Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobs clip one wing only

6K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  lperry82 
#1 ·
The vet only clipped one wing.
I was too embarrased to say yesterday.
But when Bob fell off his perch he fell slowly sideways and landed on his back.
I dont know what to do?
I never heard of just one wing being done.
The vet was very arrogant and I dont know if I should take Bob somewhere else and have him evened up?

#4 · (Edited)
When I read your post yesterday about the vet I thought to myself that he was a bit dodgy. There are lots of youtube videos out there that shows you how to clip wings yourself. I would definitely clip the other wing too to balance out. Gliding lobsided is danger for the bird as you already have seen what had happened. Good luck in what ever you decide to do:).

#8 ·
I'd say go to another vet, an avian vet for sure and get a friend to help you clip the other wing -- like everyone says, you can get instructions on line. It's pretty easy to do.

#13 ·
Clipping one wing is an "old-school" method. Some people still do it, but it's generally considered a bad idea. The idea is that they don't get distance, they don't glide that 4-6 feet like they do with both wings clipped ,they just kind of go straight down. Same with the "macaw" or "beauty" cuts where the 2 primary flights are left on but all the rest are clipped, so that with the wings closed they look like they have full wings. But that just leaves 2 stray feathers to get caught on things, broken, etc. It really boils down to every groomer/vet having their own preference and philosophy and views on safety. I still see vets who clip the coverts, who clip almost the whole wing, who clip too much, too little... but that's all to my personal standard which is to clip just the first 2-4 primaries up to the coverts, sometimes just behind so it leaves a nice clean line for fussy owners who want the bird to "look pretty" lol

Back in the day, people used to pinion the birds too - which means they pulled out the flight feathers repeatedly until they no longer grew back in. I've only met a few birds which had this, generally wild caught older birds but it's very sad :( I had an owner who was elderly who had always had it done with his bird (40 year old amazon) ask us to do it until we compared it to pulling out fingernails until they stopped growing... he never realized it hurt the bird, he was always told it was the right thing to do and his vet did it for him until the vet retired and closed shop. I felt so bad for both him and his bird, I'd never seen an owner turn so pale and look so stricken with guilt so quickly.

#14 ·
There are other ways to pinion a bird also... all of them very cruel.. one is to cut off the entire last section of the wing... another is to cut the tendon to the wing then bind it while it heals to keep it from reattaching... both are terrible and have been used on water fowl... not sure if it is done any more or not... anyhow... I agree he should be evened out to prevent injury.

#17 ·
I would definatly find a new place. Do you have any bird grooomers around you? You could put an add out to see if you could find one. Then I would call the vet and have at them, and tell how disappointed you are with their service.
Most of my birds are flighted but I do clip a few, I had someone show me, it sound scary but it is pretty easy.

#19 ·
Bob has 2 primaries and the rest cut.
Will get new vet or pet shop to clip.
Guy in pet shop good.
I'd rather Bob hates someone else.for trimming his wings.
I feel like I let him down but you live n learn.
I think he's ok, he didnt try n fly last night.

#20 ·
That is terrible, and they only left two primaries? Awful. I went to a pet store yesterday where they had a blue and gold macaw sat ontop of a cage (a baby for sale) so I went over to talk to him. The staff watched me like a hawk and I felt like flipping out. They obviously thought I was just some teenager trying to wind up some poor bird. I walked away in anger at that and then somebody asked the staff if he would fly away and they said "no he has his one wing clipped" and I left the store. I knew they wouldn't listen to me. I do all of my own birds wings. It saves money and they do forgive you. Birds can really hurt them selves with only the one wing cut. They also do it at college with the ducks. Really makes me angry.

#23 ·
I'd been advised by other vet that he will fall if this is evened out.
he may break his breastbone!:mad:
~Other vet said to train him in carpeted area only.
The twist when he falls lessens the danger of him hurting himself.
Also the fully flighted wing should slow him.
He's reported the vet who did this.
He said it is cruel and unnessesary.
I asked the original vet to even up as this was cruel.
He said I'm cruel for keeping a single bird in a cage and clipping it!"!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad5:
i hope he's given the boot!!!!!
avian vet my a...!

#28 · (Edited)
I asked the original vet to even up as this was cruel.
He said I'm cruel for keeping a single bird in a cage and clipping it!"!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad5:
i hope he's given the boot!!!!!
avian vet my a...!

Oh, this guy is a real gem, isn't he? (There is no smiley on here for wanting to smack somebody in a dark alley. Ever noticed that?)

My most excellent small animal vet asked me once "You know what they call someone who made D's in vet school, don't you?" I shook my head, and he replied in all seriousness "They call him Doctor." I learned with a near-fatal disaster with my grey that they can say they treat birds, but they don't need to have one snitch of specialized training to do it on their own.

That vet needs to go. I hope the word gets round about him quickly. At least then yours and Bob's ordeal will not have been in vain.

#26 ·
Oh that is absolutely TERRIBLE! :mad: I'M SO MAD! I can't believe how BAD that actually is! URGH! And how rude is that vet!? He's put Bob in danger now. Stupid stupid stupid man. Poor little Bob. I feel so bad for him.

When ever I clip Dexter's and Pickles' wings they always grow back lopsided, like one takes longer to grow back, yet they're always clipped at the same time, the same length and everything. These were taken about 2 minutes ago and both Dexter and Pickles can fly safely without crash landing still :shrug:

Pickles

and Dexter

only my conures have ever done that though, not the cockatiels or anything :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.