Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share some pictures of my babies I have now. Two of my parakeets and cockatiels decided to pair up and mate so now I have some babies that are all doing pretty great for the most part. The cockatiels laid 4 eggs. One died early after hatching so I have 3 left that are doing great. From what I can see from their pin feathers the oldest looks like it will be a normal gray like the parents and the second one looks like it will be pied because most of his pins are yellow with some gray ones. The parakeets laid 8 eggs, 5 have hatched so far, but 3 are still alive and the oldest is starting to get some little feathers. Two died soon after hatching. The remaining 3 eggs I believe are infertile, but I'm going to leave them in awhile to see what happens. I have some pics of them all for you guys to see. Hope you like them. One of the parakeets does have splayed legs. Both legs are sticking out to the side, but you will see in the pics that I have done something to try and fix them. Hopefully it will work. Let me know if you have any suggestions or if what I've done is ok.

Here are the ages on them all

Cockatiels
1st baby - 14 days
2nd baby - 13 days
3rd baby - 9 dys

Parakeets
1st baby - 9 days
2nd baby - 6 days
3rd baby - 4 days

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Wow - lots of babies! Nice leg splint on the keet baby :thumbsup: That looks like it should fix it, but I haven't directly worked with splayed legs. Hopefully one of the more experienced breeder will be able to chime in too

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I don't think the splint is going to work. I have changed it once since I put the other on to keep from poop building up and that was yesterday. When I took it off to replace it the legs seemed to spread out as they were before I put the splint on. I think it was too bad to fix. I thinking since he was the first baby to hatch he wan't able to get traction on the bottom of the nest box because at that time anything I would put in it the mom would throw out. I have read that it could of been from the parents sitting on them too hard, which may have been contributed to it, but by the time I was able to notice it things were too bad. He seemed to get one leg under him a little better, but not much difference than it was from before. I'm definitely going to keep him though. Hopefully the one leg that got a little better will allow him to perch at least on one foot. I've tried calling some vet, but were not very helpful. Got a few more I've tried contacting before he gets any older, but I think he may be my "special" budgie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.