Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What would be your dream flock?

11K views 71 replies 31 participants last post by  nanay 
#1 · (Edited)
I am interested to know what would be everyones dream flock. As in, what birds they would looove to have someday but can't at the moment or at all.

I wish I could have all the parrots, but my these are my favourites, so mine would be.....

*My MB conure Ziggy
*Bentley my budgie

*A buddy for Bentley (a female violet goldenface)
*A breeding pair of hyacinth macaws (very unrealistic!)
*2 palm cockatoos
*An aviary full of golden conures :lovehearts:

*DEFINITELY an african grey (inside bird)
*and a breeding pair of amazons because they're quite uncommon in NZ
*Maybe I'd have one of the macaw's babies.
*I also love white bellied caiques.....

Okay, I would love more but I'd have to spread the care and attention around so I can't have too many, although, I probably already would have if I had all the ones on this list!

So what do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
One of EVERYTHING! :rofl: Realistically, I would love to add a Cape Parrot and an African Grey. I want a mate for Moose, preferably a WF Cinnamon Pearl, and I want to breed my linnies... maybe get another pair of them... all depends on how much space the boy will give me when we settle down :giggle:

#3 ·
Make it part of the wedding vows, Jenny!

I need a female Bourke so I can have a pair, and try breeding. I'd like a Caique, an African Grey,...oh, and a Blue Crowned Conure...and a Meyers would be nice...:eek:

#4 ·
These are only a few...
*A friend for my diamond dove
*Vanity
*Sammy & Mitsy + two males :p

Caiques - Two :giggle:
Indian Ringneck Parakeets - One/Two

Severe/Illigers/Hahns Mini Macaw - Two

African Grey - Two

Thats it for now.. :rofl:

#7 ·
I'd have...
~Macy and Finn
~Rista
~Briar

~at least 2 more budgies, preferably another pair and I'd like to breed them eventually
~CAG or TAG
~possibly some sort of macaw, a B&G maybe or a hyacinth
~2 tiel's -both whiteface, maybe one cinnomon
~maybe a golden conure :)
~definately an IRN
~and last but not least a RB2 or a corella

of course most of these will never happen :p and I know that whatever bird I get next will choose me :) (but I hope it'll be an african grey :p)

#9 ·
My dream flock:
4 Budgies,2 Cockatiels,2 Sun Conures,2 Green Cheek Conures ,2 Patagonian Conures,2 Cactus Conures, 2 Hahn's Macaws, 2 IRNS, 2 TAGS, and 2 CAGS, 2 Kakarikis, 2 Rosellas, 2 Cape Parrots,2 Senegals, and you know what, just any psittacine bird species, I'll take it.

#11 ·
I love my current four, and never thought I would have this many.
I have a rosey bourkes, a male splendid, a cobalt linnie, and a senegal.

My absolute dream bird would be a female eclectus. However, I am afraid I may not be a good owner for a bird that large. If I knew for sure I could handle one, that is what I would get.

I would alternately get an African grey if I thought I could tolerate the dust, but I am afraid I could not. They don't bother me when I am with them at the bird store, but I am still afraid to try it. Cockatoos DO bother me, most definitely, so I'm afraid to try with a grey.

I also adore lorys, but, again, I know that I cannot tolerate their powdery feed.

I really like rosifrons conures, crimson bellied conures, cape parrots (or uncape as the case may be), quakers, princess of wales parakeets, illiger's macaws, meyers, and Alexandrine ring necks, but there is no way I would want one of each.

I am quite tempted to add one or even two more birds, but which of the above I would actually choose, I can not say. I think one of the conures would probably fit my home and me best.

The other bird I really would like to have, but there is no way I could ever get one, is a violet mutation splendid parakeet. They are not even bred in this country as far as I know, but they certainly are beautiful.

#15 ·
The other bird I really would like to have, but there is no way I could ever get one, is a violet mutation splendid parakeet. They are not even bred in this country as far as I know, but they certainly are beautiful.
I would love to get some mutation Splendids. There are not many people who have them here though, and the only one I found online so far does not ship (and lives in Texas I think), so I don't think that will happen for a while. Probably best that way!

#12 ·
I absolutely love blue fronted amazons, but amazons can be very difficult birds to care for so I doubt I would have one.

