Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The AWFUL ringing of a bird

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  catalinadee 
#1 ·
Okay so my new Indian ringneck, Echo, has just been bought home. I wasn't able to see her properly in the cage when I got her but she looked fit and healthy with no issues other than being scared.

On further examination, when I grabbed her with a towel to do a health check I noticed she yelped when I touched her foot. I thought, that's odd? So I pulled her leg out to check and THIS is what we found

The ring hadn't been coiled all the way around and was sticking out a LOT, which could cause damage anyways. Then her foot was so swollen it looked like it was going to POP! All I thought was, how on earth could an animal live in that much pain. Apparently the store has a vet on site who checks the animals before they can sell them and all animals are sold with a good bill of health. Well. How they could of missed this I do not know :mad: the ring only said '5' on it, but it was blue, so 2011.

We then saw this

Her talon was snapped in half it appears. Poor girl.

We got the ring off...

Look how much it dug in and how swollen it was!!!

There's some puss on the ring

I'm going back in that store, and I'm going to tell them exactly what is wrong. The photos are my evidence because I certainly am not putting her through the stress of going back there. She is mine now. And she's much happier now that thing is off. Her foot is hurting now, but not as much. She can climb with it and stuff but after about 5 minutes she tucks it up out of the way. Other than that she's great. But that really is not what anybody or bird should have to deal with.

It's outragous

(PS. My nail polish is awful but I couldn't care less, I wasn't gunna paint my nails THEN remove it :rolleyes:)

See less See more
#6 ·
Thank you all! The pepper is on my todo list but at the moment she's having a real freak out. I've had to move everybody around to make room for her. The lovies are in a cage I use to wean the babies in, the conures are in the lovies cage and she's in the conures cage. As soon as my triple cage comes I will move them but for the time being they're all quite happy. I have a lot to buy at the moment though and it's all driving me mad, gotta get that and I gotta get the cage for the budgies. Eeeek. But I shall do it!

And I didn't know you had to buy them back. I only paid 75 for her but still. I can't afford to pay it again. I didn't even have the money to buy her now but when somebody tipped me off that she was there I couldn't let her stay there. And then THIS! Erugh

#7 ·
Holy Eff, thats so bad!!! Ive seen some pretty bad rings, but that tops it. I would definitely go back there and tell them about what happened. I ended up with two guinea pigs from the store I used to work at because they were considered dangerous to the public ;Sharkane was a convicted guinea pig attacker, ripping flesh, and from humans and Rosie was returned, but I dont really understand why, so sweet!! But discovered she had Cancer.. But yeah, people need to know what they are doing with birds to prevent something like that.

#9 ·
That's disgusting :( I've never seen a leg so bad before

#12 ·
RSPCA report.
you have evidence.:thumbsup:
pet shops have to adhere to strict laws.
My one showed me the list.
everyone in there is handled, cleaned out, and checked daily.
including the bunnies, gunea pigs and smaller furries.
birds, reptiles and arachinids!:yikes:

#13 ·
Well, these sure aren't! I'm starting to think she may be WC

#15 ·
I think so. I will try and get them involved. I'm just glad she's home now. She's a lot happier. She's been preening, eating and drinking, which she definitely didn't do in the shop. She couldn't even perch!

#20 ·
Good thinking. Yeah I will see what I can do.

Thanks Jenny. I'm shocked too! I was expecting the worse

#21 ·
That is awful Daisy. Probably the worst band I have ever seen on a bird.

I remember when I got a pair of Alex's, the guy was not going to breed them anymore so was selling them. He warned me that the hen would not sit on her eggs properly and if she hatched them out would only look after the babies for a few days. When I got them out of the carry cage and into a larger cage I noticed a large scab on her leg. Then I noticed that the Stainless Steel ring on her leg was sliding up and down her leg up over the joint. No wonder she did not want to sit properly as everytime she entered or left the nest the ring must have been sliding and giving her hell.

Stainless steel rings are nearly impossible to get off, but luckily this was a split ring. One of our Avian Vets was coming locally to do some surgical sexing of birds and I took her round. We had to put her under anaesthetic and I held her leg out while he got 2 pairs of fine nosed pliers to pry the ring apart enough to get the ring off. And believe me it was not easy, we did not think we were going to get it off without injury. But we did get it open far enough to get it of the leg. Poor girl when she regained conciousness the look of relief on her face was just amazing.

She went on to breed again but this time she was a wonderful mother giving me no problems sitting on her eggs and raising her babies up till 3 weeks when I took them for hand raising.

#23 ·
Wow Kate that sounds awful! That poor girl must of been hurting. I've never tried to get a closed ring off, especially one digging in. I don't want to be in that situation. What I don't get was why Echo's ring just said '5' on it. Nothing else. It was also one you wrap around. She wasn't eating in the store and her leg was yellow but now she is filling out again and her foot is going down. She's been stuffing her face and had such a long drink!

#24 ·
The Alex was lucky that it was not a closed ring but a split stainless ring, but the are so much tougher than aluminium and the ring was actually too big as it kept sliding up over the elbow joint but not big enough to come off. It was when it went over the elbow that it was causing problems as it would tighten then on the thicker part of the leg.

So glad that Echo is now eating well and the pain seems to be gone. That ring looked like a pigeon type of ring and not one for parrots. What a strange useless type of ring.

#27 ·
Thank you all. I've never seen a coiled ring before, it seems it would be impossible to get on without causing pain. When I took it off her and he was wrapped in a towel she screamed. ( sounded like a macaw! ) as soon as it came off she just looked happy. Content more than anything and she just looked at me. IRN have a smile. It's so cute. Her foot isn't swollen anymore. She ate so much last night but she's eaten nothing but sunflower out of her mix funnily enough. She likes to hide at the back of her cage but she does come to the front to eat and climb etc. she doesn't fly away now surprisingly. Yesterday if I went anywhere near her she would zoom around the cage. Then I learnt it was the eye contact. I could stand close to the cage and not look at her and she would be content but if you stare she really flips out. I'm glad I've got her. And although I didn't tell the family until later on on the day they did feel her sympathy and have welcomed her here. I don't know if I'm ever going to try and work with her. I just open her cage and let her do her thing. I don't want to clip her. She's so beautiful when she flies and so much bigger than I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.