11 · (Edited)
As gteat as thry may be, I just don't think I'd personally ever have enoigh time for something like a cockatoo or macaw. After watching parrot confidential and just my oen interactions with the species, it seems like they really tske up your whole life. That just would work for me.

I think Gccs are very snuggly and much more large bird like but still in a manageable way. Senegals are another example of this as well as caiques. If it were me, I'd stick to those as they have all the pros of bigger birds without the cons. Caiques and gccs are also very playful so that's nice. If you're ok with the noise level of cockatoos and macaws than I'm sure a sun conure would be nothing. And boy, people have great things to say about them too (as long as youre ok with the noise factor). Most people say they are more even tempered than the species mentioned above. They sure are beautiful.

#12 ·
I understand wanting to rescue a larger bird, especially a cockatoo...they just melt your heart, don't they? It sounds like one day, when you're ready, you'll be the perfect person to rescue one.

I also have such a soft spot for tiels, though -- and there are a mind-boggling amount of them in rescues, on Craigslist, etc. So sad. They're such lovely birds. Very different from budgies...not that budgies aren't great, but tiels are like toos in a smaller (and less life-altering) package.

#13 ·
It will probably be about 5 years before I am able to get anything, I have already found so many birds on Craigslist that are gentle and mild mannered.

After watching parrots confidential, I just want to rescue some of the birds. I know I could to a heck of a lot better than that amazon owner who got an amazon as a first bird and had it in a small cage and gave it no toys and also no preening toys for when it was plucking :(

I know this chirstmas miracle won't happen because I tried to get a tiel before and was only allowed parakeets. For some reason getting 4 parakeets is "less" than getting one cockatiel..... I tried to clarify that cockatiels were not cockatoos an they were quieter and gentle. But still it seems like everyone still thought that cockatiels are the size of a car and scream 24/7 -___-

#14 ·
Cockatiels are their own family, but are related to cockatoos. Why don't you consider a small macaw? Hahn's macaws have just as much going for them as the others, even though they're smaller (they're still tons bigger than a green cheek conure and such though!). They're also just as loud :lol:

#15 · (Edited)
i would love a mini macaw! or any other bird :p

what are senegals like? i feel like i see a good amount of them on Craigslist.

this is one of the parrots i have found online that look good.... but it is still just a dream at this point :(

Attachments

#16 ·
I went from budgies to Tiels and believe me they are great birds. I hand raised my first in 1993 and just love them. My Cheekie went all over the place with me. Actually Daisy it was originally thought that tiels were a separate species hence the name Nymphicus Hollandicus, but a few years ago they used dna testing on them and found that they were actually full members of the Cockatoo family. They decided not to change their botanical name, unlike the Bourke Parrot which they did the same testing on and found they appeared to be a hybrid between a Neophema and a Psephotus and renamed them Neo-Psephotus instead of Neophema.

I have now graduated to owning much larger birds having Sulphur Crested, Galah's and Corella's. Another larger bird that is great is the Alexandrine, much quieter than a too and can be just as cuddly. They are great birds. Although I can appreciate the beauty of a large Macaw, I have never really had the yen to own one. But a few years ago I met some Hahn Macaws and fell in love with them. They may be smaller than a Blue and Gold but they think they are as big. Have great personalities and can be so sweet. I have always wanted a Grey but that is a dream that will probably never eventuate as I just don't have the money to obtain one and they just don't come up for re-homing for free here.

#17 ·
The bigger birds are much more costly. I only have a Red Belly (same family as sene's, and Meyers etc.) and its a huge difference. I don't think I could ever afford the care for a really large bird. I also make my own toys for less but I am having a hard time keeping up and am finding I need to reconsider what is appropriate for my Jellybean. Paper toys last about 30 minutes, plastic chains or other plastic parts need to be thick or he destroys em, foot toys that were ok for my Love bird are dangerous for Jelly because they will shatter under his beak. The large wood toys (smaller wood chunks but large sized toy) last me about a week, but I can't give him the really big wood chunks because then its too hard and he isn't interested. He needs a large cage taking up a good amount of room and money. If they say they come with cage on CL be aware it may not be appropriate for the size bird. The perches must be bigger, the food costs more and you get into a whole new variety of diet offerings. I have a pumpkin seed and almond addict.

I find I can not let Jellybean out with any other birds, for the safety of my other birds. I even need to house them in different rooms because Jellybean will try to bite if they got on his cage, he even tried to get them thru their own cage when he lands on it. He is even territorial on the play gyms. Jelly is a sweet bird, he started out his life with lots of really large birds and some of his own size. However he seems to think smaller ones need to be eaten.

