Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my B&G macaw whom is bonded to me for over 25 years was moved to a dream aviary with all the purching, toys, vines a macaw can dream of. A large 15ft feeding deck with a pond is on the 3rd floor.

We recently introduced our young Harlequin macaw 1 year old to the Aviary ehere he is treating himself to some flying. The BIG issue is my B&G is attacking him when ever possible.

Can anyone give me some advise if they will ever be at peace, or will my bonded B&G keep chasing him over 50ft away all day?.
Water Plant Wood Glass Leisure

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hm. How long has your Harlequin been living there? And have these two had any history which have resulted in fighting before being moved to the aviary?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm. How long has your Harlequin been living there? And have these two had any history which have resulted in fighting before being moved to the aviary?
They have lived in a smaller aviary side by side with a mesh keeping them apart for the last year. We moved the B&G first about a month ago then the Harlequin, which has only 5 days in the new aviary. The B&G is bonded to me so anyone or bird that gets close to him makes him aggressive. We wanted to wait till the Harlequin could fly.

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
First let me say that is the most AMAZING aviary I've ever seen! You have some very lucky birds!

It will be a challenge to get you to let them hang out together in there especially if you are seeing them fight right now for dominance of the space. I would only allow them to be in the aviary together when you are there to supervise. Short small meetings with you there the entire time watching. If you see immediate aggression move the bird out who is being bullied and let him stay in the house elsewhere. Perhaps you can put that bird in the aviary later in the day and move the B&G into the flight cage later in the day and let the harleq parrot have some time in the aviary daily.

Some birds will eventually get along and live harmoniously .... some birds don't. Your B&G is in charge here. He has bonded with you and feels he is the king, especially in that awesome aviary. I can understand his feeling this way.

I don't think I would want to share that aviary with anyone either! Be patient and supervise the visits. Only time will tell!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First let me say that is the most AMAZING aviary I've ever seen! You have some very lucky birds!

It will be a challenge to get you to let them hang out together in there especially if you are seeing them fight right now for dominance of the space. I would only allow them to be in the aviary together when you are there to supervise. Short small meetings with you there the entire time watching. If you see immediate aggression move the bird out who is being bullied and let him stay in the house elsewhere. Perhaps you can put that bird in the aviary later in the day and move the B&G into the flight cage later in the day and let the harleq parrot have some time in the aviary daily.

Some birds will eventually get along and live harmoniously .... some birds don't. Your B&G is in charge here. He has bonded with you and feels he is the king, especially in that awesome aviary. I can understand his feeling this way.

I don't think I would want to share that aviary with anyone either! Be patient and supervise the visits. Only time will tell!
thank you for your reply and advise, I'm going to let the Harlequin get familiar and confident with his new aviary then bring back the B&G to his large cage. I will try to introduce him at a later date and supervise the visit to see ow it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts