I have heard before that you can crush up eggshells to feed to chickens. So I decided to research it more. I've recently had an idea to try and create a recipe using the crushed eggshells to feed to my birds.
Do you think this recipe will work?
1 Egg Shell
2 TableSpoons of Honey
1 1/2 TableSpoons of finely crushed Nuts (Walnuts, Peanuts and Almonds)
1 Thin Sheet of Apple (As explained below)
1. Break shell into small pieces roughly the size of a 5 cent coin. Place on Baking Paper and Bake in oven for 5-10 minutes on about 210+ Degrees (Depending on your oven). This will kill bacteria and make the eggshells easier to crush more.
2. Yep, You guessed it! Next you need to crush the eggshell into a fine powder (a mortar and pestle can come in handy for this otherwise i'm sure you can think of another method).
3. Select types of nuts and crush them either finely or into small pieces (Depending on what your bird likes).
4. Mix the Honey, Nut Powder and Eggshell powder together.
5. Get a small apple and cut a sheet out of it (slide the knife down alongside the core (Don't get any seeds!) and then cut it again to get a thin 3mm sheet (if that makes sense!
6. Blob the mixture onto the apple and serve.
Please give me advice and/or suggestions. If you think this recipe will work and you try it I would love to see some pics
Thanks in Advance!
Proud owner of:
lots of chooks - KFC, Sooty, Squiggle, Speedy... etc...
1 Budgie - Schwepp
2 Yellow-crowned Kakariki - Kiko and (in memory of)Calypso
2 Splendid Grass Parakeets (In memory of Hera)
2 Diamond Doves
And 4 Cockatiels