Toy shopping time!!! - Talk Parrots Forums

Parrot Housing, Caging and Toys Discuss parrot housing, parrot cages, parrot toys including do-it-yourself toys and projects.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Question Toy shopping time!!!

Mamma's tax refund just showed up and it's shoppin' time!!!

I love this time of year. It's right up there with xmas, Lol. Greyson needs some new goodies.

1) Greyson's cage looks like it was run over by a semi-truck. I was low on funds and bought it used. I really should have got something better. Thank you IRS! But I am so clueless as to what kind to get and what size he needs to be happy. He currently has a banged up dome top. Should I stick with that? What's the ideal size for an african grey? I have no idea how big he is in right now. Please help!! here are some

2) I just started researching parrot harnesses. I totally saw a lady who let her parrot hang out in a tree outside wearing one! Are they safe? I would be so worried about greyson getting attacked by another bird and not being able to defend himself The one's I have found are about $25. They are so cheap I hope they are made well.
greygirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 PM


 
lisaowens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,618
Thanks: 393
Thanked 251 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
i have a avatar harness i use for dusty my CAG as for cage i always say by the biggest you can afford and have room for this is the cage i got Dusty with my tax return i got it at overstock.com i also added a pic of dusty in his harness last year at the beach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 589.JPG (173.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 593.JPG (184.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg dusty beach 012.JPG (85.3 KB, 8 views)

lisaowens is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM


 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,245
Thanks: 325
Thanked 620 Times in 487 Posts
Rep Power: 34
                     
How about this cage... Looks awesome and the price is amazing.
http://www.petco.com/product/114150/...sultRedirect=1
ParrotletsRock is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaowens View Post
i have a avatar harness i use for dusty my CAG as for cage i always say by the biggest you can afford and have room for this is the cage i got Dusty with my tax return i got it at overstock.com i also added a pic of dusty in his harness last year at the beach
Thank you! I must say, Dusty is adorable! Such a beautiful bird. And that harness is so perfect, you can barely even tell it's there the color matches so well!
greygirl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to greygirl For This Useful Post:
lisaowens (03-20-2013)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM


 
lisaowens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,618
Thanks: 393
Thanked 251 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
thank you he is a very sweet boy

lisaowens is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotletsRock View Post
How about this cage... Looks awesome and the price is amazing.
http://www.petco.com/product/114150/...sultRedirect=1
Thanks! The petco cage looks fantastic! I love the design, it's so rustic. I'm a little bit up in the air on the color though. I think I could make it work, but I'd have to redecorate my room a little bit and that might make the price not worth it in the end I'll think about it for sure. It's between that one and this one, which I like because it still has a play top like the one from petco you recommended and I'm a big fan of Red It would definitely match my furniture better! What do you think, is it big enough? It looks a little bit smaller than the petco cage but I suppose as long as I let him out a lot on the play top he will be happy. I don't think he's ever been in anything but a dome top so I'm a little nervous.

Thank you again!!!
greygirl is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:16 PM


 
lisaowens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,618
Thanks: 393
Thanked 251 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygirl View Post
Thanks! The petco cage looks fantastic! I love the design, it's so rustic. I'm a little bit up in the air on the color though. I think I could make it work, but I'd have to redecorate my room a little bit and that might make the price not worth it in the end I'll think about it for sure. It's between that one and this one, which I like because it still has a play top like the one from petco you recommended and I'm a big fan of Red It would definitely match my furniture better! What do you think, is it big enough? It looks a little bit smaller than the petco cage but I suppose as long as I let him out a lot on the play top he will be happy. I don't think he's ever been in anything but a dome top so I'm a little nervous.

Thank you again!!!
my greys old cage had a play top he never really played on it just stood on it he does the same thing with his new cage even though it has no play top but that cage you are looking at looks fine for a grey

lisaowens is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaowens View Post
my greys old cage had a play top he never really played on it just stood on it he does the same thing with his new cage even though it has no play top but that cage you are looking at looks fine for a grey
Hmmm. If all he did was stand there then maybe I should stick with a dome top so he has more inside space. Do you think that's true for African Greys in general or it was just a part of your birds personality? I really don't want to mess this up since I won't be able to afford a new one for years!
greygirl is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM


 
lisaowens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,618
Thanks: 393
Thanked 251 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
dusty plays with his toys inside his cage but really didn't care about them outside his cage. for the price you are paying for the one you posted you could get a huge one like i got dusty look on overstock.com they have several cages mine is the large royalty cage you can also get coupons for the site to take 10% or so off of the order. i don't know if it is just dusty or all greys i know a few that do not play outside their cage

lisaowens is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaowens View Post
i don't know if it is just dusty or all greys i know a few that do not play outside their cage
I want to find a place I can just "test drive" cages, let him loose, and see which one he likes the most, Lol! Although I wouldn't want to have to clean up after!!
greygirl is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM


 
lisaowens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,618
Thanks: 393
Thanked 251 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygirl View Post
I want to find a place I can just "test drive" cages, let him loose, and see which one he likes the most, Lol! Although I wouldn't want to have to clean up after!!
the only place i know you can take him into and see how he reacts to different cages is petco and petsmart but they do not always have big cages on display

lisaowens is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 5,750
Thanks: 734
Thanked 474 Times in 379 Posts
Rep Power: 42
                     
Show us everything after you've bought it!




DIGBY 4-year-old male Congo African Grey
Abby is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome