Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A new bird

4K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  catalinadee 
#1 ·
We went shopping yesterday intending on getting some new cage cleaner, food and toys for the birdies.
We went to two different stores getting our bits and bobs.
We then saw this really cute little lovebird and said that we wanted it. We asked if we could have it and the person said "not now because it's bonded with another, but there is a peach-face in with a fischers" so we had a look at that one and it didn't look in the greatest condition.
We were a little bit let down with that.
We walked around the other side of the pod (a large room with cages around the outside that can be seen through glass) and noticed a little green bird on the floor with a red splodge on his head.
Another red-fronted kakariki and a cinnamon one at that.
We signed the papers, handed over the money and took the bird home.
We put him in a cage with Chewee our other red-front.
Chewee seems to get along with just about any bird BUT kakariki.
Ralph (the new bird) just seemed to avoid him and the others and we didn't think much of it. He then sat next to Chewee and Chewee was not pleased and knocked him off the perch.
It was too dark outside to introduce Ralph to the outdoor birds so we kept him in a separate cage for the night.
This morning we let him loose in the aviary and he seemed fine. The other birds don't mind him.

I find that so odd with Chewee, I thought he'd hate the budgies but he lets them crawl all over him and he preens them haha!

But anyways, my point is I can't go out without bringing a kakariki home :lol:

I've got some crappy phone pictures but tomorrow I'll make sure my camera is all good and take some better ones of him and the other birdies!

The first pic is Chewee with the two 'keets
The second is Ralph sat on the shelf haha
The third is a really bad picture of Ralph up close... thanks blackberry for your brilliant camera :rolleyes:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hehe thankyou! Sorry about the awful pictures though haha

#7 ·
Thanks Jenny :biggrin5: Just out of curiosity, I can't tell what Kaiko is, is it a parrotlet? On the pic it looks a bit like a Linnie is all. Confused :lol:

#24 ·
She's a SF dilute turquoise linnie - that means she's a single factor dilute. With linnies, the single factor dilute females show as a double factor, but only carry a single dilute gene. Only males can carry the double dilute gene, if I have my linnie genetics right :giggle:

#8 ·
Ralph is cute. Is there any chance Chewee will learn to like him?

#9 ·
I doubt it. Chewee seems to be really aggressive towards other kakariki. I don't know why. He just doesn't seem to like them around. He loves the finches, the budgies and anything else, but he wont tolerate another kakariki :( Luckily the others don't mind Ralph haha! And thankyou he is pretty adorable

#14 ·
I do it too often! It was that or there was a gorgeous pair of fawn Java sparrows

#16 ·
Erm various places. I used to get a lot from this place called West Hagley Aviaries but some big company took it over and knocked it down because the owners were old :mad: I loved it there, they had so much and it was only around the corner.
Now it's anywhere that I see good conditions :p

#18 ·
I would too. They have hyacinths D; does anybody know where you can get them from in the UK XD?

#20 ·
I have no idea as I've never actual seen one, I can imagine they're pricey. I've looked into shipping overseas so perhaps some day I can have one :)

#22 ·
I know but I've seen them even more than that too. I love the black 'toos but damn they're REALLY pricey haha

#25 ·
Ohhh! It's just looking in your siggy she looks like a parrotlet hehe :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.