Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advice on ring necked parrot please

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Abby 
#1 ·
Hi I am the new owner of a 2 year old male ring necked and every time I go near the cage or try to talk to him he squarks really loud.
I've hand fed him some monkey nuts which he took but then bit me 3 times :(

Any advice would be great

Thanks

#2 ·
Bekki, welcome to the forum!! We have many members with IRN's so hopefully they can give you some good advice. My advice is to go slow, sit by the cage and read a book or watch TV, get him used to you being around him without interacting. Once he's comfortable with that, start talking to him thru the cage. Then work on feeding him out of your hands, and keep taking it from there. With a shy or scared bird, the best way is to work in baby steps and build up their trust

#4 ·
I agree with all that Jenny have said. If you only just had your Ringneck, give him about 3 weeks to settle in and get used to the surroundings. Stay at a distance during the settling in period, only approach the cage if it's a must, such as recplacing food & water, etc.

Then after the 3 weeks period when he is comfortable with his surroundings and seeing you around, you can then do baby steps and inches foward. If you want to feed him then I'd suggest you feed from a spoon or anything you can use to feed him at a distance from his beak to start off with, then when he is used to you feeding him maybe then you could try and feed him out of your hands. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

#5 ·
welcome to the forum, the above members gave you great information, I'm sure everything will be fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.