Hey :) - Talk Parrots Forums

New Member Introductions If you are new to the Talk Parrots Community, please introduce yourself and tell us about your parrots.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Hey :)

Hey I'm new to the forum (obviously otherwise I wouldn't be posting this hehe )!

I have handled all kinds of birds and breed various species.
I have different kinds of animals from birds of prey to snakes hehe.

Currently the only parrots I have right now are my three lovely red-fronted kakarikis. We did have five but sadly two died Kiki was just green and Eddie was pied. Chewee is pied, Flash is lutino and Yoshi is Cinnamon. I love the red-fronted kakarikis possibly because they act like tiny little monkeys haha.

I am hoping soon to be getting some more parrots so I thought I'd join the forum

So stop by and say hi
catalinadee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 AM
 
The Brute Squad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 12
   
HI and welcome! You have a busy flock. I have not even seen Kakarikis in my area. What birds of prey do you keep? We have 20 in our flock right now, mostly smaller parrots.
The Brute Squad is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Jenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,838
Thanks: 194
Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 44
                     
Send a message via AIM to Jenny
to the forum!! You have birds of prey - do you hunt with them? I've been itching to get started on my apprenticeship but I work full time and I'm a full time student, so that isn't happening



Jenny is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brute Squad View Post
HI and welcome! You have a busy flock. I have not even seen Kakarikis in my area. What birds of prey do you keep? We have 20 in our flock right now, mostly smaller parrots.

Hey! I do have a pretty busy flock but unfortunately we lost a poor little bicheno finch this morning so that was sad
Oh if you have never seen a kakariki then you should hehe. They're on of my favourite parakeets by far!
At the moment I have an Indian eagle owl and a Harris' hawk but I have flown and worked with many different kinds haha.
What sort of parrots in your flock do you have?
catalinadee is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
to the forum!! You have birds of prey - do you hunt with them? I've been itching to get started on my apprenticeship but I work full time and I'm a full time student, so that isn't happening
Hey thanks
I have have hunted with birds of prey before and it's a great experience.
I adore my own though hehe. I assume you're in the US then?
Over here we don't have to do as much as you guys do which is a shame if you're a student and stuff because obviously it can be a pain if you really want one!

As soon as you can do I'd try and get into it. It's probably the best thing and most enjoyable thing I have in my life hehe!
catalinadee is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM
 
The Brute Squad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 12
   
I have budgies and a plet, pionus, a bourke's parakeet, conures, cockatiels, and finches.
I am discovering cockatiels are my favorite.
The Brute Squad is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Jenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,838
Thanks: 194
Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 44
                     
Send a message via AIM to Jenny
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinadee View Post
Hey thanks
I have have hunted with birds of prey before and it's a great experience.
I adore my own though hehe. I assume you're in the US then?
Over here we don't have to do as much as you guys do which is a shame if you're a student and stuff because obviously it can be a pain if you really want one!

As soon as you can do I'd try and get into it. It's probably the best thing and most enjoyable thing I have in my life hehe!
Yeah, I'm in the U.S. I'm also in FL which has stricter codes for apprentices - I can start with a Red Tailed Hawk or a Red Shouldered, and I've heard Red Shouldered aren't very good for hunting (small, weaker feet so can't take down larger prey) so I'm stuck with a Red Tailed. Not that they're bad birds in any way, shape, or form but I really have my heart set on a Harris Hawk (or two) and perhaps a Kestrel How is it flying the Owl?



Jenny is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brute Squad View Post
I have budgies and a plet, pionus, a bourke's parakeet, conures, cockatiels, and finches.
I am discovering cockatiels are my favorite.

Awesome. I used to breed 'tiels and I have to admit they're wonderful birds. What sort of finches have you got?
catalinadee is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Yeah, I'm in the U.S. I'm also in FL which has stricter codes for apprentices - I can start with a Red Tailed Hawk or a Red Shouldered, and I've heard Red Shouldered aren't very good for hunting (small, weaker feet so can't take down larger prey) so I'm stuck with a Red Tailed. Not that they're bad birds in any way, shape, or form but I really have my heart set on a Harris Hawk (or two) and perhaps a Kestrel How is it flying the Owl?
Awwh boo! It kinda sucks in a way because it's so difficult for you guys to get into haha!

I adore red-tails and I REALLY want one at the moment. Perhaps I will buy one next year. Hmmm. But I think they're beautiful and really great falconry birds. I would go for a red-tail if I were you. The females are massive hehe. I do also love red-shouldered hawks but they would probably be really expensive over here. It's like I was looking at a site from the US the other day and I saw Eurasian eagle owls for sale for like $4000! I couldn't believe they cost that much over there. I got a massive female for free but usually they cost anything from $100 - $150!

