My Linnie is a tramp - Talk Parrots Forums

Parrot Behavior, Bonding and Training Discuss parrot behavior, parrot training, parrot bonding, and other psychological aspects of parrot care.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
 
BirdCrazyJill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 12
Thanked 450 Times in 340 Posts
Rep Power: 9
   
My Linnie is a tramp

well everything has been going well with new Linnie (we have been calling her "Kissy" or "Kissy Girl" because she mimics kiss noises, but no names have stuck yet) we are learning about her body language and proper ways to interact with her on her terms. Her previous owner sent her with a snuggle tent and this large shredded rope toy that also has paper in it to shred, and some wood blocks. She said she HAD to have it because she loves to nibble on it. Well... today she was making a new noise that I hadn't heard before and when I came into the room she had one foot on the perch and one foot on the toy and was rubbing herself on it!! I guess she REALLY likes that toy!! I left her alone for her privacy I've heard birds do this but have never seen it! as long as there are no eggs it's fine, I was just surprised!
BirdCrazyJill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:26 PM


 
4thebirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,616
Thanks: 1,109
Thanked 903 Times in 591 Posts
Rep Power: 17
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdCrazyJill View Post
well everything has been going well with new Linnie (we have been calling her "Kissy" or "Kissy Girl" because she mimics kiss noises, but no names have stuck yet) we are learning about her body language and proper ways to interact with her on her terms. Her previous owner sent her with a snuggle tent and this large shredded rope toy that also has paper in it to shred, and some wood blocks. She said she HAD to have it because she loves to nibble on it. Well... today she was making a new noise that I hadn't heard before and when I came into the room she had one foot on the perch and one foot on the toy and was rubbing herself on it!! I guess she REALLY likes that toy!! I left her alone for her privacy I've heard birds do this but have never seen it! as long as there are no eggs it's fine, I was just surprised!
It could cause egg laying. Mina did that and both my sister's birds do it regularly. It is normal but I would remove the object of affection if the bird is female so she doesn't start laying.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Owned by & slave to: Oliver, Gemma, Cozette, & the English Budgie Crew
4thebirds is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 AM



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Oops It's always shocking the first time you see it!

- Alexandrine parakeets Holly, George, Koda & - Crimson rosella Kasumi Orange winged Amazon parrot Paulie
catalinadee is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:54 PM


 
Flapping Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,647
Thanks: 1,255
Thanked 933 Times in 718 Posts
Rep Power: 13
       
Another option would be to donate her a linnie partner, then she needs no more toy for rubbing.
Flapping Mama is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
 
BirdCrazyJill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 12
Thanked 450 Times in 340 Posts
Rep Power: 9
   
yea right Karin!! I would need to find myself a new home if I brought home another bird i already have to figure out who she is going to live with (based on who she gets along best when when she meets the other three) because hubby will not allow 3 cages in the living room, he doesn't even like having 2 but Chip can't be with the cockatiels full time anymore because he torments them so we'll see how things go... but another linnie is just not possible haha
BirdCrazyJill is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:28 PM


 
wyrinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC, USA
Posts: 1,058
Thanks: 1,411
Thanked 748 Times in 515 Posts
Rep Power: 12
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapping Mama View Post
Another option would be to donate her a linnie partner, then she needs no more toy for rubbing.
Tell that to Stitch, who not only has Pikachu and his favorite perch, but also the hood of my sweatshirt Linnies have a lot of "love" to give.

Stitch Pikachu Thor Loki

BlazeCinder Sunday

Storm Sky
wyrinth is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Parrotletzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Omg, this made me laugh. One time I was watching a youtube video of a parrotlet mating dance and parrotlet was on my shoulder. Needless to say, he was very interested. When I realized this, I thought "omg! I'm watching birdie porn with my fids!". Hahaha

You just don't expect to see sexual behavior in something that looks so cute and innocent.
Parrotletzoo is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 PM


 
Flapping Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,647
Thanks: 1,255
Thanked 933 Times in 718 Posts
Rep Power: 13
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrinth View Post
Tell that to Stitch, who not only has Pikachu and his favorite perch, but also the hood of my sweatshirt Linnies have a lot of "love" to give.


They also have to use the perch when their partner unfortunately has the same gender or is still too young.
Flapping Mama is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM
 
Parrotletzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
We also had a budgie that couldn't be around plastic pop/soda bottle caps or you couldn't close your bottle back up. Eeewwww!
Parrotletzoo is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
 
BirdCrazyJill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 12
Thanked 450 Times in 340 Posts
Rep Power: 9
   
birds are gross haha
BirdCrazyJill is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome