Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a lovebird who is about 4 months old. He loves to give kisses and go on your shoulder. But trying to get him to step up on your finger all he does is try to attack and bite. He flies up on the curtains and the only way to get him down is throwing a towel over him. I feel bad and I feel like he's going to get traumatized by it even more. I want to clicker train him but he doesn't like any type of treats and I'm not sure how to go about training him not to bite. Please help!!

·
Administrator
6,886 Posts
Hi and Welcome to Talk Parrots, lovies are well known for being chompy when they are young. When he sits on your hand and starts to try and bite, just wiggle or twist your hand that he's perched on very slightly. This motion will make him unbalanced for a split second and he will stop biting to make himself sit properly on your hand.

Don't react verbally. Don't say OUCH loudly or tell him to STOP loudly. Don't let him nibble or play with your fingers .. show him you are in charge. When he's not biting you and is actually behaving while you play or touch him, give him tons of happy excited praise with your voice.

He will love hearing the change and excitement in your voice and want to hear more of it so he will start to do good things to get that excited talk from you again. This won't happen overnight, it takes days and nights of interaction with your bird but start slow and do this several times a day to start to train him and let him know its fun to be with you on your hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and Welcome to Talk Parrots, lovies are well known for being chompy when they are young. When he sits on your hand and starts to try and bite, just wiggle or twist your hand that he's perched on very slightly. This motion will make him unbalanced for a split second and he will stop biting to make himself sit properly on your hand.

Don't react verbally. Don't say OUCH loudly or tell him to STOP loudly. Don't let him nibble or play with your fingers .. show him you are in charge. When he's not biting you and is actually behaving while you play or touch him, give him tons of happy excited praise with your voice.

He will love hearing the change and excitement in your voice and want to hear more of it so he will start to do good things to get that excited talk from you again. This won't happen overnight, it takes days and nights of interaction with your bird but start slow and do this several times a day to start to train him and let him know its fun to be with you on your hand.

Thank you for the advice!!! What should I do when he doesn't want to sit on my hand at all and just tries to bite?

·
Administrator
6,886 Posts
Thank you for the advice!!! What should I do when he doesn't want to sit on my hand at all and just tries to bite?
He's a new bird adjusting to you in a new home, he's nervous about you and everything in your home right now so you have to take it slow. He will bite to show you he doesn't want to step up and sit on your hand. This is totally expected from any newly homed bird. I wouldn't let him out of the cage until you have gotten him more use to you, when you were trying to get him down to get him back in the cage and off the curtain rod you frightened him which is a main reason he will bite you.

You need to start all over again and start to train him inside the cage.

Try every food you can possibly imagine he might want to eat and bribe him to come to you, show him the food and give him a little while he's in the cage. If he really likes it then offer it often but only when you are trying to train and interact with him, if he wants that food he will start to come to you and want more so you can then slowly place your hand inside the cage so you may gently place your finger against his belly near his feet and he will step up while he munches the food. He can't bite you and eat at the same time.

Go slow ... win his trust again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts