Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Other birds/wild birds

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  katew 
#1 ·
Since there isn't a forum for other and wild birds, I thought I'd post it here.

So, how about the first question!
What's your favourite bird, other than your pets?

Me, personally? I think it'd have to be the corvids (crows, jays, magpies and ravens). They're so cute and personable!

#5 ·
I love the Corvids. I work with a fantastic raven called Spike. Every time you walk past him to pick up the other birds he tilts his head and goes 'awighht Shpike' haha! I also love mousebirds, toucans and aracaris, turacos, errrrm... Hmmm... I really like pigeons and doves too. And peacocks!

#6 ·
My sister has a Magpie that was a wildlife rescue animal and when released back to the wild has refused to go!
The thing is as mad as a hatter! has worked out how to use the doggy door and help itself to the treats also confuses the heck out of their dog by barking back at the poor thing.
And the way it talks to my sister is hilarious!

:lol2:

Reactions: Osprey
#7 ·
We had two magpies many many years ago. They are mad! We released them eventually. They stole our neighbours jewellery. They just stayed in the garden and came into the house whenever they wanted

#9 ·
would have to say red tailed hawk, turkey vulture, and short eared owl would be favourites :)

#10 ·
Owls are so hard to find, I know I would love to have them around the place! I think they are amazing!
I also used to love taking drives up into the hills and keeping an eye out for raptors, Hawks/Eagles. Often I would drive for a few hours in the old Dodge until I found a good look out spot way out and away from the main drag and just wait, often I would sketch and draw while I waited. Found it so calming.

Oh, this is my old Dodge!

Attachments

#12 ·
I love crows they are so neat, I also like grackles because no one else does. We had 3 owls hanging around that were really nice to listen to but they didn't come back thid year.

#16 ·
Haha too true!

I like grackles. When I go to Fl I see a lot of them and when I was at gatorland I got some food for the gators but the birds wanted in too. I ended up having one sitting on me and every time I through food it caught it. Somebody asked if I was staff haha. It was all fun and games till a wood stork bit the back of my legs. That's an odd scar haha

Reactions: Osprey
#18 ·
I love Jarod Miller! He's funny!

He shows all kinds of animals, including Andean condor, hyacinth macaw, king vulture, screech owl (don't know what kind), great horned owl and others.

He actually held a hyacinth hanging from its beak. Crazy, that's a strong-beaked bird!

He showed a southern cassowary JUMPING! That's weird!

This Andean condor was so cool! He actually had a trainer. I feel bad for the ones at the Oklahoma City Zoo... they're stuck in this small cage, without much stimulation. :<

#19 ·
I love wild finches, chaffinch, hawfinch, bullfinch, blue tit, great tit.
They brighten up my garden.
We have a beautiful woodpecker come down and eat the ants out of the lawn.
And the sparrows, the noise, I think they brighten my day.
:biggrin5:

#20 ·
Sparrows and Indian Minors (sp) drive me nuts!

But when the local parrot varieties come visiting I'm in 7th heaven! Here we are so lucky with the way I have maintained my yard so that it is inviting to the locals, though it's getting harder as the big gum trees are suffering due to the earlier drought and now the heavy rains and severe storms recently.

Some of the species we manage to get are Rosella's, Rainbow Lorries, Sulphur crested, Corella's, Galah's and some of the rarer and endangered and more beautiful birds. Grass parrots, Red Tailed (so beautiful and LOUD) so friendly, and GangGang's!

I could honestly give up the rat race in it's entirety just to spend time with these amazing birds.

#21 ·
Sparrows and Indian Minors (sp) drive me nuts!

But when the local parrot varieties come visiting I'm in 7th heaven! Here we are so lucky with the way I have maintained my yard so that it is inviting to the locals, though it's getting harder as the big gum trees are suffering due to the earlier drought and now the heavy rains and severe storms recently.

Some of the species we manage to get are Rosella's, Rainbow Lorries, Sulphur crested, Corella's, Galah's and some of the rarer and endangered and more beautiful birds. Grass parrots, Red Tailed (so beautiful and LOUD) so friendly, and GangGang's!

I could honestly give up the rat race in it's entirety just to spend time with these amazing birds.

Jealous!!!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.