Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... So I MAY be taking on a pair of cockatiels..
I was at a..relative's house and they have a pair of cockatiels. The birds were given to them a couple of years ago. One is a female cinnamon pied and the other a male pied. They aren't very hand tame anymore, but the female showed interest when I talked to them and the male came right up to the bars and was "talking" to me (we went back and forth with the cat call whistle!). I felt so bad for them. Only God knows the last time their cage was cleaned - seed and such was so built up on the bottom that you couldn't see the grate on one side. And the cage is small for a pair of 'teils. In fact, I know many would consider it small for a single budgie, and my little parrotlet has a castle compared to them! They have only 2 perches and 3 VERY worn and old toys. I gave them fresh water and when I scrubbed my finger along the sides, it felt slick.. They only eat seeds - no fresh stuff, no pellets. When I suggested getting new toys and a couple more perches, I was told they were leaving the next day. They are supposed to be going with a single man who lives in an appartment.. As they know they are just being ignored.. They seem healthy - although the female has some plucked feathers on her chest by her neck..but barely noticable. Eyes bright, beautiful feathers, nice feet, dry vent.. I lost a 'tiel last year to egg binding - but I was gone and my husband didn't know she was sick - I'm the knowledgable one, not him. I wish they realized that they had potentially wonderful pets there.. I love birds - all birds whether wild or domestic.
I just hope that if this guy takes them that he cares for them. I'm the back up plan since this other person was offered them first. And I don't know if I would even be keeping them or just fostering them until a suitable home is found. If I do get them, first thing I'd do is take them to the vet.
As a few of you may know, I plan to get a conure in the near future..This will be my 2nd and(supposed to be) last bird. I was surprised my hubby gave permission for the conure! (haha..I have my ways - take him to a store and let him witness the irresistible charm!) So I'm not sure if he will let me keep them for good...unless I get him to fall in love with them...;)
Sorry about my novel going here..Just worried about the little guys..

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I hope they find a great home whether it be with you or someone else. If you take them, will your husband say no conure?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more about having the space to have 3 seperate cages than anything else. But I can think of ways to fix that too(just need to rearrange some furniture)!;) When there's a will, there's a way - right? My husband does understand how I feel. No animal deserves to be ignored or mistreated. When you bring a pet into your home, you are responsible for it's health and happiness. That's how I feel, anyways..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awwww, poor little things!!! I hate to hear of animals being neglected. Breaks my heart. I do hope everything works out well, and soon!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did get the cockatiels and they are nervous, but sweet. I may be rehoming them if the interested person can meet some criteria first. I love cockatiels, but it's about these guys having a loving forever home and being taken care of the way they deserve. I have the means to care for them, but it doesn't matter to me if I have them or someone else does - as long as they are loved and cared for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.