Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh my gosh - that is so tiny! What kind of bird is it? I really miss breeding and handfeeding.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
great pictures! thanks for sharing

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok since the last post the youngest chick never made it but we had another that hatched and it,s siblings has been hogging all the food so i have been hand feeding her she has gone from 3 grams to 5 grams she is a very tiny thing but is gaining weight

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
sorry for your loss :(

but at least you have the others!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is the chick i been hand feeding since day 1

but today mom started to feed the chick

here are the othe 2 chicks

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Bless! They look great

·
Registered
115 Posts
So sorry the little one didn't make it. The others are just darling! I love all the peach fuzz on them. Do you usually let the parents feed them for a while and then pull them and hand feed or do you let the parents feed them until they are weaned? I have a tiel that was parent fed but the lady I got him from handled them the whole time and he is very tame. I used to think that they had to be hand fed to be tame but she proved that wrong. lol All the babies I have seen come from her are very tame.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i normally let the parents feed them i hand tame them but at this time i,m i have 3 chicks i,m hand feeding 1 was from parents that were not feeding her so i had to the other 2 i,m hand feeding were from a so called friend who said the parents were not feeding them he drove them down from windsor wich is 1.5 hours away at 1 am i was so concerned of the temperature but when he got here there crops were full so he still left them here mind you i gave him a what to for and then he had the gull to expect all the money i will make on them sent to him so i said you have 2 choices either take them back with you or leave them here with not getting any money as i will be doing the handfeeding with my time spending my money on the formula so he just left them here latter on he said i want no contact with you at all ever again wich is fine with me my main concern is the health and welfare of the chicks

and yes hand tamming will also keep the chicks tame as long as the breeder keeps holding them 2-3 times a day

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Allen,
Your "friend" sounds like someone who would be impossible to please, but I am happy for the chicks that they are with you.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I agree with nanay on that one Allen

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow people amaze me sometimes. So, are you a full time breeder or just do it for hobby? Good for you for taking them in and taking care of them. They are better off. I'm guessing the guy didn't know how to hand feed? If you're going to breed, you should always know how to hand feed because you never know what will happen. I would love to be able to breed my conures but with working I know I wouldn't have the time to do all the hand feedings. While I hand fed Alex I managed to sneak him to work several times when my sister couldn't make it over to feed him. Luckily my bosses don't come around much and I guess being the supervisor helps. lol
I got Alex spur of the moment because the breeder didn't want him at a week old because his left leg is turned almost backwards. When I saw the ad that he was going to give him to the first person to take him, I ran to get him. I learned at the last minute how to make a brooder, hand feed and everything I needed to know to raise him. He is now a happy 7 month old that loves his mama and impresses me more and more each day with all the new things he's doing and learns. Raising babies is awesome, I just don't know that I could sale them because I would become attached to them all. lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.