Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just got a parot this is the first time ive had a bird since i wa 8and now imonly 14 almost 15:) and could do with advice i have a IRN and ive had her for 2 weeks she is compleatly tame and i love her :lovehearts: a few tips would be nice thanx:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
What type of parrot have you got first of all? :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Ringnecks need regular handling to keep super tame like that - the more time and attention you can give her the better :thumbsup: They're also really intelligent birds and need a good bit of stimulation, so make sure to rotate toys around in her cage when you can (usually every week or 2). They don't have to be new toys, just ones she hasn't seen in a while. I have about 10-12 toys for my Macaw and she has 3-4 in the cage at a time and I rotate them around to keep her busy

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only problem is that it is hard to find bird toys in south africa and in cape town its even harder

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My vet suggests offering bird safe branches for stimulation. I have no idea how hard those would be to find in your area, but they are good if you can find them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are lots of resources for making your own parrot toys - if you google "make your own parrot toys" or "diy parrot toys" or something similar, I'm sure you'll find lots of tutorials, directions and ideas. The materials are often easy to find - you can even make toys out of newspaper (here is a great tutorial for a newspaper ring full of seeds that your bird can rip apart). The most important thing is to make sure that the materials you use are safe for your parrot to eat.

I've also heard that if you find branches, you can bake them in the oven at a low temperature to kill any bugs or germs. But make absolutely sure that the kind of wood you get is safe for parrots - there are some kinds of wood that can make your parrot sick if they chew on it (which they will!).

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
As people have said above there are plenty of things you can make for your parrot to play with. Hopefully if you can find local resources or perhaps just things from around the house then the bird will be happy.

We use newspaper for our birds and even a scrunched up piece can keep them going for hours.

Like others have said, google some methods!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have found her fav toy after spending loads of money on toys from all over the city i found out her fav toys are pegs :rolleyes: oh well at least she is haveing fun :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Pegs, I will see if that works with my birds! XD Sounds like fun haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.