It had been a normal day, I'd just finished removing all the soild easibed and had washed the water bowls. I put a dash of aloe vera in the new drinking water as I sometimes do and went about giving seed. I then started moving some old cages out of the bird room in preparation to move the conures out of my bedroom and back in.
It was at this point I noticed blueberry, my own 2013 cobalt linnie, throw up what looked like thick water. I was concerned but he immediately went back to playing with the others. A few mins later he did it again so I stopped and just sat there watching everyone. He was playing on the booing and flopped upsidedown and seemed to hang there but not alarm calling. I thought maybe he'd caught a nail as he seemed to fall backwards not forwards which was odd. He is quite tame anyway but I was suprised to find he wasn't stuck and climbed onto my hand very docile like (blueberry isn't docile!) but as I drew him out of the cage he snapped out of it and fidgetted like mad making indigent squeaks until I relented and he flew back in straight to the booing again and started playing.
I decided to carry on moving the cages but as I glanced back he was panting and seconds later he collapsed on the floor in convulsions. I scooped him up and shoved him up my top so I didn't drop him. He threw up some more water and then passed away. It was so sudden!! :-(
We have been over it every which way and believe the sponge I'd picked up from the sink and washed the bowls with had been used the day before by my husband to clean a dog cage with Anigene (a kind of strong disinfectant). It had no oder and was just sat there next to our mugs.
It's not even worth me yelling why did he put it back in the sink with the tea cups and not throw it away... Because I'm equally at fault assuming that as I do most of the housework I know where all these things have been.
It has been a very tragic accident. Ironically if he'd been a dog or cat he just needed to flush it out with plenty of water. It would have only been trace amounts and would have done no real harm to anyone else... Just the birds
I don't know to laugh or cry that the cleanest sponge in the house killed him!
He will always be known as my little soldier though... Because his fast reaction caused me to rip out the other 7 water bowls before I was even sure of the cause (but recognised poisoning!) and he has saved over 20 lives. Two other birds showed symptoms but they were older and have survived as I prioritized their care and have watched them like a hawk the last few days.
My poor boy taken way too soon xx
April 2013 - August 2013
Sent from Petguide.com Free App