Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

want to feed Max good things

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Abby 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, I went to the grocery store tonight and came home with healthy food--mostly. I got cherries, grapes, apples, bell pepper, carrots, tomatoes, snow peas, and zucchini. I also found some cereal (for cooking) that has a variety of grains. Now for my questions: how much do I feed? I checked with the pet store where I got Max. They said that they were never given hatch date, but think he is about 7 months old. Also, what about frozen veggies? I don't buy many fresh veggies because it is just me and the bird and I can't buy small amts of veggies.

As for an update on Max, he seems to be settling in nicely. He will spend about 1/2 hr of beak/feet-on quality time twice daily. He naps periodically and ducks into his cage for a bite or a drink.

Connie

#2 ·
With my birds, when I fed them healthy food, I just slap plenty more than enough on a plate for them all. I don't think it's bad for birds to have too much of healthy food, so I never measure how much they should have. As for frozen veggies, I can't see any problem feeding them cooked frozen veggies, of course it's better if the vegetables were fresh, if when ever you got them available on hand to feed your bird. This is what I would do, the rest is up to you:)

#3 ·
I do feed frozen vegetables on occasion. I just thaw them out and feed like that. Cooked is ok, too, but just thawed is also fine. The only things you have to cook are beans such as black beans, kidney beans, etc. My birds actually seem to prefer frozen, thawed broccolli and califlower to fresh. Other things they like better fresh, but eat the frozen.

Oh, I almost forgot, do cook sweet potato before serving it, too. Can anyone think of anything else I am missing that really should be cooked first.

#4 ·
I too use frozen veggies if I don't have the time to prepare fresh and if I don't have the space for the fresh stuff. It's still good stuff! I still do try and give fresh most days though but they do have some frozen

#7 ·
Another point is to just be creative when you are putting foods together. If you mix two foods together that YOU'D never eat, well, the birds will still eat it and enjoy it. I heard of this AWESOME recipe, it was eggs in a pan, mixed with seeds/pellets, fruits/veggies, and then cooked in the oven. It rose kind of like bread and my birds LOVED it. I will try to find the exact recipe and how to prepare/cook it, as it was GREAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.