I wanted to wait to post anything because I was hoping he would pull through, but unfortunately things didn’t go as well as I thought they may have.
I went to get Coby out of his brooder to feed him, and found he was breathing with his mouth open and kind of gasping for air. I rang the vet I normally go to, and they were closed, so I rang another vet hospital that is not far from where we live, and they said to bring him in immediately, however they were closing in 25 mins, so it was a huge rush. Got there 5 minutes before they closed, I explained to her what happened, and she said Coby will have to stay there and they will put him in one of their humidifier/oxygen tanks and give him antibiotics/fluid via injections after tests.
Update on Sunday morning
Coby is still fighting, he is still in a pretty bad state (breathing with his mouth open) but the oxygen/humidifier tank is what is keeping him alive right now. The vet says he has a respiratory infection.
Update on Sunday afternoon
There is another vet in and he has been going in all day today, back and forth, checking on Coby, making sure he is OK. Coby is still fighting with all that he can, the vet said he seems a bit chirpier (sp) then before, he is getting antibiotics and he is still in the oxygen/humidifier tank… the vet also tried to crop feed Coby, but he wouldn’t eat, and he started stressing out. He is being handled as very little as possible, the vet said he wants to do some (more) tests, but due to the state he is in, he doesn’t want to stress him out, and as I mentioned, the vet doesn’t want to handle him unless it is completely necessary. The vet has been SO wonderful, Coby is in great hands, and that makes me/us feel a whole lot better.
Update Monday morning (today)
Coby made it through the night, but there are still no signs of improvement. (nothing has changed) The vet is now worried his system could/will start shutting down because he won’t eat, and he isn’t getting the nutrition that he needs. The vet is amazed that Coby is still going, he said he is a real fighter. A decision needs to be made though, keep trying, or… let him go.
What do I do? He is fighting so hard, yet not getting any better.
We (my mum and I) were going to go and see Coby at the vet hospital, but my mum had a bad headache and wanted to leave going to see Coby until a bit later.
I got a call a few hours later with bad news. Coby had passed away, he stopped fighting.
My baby Coby was only 7 weeks old, he passed away from a respiratory infection, despite being in an humidifier/oxygen tank and being given antibiotics. He fought SO hard, with everything he could, but he lost the fight.
Here is the last photo I got of him, which was the day before he went to the vet hospital.
I miss you so unbelievably much Coby, it hurts that I couldn’t even be there with you, or see you one last time. I will never forget you, you were such a sweet baby, I will miss giving you head scratches and waking up to your noises every morning. Rest in peace little guy, you mean a lot to me, and I hope you know that I love you and always will.