In addition to my current two, I would love 4 more parrotlets: a blue, american white/blue dilute, blue pied and green pied. I would also love a yellow sided conure

#16 ·
Well, Jen, when you find splendid mutation breeders in the US, let me know, too.

You know, Indiana isn't so far from Michigan that we could not make a road trip together to get some beautiful mutation splendids. I have a hybird and get 50 mpg on the highway. lol

#18 ·
LOL, ship one over to NZ, won't you?

I just looked them up and they are stunning! Too bad mutations of most parrots aren't common over here :(

Otherwise, I might breed them! Then I'd have LOTS of splendids! Mwahaha!

#20 · (Edited)
Ella,
Actually, the normal colored splendids are stunningly beautiful, perhaps more beautiful than any of their mutation varieties. Are normal splendids available in New Zealand?

Apple,
I love the way you prefaced your comments with the fact that you have your dream flock.

#21 ·
Ella,
Actually, the normal colored splendids are stunningly beautiful, perhaps more beautiful than any of their mutation varieties. Are normal splendids available in New Zealand?
Yes, they are available. And you're right, the normals are very beautiful.

I'd love to look into getting one. They seem like very sweet, calm parrots.

#22 · (Edited)
Realistically speaking, my ideal flock would be my Pickle and a lineolated parakeet :)

However, my dream parrot is the half-moon conure. I'd get an HMC today but as an apartment dweller, I worry about the possibility of noise issues :(

I'd REALLY like to have is a grey-cheeked parakeet and/or a rose-crowned conure but neither is well established in US aviculture at this point. Maybe one day...

Of course, if time/space/finances allowed, I'd love to have a DuCorps cockatoo, a black-palm cockatoo or a hyacinth macaw. I don't see that happening, at least not for a LOOOOOONG time.

#26 ·
I played with the sweetest big bird I've ever handled in my local bird store today, a 12 year old Maximillian pionus. It is a good thing I can't afford a new bird now. :p

#27 ·
I just reread this thread and realized I did not even list a dusky pionus, or any pionus, among the birds that might be part of my "dream flock" when I first responded to this thread. Now that is all I can think about when it comes to birds, lol.

My daughter really wants a cockatiel, and I do love them. When my son had a cockatiel years ago I did not think I had any problems with it, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am bothered by cockatoos. I can be in the bird store, and they always have at least one, but usually two cockatoos. If they are in their cages, I have no problem, but any time an owner brings one in for a grooming, by the time the bird is groomed I am feeling tight in the chest. I also have that reaction whenver they have a cockatoo out on a play stand. I don't quite understand why having one out on a playstand is different from having them in their cages, because I can walk right past the cages and notice nothing.

Nevertheless, cockatiels do not affect me this way in the store. I can sit for a very long time right next to someone who has a cockatiel. They can groom multiple cockatiels. I can also hold them without that tightness developing at all.

Does anyone know if cockatoo dust is in some way different from cockatiel dust? It doesn't seem logical that it would be, yet my reaction is totally different.

Actually, strange as this may sound, I think the only bird that I would really have to call an "out of reach" bird for me, even though I want one, would be a cockatiel. I have no desire to have a cockatoo, so it is not a problem that their dust bothers me, but I would love to have a female cockatiel with a lot of yellow on it, the more yellow the better.

#29 ·
Like the Brute Squad, we now have our pionus, too. A Maximillian instead of a dusky, but she is great. In her own way, she is also very beautiful, but it is subtle.
I STILL need another bird for myself, lol. No idea what it will be. I love this Maximillian, but I have no idea if I will want a second pionus or not. My daughter did give me the splendid when I told her she could have the maxi, but I still want one more bird that will be mine even after the kids are gone.
I love Roni, my senegal. She gets more pleasant each day. I have heard that capes are very gentle even though they are huge, but I am afraid that a bird that large might be too much for me. I wonder how similar to senegals they are. I also wonder about jardines. I'm looking at them, but if they are unpredictable they would be too large for me. I've been fine with Roni's moods so far, but I do not know that I would have been had she been that large.
Alexandrine ringnecks still fascinate me. I've heard very good things about them.
Crimson bellied conures also seem like a good match.
So, well, I got the maxi knowing that I still wanted another bird for myself, but it will have to be a while yet, which is much of the fun.
I held a cockatiel for quite a while when we visited the maximillian the other day, but the verdict is still not in on whether or not I would be allergic to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.