Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Training Kiki

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Abby 
#1 ·
So I'm working with Kiki.
I just started with her today, and I'm trying to get her to fly to me. Using Cheerios, I first had her step up, then gave her half a Cheerio and told her she was a good girl. Then, while she was on the other side of the perch, I said "Come here, Kiki!" and seeing the Cheerio, she came. I told her good girl and good "come here" and gave her the treat. Then I had a treat a bit further away from the perch and said "Come here, Kiki!" And with barely any hesitation at all, she flew from the perch to my hand quite gracefully, and I gave her the treat and acted very excited, because I was! She's been a very good girl. :D

#2 ·
That's GREAT! Congrats on your progress! What a smart girl:)
I'm going to start training with Aristotle as well. I think recall training is an excellent starter(besides step-up, of course).

#3 ·
I spoke too soon, haha. She only flew to me that one time; she has not done it again. She gives me this look like, "Eh...ain't worth it." Gotta find a more tempting treat! I know she loves oatmeal, but I can't really hand that to her. She also loves corn but we don't usually have that.

#4 ·
My conure almost always flies to me on demand now :lol: he is really quick and easy to train. He learnt to step up in the first few hours and now does it with no problem at all.

Good luck anyways :D and keep working hard

#5 ·
Kiki flies to me very well with the Cheerios now. I've only done it a few times without the Cheerios, and she will only fly far when I have one. I think she's nervous as her wings are just stating to grow back. She can go a good distance. Is this like step up, where a bird will just do it on command, or will I most of the time need treats? One time I didn't have one and after she flew to me, she was totally like RIP OFF WHERE IS MY TREAT?!

#7 ·
HAHAHA exactly! I'm getting her to fly to me a bit on her own. I'm really proud of her. I know she knows what I'm asking for everytime, she just wants a Cheerio. Once I tried to get her to fly to me, and she stared at me, bent down as if she was going to fly to me, but instead stood up again and crawled down her stand to the floor, where she picked up a crumb of Cheerio and took it back up to her perch.

#13 ·
She is really smart, Abby. Thanks for sharing that story. It made my day. As they all do, she is teaching you. :giggle:

#14 ·
Thank, Donna! I was like...Oh my gosh...My bird is really smart! It's like she is telling me something, either mocking me, or showing me she doesn't need to fly to me to get a Cheerio. I swept up all the Cheerios on the ground after that.

Now that she has more confidence when it comes to flying, she thinks she can fly to me whenever. When I put her on her stand and I sit on the couch next to her, she'll fly to my shoulder. She would never fly places before. She would walk, climb or crawl.

#15 ·
Shandi mentioned once how wonderful it feels when your birds fly to you, and I have discovered exactly what she meant since having my little ones flighted. It is sweet when they walk to you, too, but it is not exactly the same.

I'm glad to hear that you and Kiki are having so much fun together.

#16 ·
Glad to know she's getting better :biggrin5:

I know that with the Harris' Hawks I have worked with that they bargain with you. It's like "no no, that food is too small, if it's a bit bigger then I'll come down... still not big enough!" :lol: they mock us ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.