Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A few photos of my Bourke and Scarlet Chested Keets

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  nicky 
#1 ·
I took a few new photos of my "keets" this past weekend. Here is Twitter, my Rosy Bourke female, who likes to fly over to me when I'm watching TV. She's become quite tame and is fairly bonded to me - though she is fully-flighted and comes and goes as she pleases.

And here is my yet-unnamed Scarlet Chested Parakeet. He's fairly tame (he was hand-raised) and is gradually getting friendlier. He'll sit on my arm or finger for a while - or until Twitter chases him off - and he's actually flown to me a few times now. He's quiet steady and not very flighty, despite never having been clipped. He will step up on my finger if he is perched - but if he is on the floor, he usually walks or runs away still. He's still sort of an ugly duckling - I can't wait to see his mature coloration in a few months.

See less See more
#3 ·
My only complaint

My only complaint with my Bourke is she is a little aggressive towards the Scarlet Chested. I'm trying to make friends with him - and still let her be out of the cage too - but she chases him away almost every time. I'm hoping he gets bolder with time!

Otherwise, I really like my Bourke - she is very friendly and a little character.

#4 ·
There may be a little jealousy there...

Kirby is very docile, and I don't allow the other birds that I have to interact with him, without close supervision. I don't think he would fight back if attacked...

#5 ·
Males vs Female Bourke personalities

I've heard that male bourkes are more mild-mannered. I plan to possibly get a male later this spring so maybe he will be friendlier towards the Scarlet Chested?

#7 ·
Beautiful pictures. Beautiful birds. Aren't their vocalizations great, too?

I wish Isaac had half as much color as your bird. (He isn't named yet, right? Sorry if I missed his name.) I'm glad yours is steady.

#11 ·
I think it's just a female keet thing. Even my female Splendid was bossy and obnoxious to my male when I got him. It has taken several months but she finally accepts him sitting on the same perch within a couple inches of her. She used to shove him off!

Can't wait to see your Splendid boy all decked out in his adult feathers. They really are amazingly beautiful birds. I just love mine!!

#12 · (Edited)
Female keet thing...

I was also wondering if Twitter's behavior towards my Scarlet was just a female keet thing too. She really won't tolerate him in her cage for 2 seconds. He flies in by accident sometime - and she gets him right out - and he gets right out. I feel bad though, like he wants to be friends and she won't hear of it. She also chases him off my arm like that.

But I have seen them foraging peacefully on the floor a few times now and I am hoping that can continue. I guess letting them out together (under supervision) helps for them to settle things between themselves. But I do wonder if the Scarlet Chested, being smaller, will always be more timid and "on the receiving end" from Twitter.

#13 ·
My scarlet chested can hold his own with my bourkes. He is the youngest and came last. They sometimes bicker, but they never really fight. They can live in the same cage, and on occasion they do. I'm getting another cage soon they they won't have to, but they actually are fine when they do.

We were told the scarlet chested is a male, but he is not even beginning to show that first sign of molting into male colors, and he is now six months old. The people at the bird store looked at him again a couple of weeks ago. At first they said they must have been wrong, and he must really be a girl, but then they looked for a place where the females have little bars, and they said he still doesn't have those so they think he is just a male who will molt into his male colors at a later age. They said if he doesn't change by a year, then he must be a she, but they really think he is a male.

He makes beautiful vocalizations, much of the day. They consider this another indication that he is a male.

However, if my splendid is actually a female, then that might give credence to the idea that perhaps the females are bossier than the males. (Although Stanley could very well be a female, perhaps, too.)

Both of my birds vocalize a lot. Both say a very few words. Both imitate my linnie, too, and the splendid actually does a pretty remarkable imitation of the senegal, but without the piercing quality. The store personnel also think that the fact that they vocalize like this indicates that they are, in deed, both males.

I don't blame Twitter for keeping that strange male away from her cage. He could mess up her peaceful abode.

#14 ·
Nanay I think yours is a boy yet as well. My female does chirp little songs but they are not near the variety of sounds and such that my male makes. He has very specific tastes in music as well. If I hear him singing to music I have playing on my computer, it is almost always Jeremy Camp singing it. lol. Meeps on the other hand likes Taylor Swift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.