Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have allergies to birds but refuse to give their bird away because of it?
I think my allergies are getting worse I had 12 cockatiels I gave away 6 to the same person not because of my allergies but because I have way to many to care for them all.
I thought I had 25 budgies but I counted the other day and have over 30 not counting the babies.
I'm not giving away my budgies either besides the babies. I think all the dust from that are making it worse. :( Once summer comes it should be a little better because their be outside in a shed. What would happen if I keep birds? and I don't have health insurance to go to the doctors I haven't been to the doctors since I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have allergies for most things furry or feathery but it hasn't really affected my health to be honest :)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I know that the dust from birds like cockatiels and cockatoos can make allergies really bad. To lower that, give your cockatiels baths often (they will have less dust the more you bathe them) and continue to often sweep up their dust around their cages and in their cages. I know that if I had allergies and they got worst because of my birds, I would not get rid of them. Maybe just stop getting the ones that have a lot of dust all over their feathers. Hope your allergies get better. :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that the dust from birds like cockatiels and cockatoos can make allergies really bad. To lower that, give your cockatiels baths often (they will have less dust the more you bathe them) and continue to often sweep up their dust around their cages and in their cages. I know that if I had allergies and they got worst because of my birds, I would not get rid of them. Maybe just stop getting the ones that have a lot of dust all over their feathers. Hope your allergies get better. :)
I do sweep and bathe them I don't think it's helping it cockatiels I heard are the worst for dust but when you have over 30 budgies and lovebirds and finches it adds up. That's why I wanna build me an avairy. :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I thought I had allergies to birds years ago, and I gave up my birds. Several years later I discovered I am actually not allergic to birds, but I am highly allergic to gluten, which can be found in wheat, barley, and rye. I was instead allergic to the foods I was feeding the birds. I had a lory, and their food is powdery, and it would get airborne when I fed. That was what was making me sick.

I do think I am allergic to chickens, but it could be their feed, too. My kids used to have chickens, but they no longer do. I really like chickens, though.

Dusty birds are more irritating to many people, so that would include cockatiels, cockatoos, greys, and maybe some others I am unaware of. However, some people are allergic to all birds.

Do you have an air purifier? I think I would look into the possibility of getting an air purifier if I were you. It would probably help the air quality no matter what particle in the air you are actually reacting to.

After finding out what I am really allergic to, we now have 6 birds. I wasn't going to get any of the dusty birds, because of my past, but I really wanted a grey and I interacted with greys quite a bit and thought I would be ok. So far so good.

I very much recommend the air purifier, and you might even need more than one. The outdoor aviary is probably any even better idea. Both are expensive, but your health is priceless.

I recently had some allergy treatments for my own allergy to gluten. I will let you know in a while if I think it helped. If it helps, I will recommend it to others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Constant exposure to an allergen will cause your allergy to slowly get worse and worse as time goes by.

Get a good Hepa filter to help minimize your exposure. Get a big one that is rated for a larger space than you will be using it in so it so it does a good job of cleaning the air, has more capacity so it doesn't need to be serviced as often and still does the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.