Talk Parrots Forums

Talk Parrots Forums (https://www.talkparrots.com/forum.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.talkparrots.com/6-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Not new, but have been MIA (https://www.talkparrots.com/6-new-member-introductions/6812-not-new-but-have-been-mia.html)

Jake 02-16-2013 07:57 PM

Not new, but have been MIA

Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here in several months, I've been busy with school and other things. Oliver and I are still going great! He's a handful but I love him. He's a year old now, it doesn't seem like it though. I've realized that having a pet parrot is very challenging and it's great to have friends who know what you're going through. It's about to get very hard because I want to start (well I have always wanted to) training Oliver! He know how to step up and he is target trained but I want him to know much more. My struggle right now is getting him used to his flight harness. It's great to be back, and I hope to learn a lot while I'm here!

Lovebirdlover 02-16-2013 10:19 PM

Welcome back!!

catalinadee 02-17-2013 03:00 AM

Heya, welcome back! I can't believe he's a year old now :yikes: time goes so fast huh? What sort of things did you want to train him? I'd of started harness training while he was still very, very young just to be sure but I am positive you will be fine getting one on him. There is a CAG on here called Dusty and he is harness trained :)

Jake 02-17-2013 06:45 AM

I'd like to teach him to wave, turn around, flight recall, show his wings, and other things. I have introduce the harness to him; he is not afraid of it, but curious. He wants to chew on it and I have to find a way to stop this behavior. I think that he just isn't focused on training. I may need to tech a few tricks before I can get him fully harness trained.

Abby 02-17-2013 10:14 AM

Welcome back! Can we see some pictures?
And reminds me of my dog, Samantha. She'll chew on all her leashes.

katew 02-18-2013 03:20 PM

Welcome back.
Something that might interest you.
There's a lady who writes a column about her grey called Cosmo in parrots mag.
Really interesting.
Is he talking.
With tricks just persevere.
Try making training more fun.
Focus on something he loves doing.
Click and reward for that, so he knows how it is when you're happy with him.
Good luck.

Luthien 02-18-2013 04:56 PM

Welcome back! With the harness just take it slow, he is going to be curious and want to bite at it. Tell him no and correct him every time!