Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

freedom!

910 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  catalinadee 
#1 ·
Well it wasn't real freedom but i was trying to train the new keets and i had the big cage door open while feeding them millet. then Lenny decided that he wanted to go on another perch that was on the big door which was....um.. outside the cage! so there went lenny, flying around the room (the door was closed thank God) but i was trying to get lenny, cover fish tanks where the filter is and make sure butch didnt get out- which failed. They flew around, trashed my room etc etc. butch was the first to be but back. lenny was hanging on to a poster then flew and crashed into the wall :yikes: but he landed on a BIG pillow:eek:. i picked him up and put him back. So in the end they got their workout. I just can wait until they are finger trained! i think i will leave them flighted... :confused:. training will be done through the small door now :rolleyes:

#2 ·
Ah just make sure they're okay. That is a reason why I clip my birds. The walls etc can be really bad. A bird could break their neck. Fish tanks and any standing water is also a nightmare. Birds drown easy :( you could do what I do, I clip them until they're totally tame and learn not to fly like crazy and then let them grow again. It usually only takes the one clip :)

#4 ·
that kind of what i was going to do- clip then let grow. i am training them like i trained pumby. first i get them on my finger, then i take them into the bathroom (safest room in my house trust me) and let them fly and bond with me. when i can trust them, i get there wings clipped and then they can come out of the bathroom. it worked with pumble so ...:goodluck:

#3 ·
Mine all came home clipped. Daisys grew in super fast but se doesnt fly around. The tiels can go awhile. Lucy and Ricky were clipped pretty bad and theirs are just now starting to come in. Im probably not going to leave mine flighted once the weather gets warm though. im always afraid of open windows and doors with my kids around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.