I appreciate everyone's opinions. As a whole I feel that my birds have a good diet, they eat better than I do. I just wanted to change up the seed/pellet mix I use because the sunflower shells drive me insane. That's it...no other reason. As already stated they get a seed/pellet mix which is available 24/7 and I also give them the following.
1. Millet~available 24/7
2. Cuttlebone~available 24/7
3. Veggie Mix~makes enough for a month, keep frozen & remove as needed.
(they get this every morning for breakfast)
2 bags frozen mixed veggies
2 bags frozen steamed & peeled sweet potato
1 bag frozen broccoli
1/2 bag frozen edamane, shelled
6 scrambled eggs, no seasoning
2 cups steamed whole grain brown rice, no seasoning
1/2 cup whole flaxseeds
4. Nut mix~makes enough for a month, stored in airtight container.
(this is their evening meal/snack before bedtime~all nuts are raw &
unsalted. I use combination of shelled, unshelled & cracked shells)
Sprouts Mixed Nut Mix and I add the following to it.
Walnuts w/cracked shells
Pumpkin Seeds in Shell
Extra Almonds, the P'lets like these
5. Fruit~ I buy fresh fruit in season and will give them fruit as a treat during
the day. I keep Apples, Strawberries & Raspberries on hand at all times
as these are favorites, but I'll also buy others depending on the season.
Always cut & prepared so that they do not get toxic seeds etc. The
exception being Kiwi in which case the seeds are fine.
6. Table Food~ This is probably the most debatable area, but I have hard time
telling my P'lets "NO" when it comes to my plate. I don't let them have
anything that I KNOW is on their banned list, but I do let them sample
anything that they show interest in. Their favorites are Pizza (homemade
wheat crust), homemade whole grain waffles and Chinese food (the cooked
veggies, carrots and such).
7. Treat Sticks~ commercial treat sticks, available 24/7
8. Training Treats~ PINE NUTS! This is bird crack! Esp for the P'lets and the
hated Shelled Sunflowers for the 'Tiels
9. 7 Grain Sprouted Ezekiel bread
I keep a typed list next to each cage (see photo below) in order to remind the kids, husband and any guests what NOT to feed my birds.
Anyway...I do appreciate any nutritional advice anyone wants to offer in regards to their diet, but really what I'm after is a good seed/pellet combo that doesn't have Sunflower in it