Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Canary Sing Like an Angel (videos)

3K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr Peepers 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Even their contact call is cute....although not right next to your ear :biggrin5:

But I'd rather have my ears ringing than the annoying canary PWEEP

Most of the time the Linnie's make this little grunting, soft Guinea pig noises.

If I could figure out how to post videos without links I could post the adorable baby-begging-parent-to-throw-up-in-their-mouth noise.

Reactions: Mr Peepers
#15 ·
I am gobsmacked TOTALLY! I'm on youtube looking at linnies and they speak. They actually imitate their human's speech. I don't know why I didn't think they couldn't speak but how cool.

I love their little chatter and calls as well they are interesting birds.

#20 · (Edited)
He only started a while ago. I feel bad cause he used to love to come out and I feel like he is still mad at me.. I have normally let him have his wings unclipped as I have a room for him and I want him to fly to build his confidence and to give him the ability to be a bird, but a while back he would get worked up at my fiance Alex and kept flying out of his cage and biting the back of Alex's neck while he was on the computer. Now although Alex is an animal lover he would freak out at the bite and I am pretty sure scared the hell out of Tico, so now Tico doesn't like him at all. Tico has been distant ever since the incident. He will still come out on his own terms with me and I show him not to be scared, but he still gets gruffy and screams at Alex. Alex did feel terrible because when he freaked out he swatted him accidentally as a reflex reaction to the ground. He has tried to make ammends but birds don't forget and Alex still try's as he likes Tico, but doesn't trust him. So I clipped Tico and have kept him clipped ever since because he keeps doing it so I feel like he resents me for taking his flight away.. My linnie is unclipped so she can build confidence and is really top heavy so without the ability to fly she falls and lands really hard so she stays flighted... When the birds are out of the cages door is closed to keep the dog and cat out so I don't mind them being flighted even though I might get flack for it. I know the risks and don't recommend it for anyone else, but for my linnie it is more dangerous for her not to. When Mr. Tico got bad I clipped him to bring him back, which hasn't done me much good poor guy. My Rose crown hasn't been clipped at all, but only because when I got her she had no tail feathers and flight feathers. Even my vet mentioned she is really off balance and recommended I keep her nails a little longer so she has something to grip with. she is finally growing them in and I haven't decided if I will give her full flight or not I usually base it on the needs of me and the bird. Tico got flight because I was training him for recall and he was doing really well... but when it became dangerous for him and he became more aggressive I took the ability away. I am still unsure if I can bring him back to flight around Alex so he might just remained clipped.

#21 ·
Wow, you and the birds have been through some obstacles with regards to flying or free flight/clipped. Maybe in time Tico will get over his anger issues and be able to fly again without attacking Alex. Who would have thought little Tico could be so aggressive. :lol:

Hopefully Zoey will be able to fly a bit in time, maybe this can help her gain her balance. :)

I love when birds have the ability to free fly around a room, SPX and Peepers both fly free. Peepers was not very agile when he started flying he would do a lot of mistake landings in places he accidentally maneuvered to. Once he figured out how to coast with ease he managed to fly where he needed to go then coast lightly and land inside his cage on a perch with precision and he never landed where he didn't want to anymore. :)

Canary's don't fly anything like a budgie which is interesting to see. None of my canary's have been amazing maneuverers that could zig zag and do turns and twists. They pretty much went from point A to B in a straight line with a short little coast at the end to land on a perch.

When I first got SPX a buddy of mine was over and watched in amazement as the new budgie who was un-named at the time zip and zig zag flying around the room while screaming like a banshee all excited.

My buddy said I should name the budgie after his specialty flight squad in the Air force as this bird was able to do some of the wild flight and tricks they could when flying.

So I named the new budgie SPX - Special X. Today he's even more of a SPX flyer... one of his best flights is to come racing out of his cage cruise over my head and mess my hair as he continues on a zig zag around the room screaming loudly. Darn Yahoo budgie! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.