Kestrels are cute (especially American ones! They're SO tiny!) but you have to have a lot of falconry knowledge to work with such small birds. I would not advise you to get one until you have a lot of experience with the bigger birds haha!

What parrots do you have?
catalinadee is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
 
Jenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,838
Thanks: 194
Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 44
                     
Send a message via AIM to Jenny
I have a severe macaw, a pionus, 2 lineolated parakeets, 2 parrotlets, and a crotchety middle aged tiel I've owned birds all my life and have seriously started working with birds in the past... 8 years? I've worked with big to small, day old love birds to a cranky breeding hyacinth needing a beak trim They're so much fun to work with and keep

It's funny to imagine a red tailed or red shouldered as expensive... there are so many down here!! I see them all the time hanging about on power lines looking down at the equestrian fields Ospreys are also a dime a dozen, but I've never really heard of anyone flying them



Jenny is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 5,750
Thanks: 734
Thanked 474 Times in 379 Posts
Rep Power: 42
                     
Hello, welcome, I'm new to this particular forum as well. Hope to see you around!



Abby is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 AM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I have a severe macaw, a pionus, 2 lineolated parakeets, 2 parrotlets, and a crotchety middle aged tiel I've owned birds all my life and have seriously started working with birds in the past... 8 years? I've worked with big to small, day old love birds to a cranky breeding hyacinth needing a beak trim They're so much fun to work with and keep

It's funny to imagine a red tailed or red shouldered as expensive... there are so many down here!! I see them all the time hanging about on power lines looking down at the equestrian fields Ospreys are also a dime a dozen, but I've never really heard of anyone flying them
Awh that's really awesome! I love severe macaws and I have to admit parrotlets are probably the cutest things on this planet hehe! You have some really nice species haha! I've owned birds since I was very tiny too haha. I always used to love them and my first bird when I was a few years old was a grumpy tiel too haha.

The osprey is pretty much like gone from this country and I don't know anybody that flies them haha. Over here a red tail costs around 300 to 400 haha.

At the moment I've only got red-fronted kakarikis but next year we're hopefully going to adopt a new addition haha.

Oh gosh I've worked with everything but perhaps my favourite bird is either my Harris' hawk Chalkie or a bare-eyed cockatoo I worked with called Eddie. I luckily got to flight train him and he was just wonderful haha. I also help friends and stuff who have various parrot problems like not stepping up and stuff.

I used to breed various little parrots and stuff and I recently had some quakers (breeding pair haha!)
catalinadee is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear View Post
Hello, welcome, I'm new to this particular forum as well. Hope to see you around!
Hey I think I commented not that long ago on your introduction.
Hope to hear from you and your birds soon!
catalinadee is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM
 
Jenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 3,838
Thanks: 194
Thanked 130 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 44
                     
Send a message via AIM to Jenny
Aww, I've always had a soft spot for Bare-Eyed toos I worked with one who was super shy at the pet shop and had been there for a year. I won her over and won her trust, and she was able to find a happy home Quakers are a lot of fun too, but man they can be nasty! My friend has a cage of breeding quakers, since they colony breed, and I swear, trying to get their food dish out is like watching a pack of dinosaurs hunt! I'll distract them, then one will break away to distract ME while another sneaks around and latches on to my arm! naughty birds!



Jenny is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter



 
catalinadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17,637
Thanks: 1,593
Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,575 Posts
Rep Power: 99
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Aww, I've always had a soft spot for Bare-Eyed toos I worked with one who was super shy at the pet shop and had been there for a year. I won her over and won her trust, and she was able to find a happy home Quakers are a lot of fun too, but man they can be nasty! My friend has a cage of breeding quakers, since they colony breed, and I swear, trying to get their food dish out is like watching a pack of dinosaurs hunt! I'll distract them, then one will break away to distract ME while another sneaks around and latches on to my arm! naughty birds!
Ahaha believe me, the quakers are an actual living nightmare. They're probably one of the most lovely hand reared birds you can get but when wild and in an aviary they're horrid. They bite and scratch and the screaming!! Oh my god! Haha.

Bare-eyed 'toos are actually lovely. He was a real cuddly little thing and all he did was like shy away from everybody until I started feeding him through the bars and stuff. Not long after that all he wanted to do was play. I love all 'toos to be honest but when you've had a bite off them you realise how careful you have to be haha. I've never known bites like it. I got bit by a msc cockatoo not that long ago and he only just caught me but man it hurt A LOT. An umbrella I used to do a lot with got a bit p*ssed off with me and she ended up biting me real hard haha.
WORST PAIN EVER XD
I'd much rather have a hawk talon in my arm than a 'toos beak
catalinadee is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Talk Parrots Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome