Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Humping Lorikeet

10K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Julie 
#1 ·
My Scaly Breasted Lorikeet has started humping my hand, fluffing up her feathers and rubbing her tail back and forth (only the past two day). Opal is around 11 months old and i am unsure if opal is a male or female the breeder i bought her from was almost positive she is a girl becuase she is a lutino and her mother was and its suppose to be a female dominate gene.. But don't quote me on that last bit its just what i've been told and found online.

Anyway what i was wondering is if there is anything i can do to stop her? And if there could be any psychological side effects if she is sexually frustrated? Also do Female Lorikeets hump? Ive been told only males get sexually frustrated and i guess that would mean she is a he. If she is a she would or could this mean she is going to lay eggs? and if so should what should i do?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but i am a first time bird owner and am learning as we go along.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Opals Mum Josie. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Josie, your baby is gorgeous! So, so pretty. :D

It sounds like your little girl is seeing you as her mate. Male and Females birds will both attempt to mate with their perceived partner, so it isn't just a Male thing.

I would try to discourage this behaviour as you don't want her becoming overprotective of you and ending up attacking people to protect her "mate". It's also not healthy for a Parrot to think of a Human that way. :)

Since it's summer now maybe try limiting her daylight hours as well (cover her cage) to help her simmer down a bit.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Lutino is usually passed from father to daughter if both parents are not lutino or the male is lutino. If the male is not lutino he would be split for lutino, (only males can be split for an ino colour), hens cannot be split. So if the mother was lutino and you get a visual lutino baby then the father must have been split for lutino and your bird is quite possibly a male. If the father was normal and not split and the mother lutino then any males hatched would only be split for lutino and not visual at all, you would not get any visual babies from that pairing.

Easier way to understand is split lutino cock and normal hen any lutino's hatched will automatically be hens. Normal cock x lutino hen chicks will either be normal hens and split lutino cocks. Lutino x lutino all chicks lutino. Split lutino cock x lutino hen all hens hatched will be lutino, 50% cocks split lutino and 50% cocks lutino. My understanding from memory without digging out my genetics book and looking it up.

Your bird is probably at the stage of sexual maturity and being warmer weather is trying to mate as it is bonding to you as a partner. You need to discourage this behaviour. Kayla is right and he will become over protective of you and will quite probably attack anyone that comes close to you, seeing them as a threat.

#5 ·
Gotta love the weirdness of genetics. But for the math of it, Kate seems spot on. Either way, I also encourage discouraging mating behavior. I feel like a broken record at times, but I just lost a bird to over-breeding behavior and it is more serious than you'd think.

#7 ·
One of my lories I could literally not go near him without him having his way with my hands! You're not the only sufferer out there so you can get plenty of support ;)

She's absolutely beautiful!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 · (Edited)
Me, too!

I cannot believe this.
It's so funny that this subject came up, b/c I came online just this very moment as Baby just tried to rub his bottom on my hand while I was trying to scritch him. I had a male budgie that did that for years and would actually leave what I "thought" was poop in my hair until he started leaving it on my forearm.

He's often tried to get onto my finger while I was scritching him, then he'd get up on his tiptoes, raise his head up and really dive down to try to groom my finger .......several times in a row. I've often wondered if this was a way to show his dominance....maybe he thinks I'm his hen?:lol: He's also been raising and spreading his wings above his head as if to show his colors (which are beautiful)and shaking them slightly.

Could also explain his moods which come and go.

I have him on a 12/12 day/night schedule, sometimes making the nights longer as I get up too late to hit 6a to get him up. What else?

What a little stinker.

#9 ·
Lol I just got on to ask about this problem too! The difference is that my lovebird is humping her rope toy. Should I remove it or simply give her more time out of the cage to try to decrease her time with her "mate"?

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.