Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog attacking parrot

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  parasakura 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do you guys know how to stop my dog from looking at my parrot like it is lunch meat? I have looked on other communities but everyone kind of recommends the same thing. Could you guys tell me how you were able to fix the situation? Thanks

#3 ·
Dog wanting to eat parrot

I had the same problem. It's sort of cured for one of the birds at least. My dog is extremely good at detecting flight paths and positioning himself just so that he can snap birds out the sky. I lost a number of love birds this way and many wild birds particularly fledglings which seem to have a habit of flying right into his mouth.
My parrot however outsmarts the dog as it's extremely intelligent and acrobatic in the sky. It used to in fact fly right pat the dog's mouth just to taunt it, it got so good at it. This tactic has meant the dog gave up on the idea and isn't that bothered to even try any more. However if there is a tricky situation like the parrot makes a mistake he is there in seconds, quite a feat for such a massive guardian breed. Yep the irony of his breed isn't lost on me, every other creature he things is a baby lamb, birds however are a light snack. He actually eats them straight away. This could be a way they supplemented their poor diet on the Caucasuses and it has become a trait because he is also very well fed. The other dog a JRT was also put in his place by the parrot who is fearless, after repeated lunges by the dog with the parrot doing the same right back through the cage the JRT it seems has decided the parrot isn't lunch anymore but something altogether different. I think they could become play mates but Im too chicken to try anything along these lines. The parrot wouldn't be happy either.

The other parrot who is just weaned is in a bit more danger. He flies right at the dogs even landing on them which has my heart in my throat. Hopefully he will learn dogs are dangerous and are best avoided.

Ultimately it's better if your dog is a tiny puppy when you introduce parrots, they can become the best mates this way. However the only other thing you can try is some serious clicker training of the dog to get it conditioned not to touch the bird. You may need some help learning this technique but it's quite simple once you know how I believe. I did some training of the larger dog with treats to stop it stalking the parrot every time I let it out. This did work. The stay command and treat instantly he obeys. Of course I cant do that every time but it seems to have also helped.

What kind of parrot is it? It might help knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.