Anybody have any suggestions for thing I would need to start out my african grey. I know there are a lot of things I could get, but what would I need. Im just not sure what I have to have. I am looking for suggestion for anything anybody would think is good to start with.
Oh yes. You are talking to the queen of bird toys, perches, and supplies here. (Thank you to my friend Jo Anne years ago that got me totally obsessed about these things!).
My recommendations for your African Grey:
1. Several types of wood perches for in the cage, to include a grapevine wood one, size medium. These are the best wood perches IMO.
2. At least one soft, cotton perch or bungee/boing for in the cage. It's nice for all birds to have this to rest their feet. Sisal is an alternative and also very nice. Oh, my absolute favorite comfy perches are the leather ones I sell. Birds LOVE them.
3. A medium or large sized swing for your Grey in the cage.
4. If your cage has feeder doors and cups, you may not need these, but feeder cups are nice. I prefer stainless steel for water always, but I like both the stainless steel cups for food and also the Jungle Talk Crock Locks are fantastic.
5. I try to make sure all of my birds have the following in-cage toys:
*1 or 2 Preening Toys
*1 or 2 nice wood toys
*2-3 Foraging Toys
*A swing and/or bungee/boing or orbiter like I mentioned above
*a Stainless Steel Skewer medium or large for feeding veggies/fruits and you can reuse this over and over with bird toy parts too
*1 or *2 Shredding Toys
6. A good, safe cage cleaner. I very much like Pet Focus, because the scent is very light and it does a great job cleaning with very little.
7. Food: Pellets, a high quality seed mix like Goldenfeast Blends (which also have dehydrated veggies/fruits in them) and a good cooking mix, and Birdie Bread mix too. Don't forget treats for training and foraging fun! Pine Nuts are a must and loved by all parrots. Nutriberries and Avicakes too.
8. Oops, almost forgot a nice grooming perch and a platform perch. There are some that are both in one. I also really love the Safety Grooming Perches by Sweet Feet & Beak. These are the ones I use in all of my cages.
Let me know if I can help you any further. I do carry all of these things in my store. Make sure you buy the largest sized cage you can afford too.
Congrats on your new Grey!