Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
This is my oldest Catalina hybrid Macaw, Angel. He was born with leg and joint disabilities that prevent him from standing like his normal younger rotten brother Roscoe.

Angel can't stand or walk, but he can climb with the best of them and lives life to the fullest. He is a sheer pleasure to own, no problem at all and only requires a few extra limbs in his enclosure to lean across.

He has a special sweet gentle soul. If any of you ever get the chance to own a special parrot that some would pass up thinking , "Too much work!" Please check a little closer, not all special needs birds are any more work to care for than their able bodied siblings.

· Premium Member
17,691 Posts
He is absolutely beautiful! It doesn't bother me if a bird has a 'disability'. As long as you can make them comfortable and give them the quality of life they deserve then they're happy as can be :)

Reactions: Turquoise

· Registered
1,647 Posts
He has awesome colors and such a kind and friendly face, a real cutie. :)
Disabled parrots are often very kind and bonded, so was my linnie Janosch who died in September.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Daisy & Karin. Angel doesn't even know he's different. Well, maybe in a way he does, but he has never let that stop him from anything except standing or walking like his normal brother.

· Premium Member
17,691 Posts
They're more strong willed than most of us will ever be!

Reactions: Turquoise

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes they are and have no idea they should have limitations. Therefore, most are only limited to what their flock leaders (us) set for them.

If we let them blossom and grow they will flourish. If we hold them back they will wither and die the same as us non feathered folks when treated like invalids.

When I first brought Roscoe & Angel home I was so worried about Angel falling and hurting himself. After all he had a 6ft fall to the floor in their enclosure. Well, he was and still is a daredevil to be sure! He will hang from the top wire by his beak stick his legs straight out from his sides and wiggle them as only he can do and say, "Hello" Hello" to me when I come in from work in the early mornings. It makes working long 12 hr shifts worth it to hear such a endearing greeting once home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.