Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1 day old chick

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  allen 
#1 ·
ok yum yum and shadow laid 4 eggs after each egg hatched i noticed with the first 3 they were not feeding them and the 3 died so with the last one i noticed the same thing so i have been hand feeding it evey hour when they are this young you have to feed them every hour for 5 days i am mixing 1 part formula to 7 parts hot water acording to directions for newly hatched chicks

#6 ·
The best method of learning how to hand-feed a parrot is with an experienced breeder by your side. I also understand that not everyone has that luxury, so here are some of the more important points of the process. The parrot’s body contains something called “the crop.” While it may sound like what your local farmer harvests, in parrots, the crop is a food-storage mechanism that Mother Nature built in to these birds. Birds possess a fast metabolism. If it weren’t for their crop, they would need to eat every few hours. The crop, by the way, is simply a bag of skin surrounded by muscles. As you travel up this bag, about two-thirds of the way you’ll encounter the opening to the stomach, the esophagus. When the stomach is empty and ready for more food, the muscles of the crop contract and pushes the food into the esophagus.

#7 ·
yes i no well about breeding i have my own aviary i have hand fed a 7 day old chick and when i saw that this chick was not being fed i researched right away how much and how often in fact she has gained 3 grams in one day she is not refusing the food she takes it very well

#12 ·
ok i have some good news for you all during this time i have been leaving tiny in the box with mom and mom kept keeping her warm well last night my power went out so when i woke i thought shoot i hope she is ok so i checked and low behold she was full mom has started to feed her

#14 ·
Great news! Has something like that happened to you previously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.