Another consideration is bites. Jellybean breaks skin easily when he bites, its really painful even if you have protection to keep skin intact. I know its a matter of time before I get bit (like my husband and a few friends and his breeder) because all birds have bad days. I try to keep my face away from him as much as I can to avoid any permanent damage if he should decide a freckle needs to be removed. He can bite thru my shirts in just a second, before I can even get my hand up to stop him. For a small beak he is really dangerous.

Just wanted to give some insight to caring for even a med size bird, some things others mentioned and some they didn't. I do think you have it in you to care for one properly, I know you love your birds. Its just so different than the smaller birds, so many things I learned after I brought Jellybean home. There are so many things that even after doing research I didn't know, or people didn't think to post about. I think its great that you are looking and asking now when your thinking it will be another 5 years or so before you can get one.

After watching that same show I changed my way of thinking a little bit. I used to think getting a bird from a baby was best. Now I think getting an older rescue is prob a better choice. You can spend time with a rescue to get to know it before you bring it home. I would also think they are thru puberty (what ever they call it when the hormones change from baby to sexual maturity) and you wont get any surprises in that area.

#18 ·
thanks for all the great info :) i can relate with the biting through the shirt because my rabbit with occasionally bite and actually leave a lump on my arm that is bruised. i always liked older animals instead of the younger ones. i always want "the pets that no one wants". with cats and dogs i wouldn't have to house break or litter train them, they would know how to do that and how to behave in a house. with birds i can skip over the maturity stage. and it really doesnt matter if you get them when they are 10+, because you still have 20-70 more years to spend with them.

#20 ·
I don't understand why everyone is pushing towards a Cockatiel or Conure, etc.
What qualifications do you think a potential large bird owner needs to have? I think Shelly would be a great large bird owner and not everyone has to go from Budgies to Tiels to say, Sennies, etc and slowly get slightly larger birds until you're at a Macaw or Too.

Shelly, if you think that you can handle the commitment, the cost, spare the extra room, and can handle any possible behaviour issues then I say go for it. Especially since you are planning this 5 years down the road. That's a lot of time to prepare, save up money, and perhaps visit multiple different Birds to make sure they are the ones for you.
Go to a breeder and visit their babies and adults, go to a rescue and spend time with the birds that they have and maybe even volunteer. Talk to lots of people that have owned the Birds you're interested in and make sure you ask the hard questions.

Good luck. :)

#21 ·
I did not mean to imply that Shelly would not be a great big bird Mom... My statement was to show her that there are less expensive, easier to get birds out there that are much more personable than budgies without having to jump right into a 50-75 year commitment. She wanted sweet and cuddly .. Both my tiel and conure fit that bill in a much more handalabe package. What she does now will have major impact on her life in the future. She is doing the right thing by researching and asking question... In the end it is her choice and we just want her to go into it with her eyes wide open and possible some other choices.

#22 ·
I realize that, I'm not trying to argue.
It's just she wants a larger Bird and I'm sure she has considered getting another smaller one but if that's not what she wants, then so be it.
She said that she wouldn't be getting one for a few years down the road so she has lots of time to make a decision.

#23 ·
Oh I understand your not arguing... Neither am I...lol just wanted her and you to know where I am coming from... I think she needs to hear from all different opinions... For and against ( I am NOT against tho ). I think if a large bird is still her dream when the time comes then when she is ready she should and will get one.

#24 ·
I'm still going to recommend a Hahn's macaw for you :)

Kate, thank you for letting me know! I didn't know that they had done tests to find that out. And I didn't know that about the Bourke's either. My Parrots of the World books have only got the old names in them :lol: It's like the Harris' hawk. Their latin name is parabuteo unicinctus, meaning 'like buzzard'. They're not quite a hawk and not quite a buzzard. The buteo in their name is a buzzard though. They have the long legs and tail of a true hawk but broad wings like a buzzard! Also the personality of one too

#25 · (Edited)
It's much easier for me to look after my African Grey than to look after my tiny lovebird :lol: I'm just saying bigger birds don't always mean they're more demanding. My grey is easier to look after than all my other little guys ;). If I have to choose between a senegal and a grey I would definitely choose the grey for sure! The perfect flock in my mind for one to have would have to include a lovebird, a quaker, and a Congo African Grey :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.